Out of State CCW permit and Non expired in state

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nick112288

Out of State CCW permit and Non expired in state

Post by nick112288 »

So I've tried calling my local Sheriff to get the answer for the last hour, and no one has answered the phones, so I'm going to bring this to you guys.

So as the new law states an Ohio CCW holder that moves out of state, the license is still valid until expiration, and can not be renewed. Now does this apply to ANY non expired permits? I moved to Indiana last February, but my license doesn't expire for another 2 years. Am I covered or do I need to apply for a new Ohio now? Yes I work in Ohio. I'm employed by the City of Cincinnati.

Another thing is are these new live out of state but work in state permits treated as an Out of State license or in state? I was kind of confused because what I read said you do it exactly like an in state applicant only difference is you have to prove you work in the state.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Out of State CCW permit and Non expired in state

Post by JediSkipdogg »

There is no such thing as an Ohio out-of-state license when it comes to legalities, what many refer to as a non-resident. Ohio issues one license, a State of Ohio Concealed Handgun License.

Your license will still be good until it expires. At that time, you'll then renew, and prove that you still work in Ohio.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

Ok good to know!

And the reason I asked about resident vs non-resident is South Carolina only recognizes Ohio resident concealed carry permits. Does that mean if your drivers license is a different state they won't recognize the permit since there is no nonresident one?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

nick112288 wrote:Ok good to know!

And the reason I asked about resident vs non-resident is South Carolina only recognizes Ohio resident concealed carry permits. Does that mean if your drivers license is a different state they won't recognize the permit since there is no nonresident one?
That would probably be up to how South Carolina treats it. I know with regards to Ohio law if we accepted the state's license, we also accepted their non-resident license. There was a glitch for a long time with regards to someone wording in the Arizona reciprocity agreement stating it only honored resident licenses, but without reading that agreement word for word, one would never know there was an issue.

I would assume South Carolina would probably treat is as a non-resident if there's another state's address on it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

At least one "resident only" permits state requires the licensee to carry their out of state license with a DL or ID issued by that same state confirming their address. Regardless of what addresses are shown on what documents, should this matter ever get to trial it will be up to the trier of fact to decide.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

FL, MI, and CO have provisions in their law stating that the license holder must be a resident of the state of the license they are carrying under. Others may to but those were the ones I am aware of off the top of my head.