Will Ohio ever become a STAND YOUR GROUND state?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Will Ohio ever become a STAND YOUR GROUND state?

Post by Ray81 »

Michigan, Pennsylvania, KY and Indiana are all STAND YOUR GROUND states.
Ohio is surrounded by Stand your ground states, but Ohio has a duty to retreat.
HB 203 was a good start, but it didn't go anywhere.
When are we gonna pass stand your ground in OHIO?
Will this happen in the next few years? What do we need to do? Who can we write to?
JediSkipdogg

Re: Will Ohio ever become a STAND YOUR GROUND state?

Post by JediSkipdogg »

When the anti's stop putting so much pressure on it being a shoot at will issue and saying that the Zimmerman/Martin case was a Stand Your Ground case. Unfortunately, most states gained SYG before that mess in Florida. I'd have to research, but I've venture since then, none have gained it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Honestly I would rather see us get rid of the backwards prove your case is more likely than not standard by which we are the only state in the country that uses it.
Otoh I don't worry much about duty to retreat as there are very few circumstances where that is an option for me owing to my disability.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

I practice shooting while backing up.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Ray81 wrote:...
Will this happen in the next few years? What do we need to do? Who can we write to?
Ray, the FIRST thing you "need" to do is support a pro-gun rights organization WITHIN the state of Ohio, like, say, maybe Ohioans for Concealed Carry?

Join as a member ($25/year) or, preferably, as a patron member ($60/year).

This money goes directly to supporting the changes you are looking for. OFCC is an all-volunteer organization, top to bottom.

Do you enjoy the OFCC forums? I do. I think this forum is the second-best place to find out about firearms law in Ohio (The best? My attorney's office. :wink: )

There are annual fees for domain names, fees for hosting and server upkeep. There are fees that have to be paid to the state to keep the business running. Printing and postage are not cheap, I'm sure.

But what do you get for supporting OFCC financially? You get the group RESPONSIBLE FOR OHIO'S SHALL-ISSUE CONCEALED CARRY LAW BECOMING A REALITY to keep working on passing good laws and fighting and repealing bad laws.

The second thing you "need" to do is come visit us at the Westland Gun Show on the weekend of April 25th. If you can sit behind a table and talk to people about guns for about 4 hours, we'll get you into the show for free AND put your name in a drawing for a gun giveaway.

The third thing you "need" to do is exactly what you are already doing. Learning.

Continue to seek out knowledge, whether it's on this forum, at the gun show table with actual OFCC members 8) , by reading or by taking more training...keep learning. The best learning is to join us at the Statehouse for a rally (symbolic activism) or to testify in front of a legislative committee (actual activism). Once you've learned how the legislative process actually works, you will understand two things:

#1 - Schoolhouse Rock really is just a cartoon for children. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#2 - There is merit in the old saying, "Laws are like sausages. It's better not to see them being made."

I put the word "need"
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

^^Good post ^^
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Looks like my entire post didn't make it. Oops.

As I was saying, I put the word "need" in quotes because you don't "need" to do anything. OFCC is already here fighting on your behalf, at the state level AND at the county, township, city, village and at any other level of political subdivision within the state.

While many of the volunteers here work independently or in small groups, those and larger efforts are coordinated here on this forum. If you find a problem at 11 o'clock at night, you can post that info here and someone else can start working on it first thing in the morning. If you hear of a problem on the other side of the state, post it here and someone who lives in or closer to that area can start working on it. When it's time to put on a show of force down at the Statehouse, such as overflowing the seating area of a committee hearing room, it gets announced here.

The only question is whether you "want" OFCC to keep being the nerve center of pro-gun activism in Ohio.

If that's what you "want", then joining as a member is truly what you "need".
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Donate money to leadership…broken record… broken record…donate time and money to work for candidates who support your views, etc. It isn't cheap in terms of time and money. Support those organizations which mirror your views.

You may get something out of it if you put something into it.
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Done. I became a paid member of OFCC.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

'Effing A right!!

And WELCOME!!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Thanks....

Did anyone introduce Stand your ground bill this year?
I can't find anything online...
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I think there has been talk of an SYG bill, bit other bills are of more importance it seems at the moment.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

As has been previously mentioned the Zimmerman/Martin case is a huge speed bump on the road to SYG. I am also convinced Bloomberg, Sharpton and their ilk along with the Lewinski media are poised to strike when a serious effort is made to pass SYG in Ohio. I would like to see SYG also. That said, I believe our limited resources should be directed where it will do the most good.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
BobK

Post by BobK »

The concept needs to be introduced with a new name. Call it something other than "Stand Your Ground".
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

BobK wrote:The concept needs to be introduced with a new name. Call it something other than "Stand Your Ground".

Probably a very good idea, I think the name Stand your ground has a stigma attached to it now.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson