Will Ohio ever become a STAND YOUR GROUND state?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Will Ohio ever become a STAND YOUR GROUND state?

Post by Ray81 »

BobK wrote:The concept needs to be introduced with a new name. Call it something other than "Stand Your Ground".
A few names for the new SYG bill..

- Freedom bill
- Defensive bill
- Right to live bill
- Common sense bill
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Sovereign Citizen Bill.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Keep in mind that during the last legislative session I don't think we called it a SYG bill. The other side did. Any bill that removes the duty to retreat is going to automatically have Stand Your Ground, Kill at Will, and Skittles attached to it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Keep in mind that during the last legislative session I don't think we called it a SYG bill. The other side did. Any bill that removes the duty to retreat is going to automatically have Stand Your Ground, Kill at Will, and Skittles attached to it.

I read in another thread that duty to retreat isnt found anywhere in the ORC... If this is true, why haven't defense lawyers used this?.. If its just been legislated from the bench?
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Keep in mind that during the last legislative session I don't think we called it a SYG bill. The other side did. Any bill that removes the duty to retreat is going to automatically have Stand Your Ground, Kill at Will, and Skittles attached to it.

I read in another thread that duty to retreat isnt found anywhere in the ORC... If this is true, why haven't defense lawyers used this?.. If its just been legislated from the bench?
They have. There's numerous cases where self defense has been granted to individuals where there was a obvious duty to retreat available to them. I'm sure Werz could find those cases much easier than I could. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters does it all the time. He granted immunity to someone that walked out of their house to investigate a disturbance in their own front yard. THe subject came after the homeowner resulting in the homeowner shooting him. The homeowner could have turned around and walked right back in his front door and slammed it shut but instead used lethal force. He was in a sence granted SYG. The problem is, that one was granted without going to trial, it was presented to grand jury, but never went to trial so there is no case really associated with it.

You will find most self-defense don't even make it to the courtroom. If the police and prosecutor agree it's clear cut self-defense, it will never see grand jury or a physical courtroom.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:

They have. There's numerous cases where self defense has been granted to individuals where there was a obvious duty to retreat available to them. I'm sure Werz could find those cases much easier than I could. Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters does it all the time. He granted immunity to someone that walked out of their house to investigate a disturbance in their own front yard. THe subject came after the homeowner resulting in the homeowner shooting him. The homeowner could have turned around and walked right back in his front door and slammed it shut but instead used lethal force. He was in a sence granted SYG. The problem is, that one was granted without going to trial, it was presented to grand jury, but never went to trial so there is no case really associated with it.

You will find most self-defense don't even make it to the courtroom. If the police and prosecutor agree it's clear cut self-defense, it will never see grand jury or a physical courtroom.

That makes sense.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I like the term "Stand Your Ground", and IMO, the problem is that we on the side of gun rights shun the term.
In HB203 it was marketed as "removing the duty to retreat" and the antis called it SYG.
When that happened way too much time was spent trying to distance our bill from the term, (as if we agreed that SYG is bad), instead of explaining why SYG is needed.

Stand Your Ground; the very notion is as American as baseball, hot dogs, and Mom's apple pie
If I am attacked, why should I have to run away before I can defend myself?

"duty to retreat" is nothing more than a "safe criminal" law,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Received this mailing from State Representative Ron Hood (District 78) indicating he is going to try to get a Stand-Your-Ground law passed.
Dear Friend:
Imagine being bloodied and beaten - and then hit with a stiff prison sentence for simply using a firearm to defend your life against criminal attack.
Sadly, without a Stand-Your-Ground Law, that nightmare scenario can quickly become REALITY in Ohio
I think that is flat-out unacceptable.
And with your help, I'm ready to pass Stand-Your-Ground into Law in Ohio.

Similar bills have already been on the move in Columbus only to die in the State Senate.
But with Ohio Gun Owners' "take no prisoners" legislative approach - and your action today - I believe we can finally pass Stand-Your-Ground in Ohio
It's long past time.
But it won't happen without you.
So please read Chris' letter, take action and support Ohio Gun Owners' efforts as generously as you can TODAY.

Sincerely,
Ron Hood (signature)
Representative Ron Hood
Ohio Statehouse District 78
Accompanying this letter was a 4 page letter from Ohio Gun Owners along with petitions that could be signed and mailed to State Legislature.
I looked on Ohio Gun Owners website http://www.ohiogunowners.org/ to see if they had this letter posted so I could link to it but they do not.

If anyone wants to read their letter I will upload it to one of my cloud storage sites and share a link.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

18M_RWR wrote:Accompanying this letter was a 4 page letter from Ohio Gun Owners along with petitions that could be signed and mailed to State Legislature.
I looked on Ohio Gun Owners website http://www.ohiogunowners.org/ to see if they had this letter posted so I could link to it but they do not.
Oh, brother. There's a fifth gun rights group in Ohio? The fragmentation of the movement continues.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

rickt wrote: Oh, brother. There's a fifth gun rights group in Ohio? The fragmentation of the movement continues.
Their website header has this slogan "Ohio's only No Compromise Gun Group"
So it would seem that the people who have organized the group feel that the other groups are compromising.
The letter from Ohio Gun Owners group is signed by Chris Dorr (Executive Director).

I signed up for their email list to see what they are doing and this was the thank you page on the website:
Thank you for joining our email list. Ohio Gun Owners is the fastest growing gun rights organization in Ohio.

As a true grassroots movement we are comprised of farmers, doctors, mechanics, teachers, hunters, military personnel, and retirees. These are the people that we report to – not a boss 1,000 miles away who doesn’t understand Ohio and what Ohioans want.

By using mail, email and media outlets we inform Ohioans all over the state about policy and legislation regarding their right to bear arms in a "No-Compromise" manner.

By "No-Compromise" we exist to fight for gun rights. We do not patronize a political party. We do not cut backroom deals. We don’t take the bribes so often offered to grassroots organizations. We do not assume to have the authority to bargain away some of your rights in exchange for securing others. We will never back down.

I will see if Ron Hood will reply to my email with some details and status of his proposed Stand-Your-Ground law.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

They were founded in "late fall 2015" so they are less than five months old and have no track record what so ever.
They are selling memberships ranging from $35 to $500 and take contributions as well
Two out of the five tabs on their website are for taking money and they are headquartered in Beavercreek Ohio
They promise their members "the option to speak one on one with legislators" (lifetime members only, $500)
They sound like they will only share information with their members and not the public
And their website says nothing about the people behind the site and who or what they will do with the money

Sounds like a pig in a poke to me
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Secretary of State has their Articles of Incorporation for a Domestic, Not-for-Profit Corporation, filed 8/21/15.

The blurb about the corporation's purpose is worded to meet IRS guidelines for 501(c)4 status.

There is only one incorporator: Richard Knodel

The business address listed on the Ohio Gun Owners web site is 395 Dayton-Zenia Rd, (a non-existant address) but the company articles list the address as 3195 Dayton-Xenia Rd. The post office box numbers for both addresses are also different.

His web site states that the group is a 501(c)4, but it's so new I couldn't find him listed in the IRS Exempt Organization Select Check tool. I WAS able to confirm the validity of his 501(c)4 status with the IRS Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract. The EIN for the organization is 475056180.

A phone call to the listed number showed that it is a Google Voice number. I left a message about the typos on their web site.

While I DO hope this "group" finds its footing, it is completely virtual and may just be someone trying to scam some donations.

Time will tell.
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Thanks 'MyWifeSaidYes' for the investigative work!
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Lookingatagunscam

Post by Lookingatagunscam »

Hello,

I spend a significant amount of my time doing Second Amendment advocacy and I am greatly disturbed by a group of brothers who are going state to state and trying to shut down legitimate 2A organizations and stealing money from gun owners by stirring fear and then lining their pockets.

We're looking at fraud in their non-profit forms and I found some of you were looking into Chris Dorr. Chris and his brothers Aaron and Ben have been conning gun owners from state to state.

Here is a fb page with some good evidence that is working to stop them. https://www.facebook.com/trueiowagunowners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the videos are laughable. I just hate the idea of scamming emotional gun owners.

I wanted to know if anyone here had any good info on this scam? Any evidence? Any anecdotes? Anything else figured out in Ohio?

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Lookingatagunscam wrote: We're looking at fraud in their non-profit forms and I found some of you were looking into Chris Dorr.
Please explain this
What do you mean you were "looking at fraud in their non-profit forms and found some of" us ?

What are we doing in their non profit forms?
Have they listed us in them somehow?
Ain't activism fun?