For those who are impatient with the pace of gun bills in OH

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

For those who are impatient with the pace of gun bills in OH

Post by rickt »

I'm really only repeating something that Tweed has said repeatedly, but this is the key to making things happen in the Ohio General Assembly:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... nding.html (Click on the graphic for details)

For comparison sake, if I am reading the Ohio Secretary of State's web site correctly, here is what our two state gun rights organizations contributed in the last election cycle:

OFCC: $3000.00

BFA: $5600.00
JediSkipdogg

Re: For those who are impatient with the pace of gun bills i

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Sounds about right but a few points to make...

1) We've been told they do not need our money. The big candidates want tens of thousands and not the small donations. The small candidates want anything and want it early to help give them a head start.

2) We obviously need more money. Want us to give 1 million? Well, donate 1 million. :lol: Donations to candidates come out of the OFCC PAC which is different than the OFCC general memberships. Shortly we may be announcing a PAC fundraiser as I have a feeling it may be needed big time during the next election.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

1.) It’s about money.

2.) It’s about where the money goes, if the donating organization does not donate green money, i.e. tactical donations.

Here’s an example: Representative Joe Doakes is a freshman Democrat representative in our OGA, who is strong on pro-gun issues.

Conversely, Representative Bill Smith is a Republican representative in our OGA, who is in leadership, and who is moderate on pro-gun issues.

Now, an organization has limited funds and is going to donate to which pol?

Why?
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Question. Is there a breakdown as to whom OFCC donated to in the OGA for the last election cycle? If so, can I see it?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I still wish we had an activist/lobbyist who could afford to live in downtown Columbus, and have lots of free time for in-person jawing with our elected officials. Not as good as cash infusions, but it sure helped Kentuckians get a better carry license law right from day one. (Three of the founders of Ky.'s equvalent group to OFCC lived and worked right in Frankfort.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Brian D. wrote:I still wish we had an activist/lobbyist who could afford to live in downtown Columbus, and have lots of free time for in-person jawing with our elected officials. Not as good as cash infusions, but it sure helped Kentuckians get a better carry license law right from day one. (Three of the founders of Ky.'s equvalent group to OFCC lived and worked right in Frankfort.)
Raise money. Raise more money. Convince the membership why this is important for our cause.

Contract with a part-time lobbyist or a retired lobbyist.

Limit our issues to 1 or 2 per cycle.

I don't subscribe to the philosophy that pols don't want our money. They want our money. We just don't have green money to donate. Make politically effective donations.

Please list the pols who are sympathetic to our cause but who have refused or returned our contributions. Names? (They want our money.)

I used to attend a number of my state senator's fund-raisers. They were always very crowded. Yet, I was the only constituent in the room. Who were those non-constituents, and why would they attend a fund raiser for a member of the OGA majority for a state senator who lived in the middle of nowhere? Either they were "googovs" or they were lobbyists, bearing checks. (Go with lobbyists bearing checks.)
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

How much per pro-gun bill processed and signed by the Governor ? Can a shorter delivery time be obtained for more $$$ ? :mrgreen:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

curmudgeon3 wrote:How much per pro-gun bill processed and signed by the Governor ? Can a shorter delivery time be obtained for more $$$ ? :mrgreen:
Question 1: I have no idea.

Question 2: we cannot compete with the big money interests in Ohio so that issue is moot.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Tweed Ring wrote:Question. Is there a breakdown as to whom OFCC donated to in the OGA for the last election cycle? If so, can I see it?

Morne was running that end of things, I thought. He should know.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Tweed Ring wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:How much per pro-gun bill processed and signed by the Governor ? Can a shorter delivery time be obtained for more $$$ ? :mrgreen:

Question 2: we cannot compete with the big money interests in Ohio so that issue is moot.
We can compete in a manner which is very effective, but not in a manner which is likely to gain much traction here.

Door-to-door canvassing - with the proper script and the proper entry of answers into the computerized database - has been shown to be enormously effective. That is not my opinion. That is the opinion and finding of Chris McNulty, former Political Director for the Republican National Committee.

Who here is willing to do that? Probably nobody. I don't like it, either, but I occasionally do it.

[Morne heard McNulty say the same thing at our recent Lincoln Day Banquet, so he will probably agree.]
Last edited by Werz on Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Brian D. wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:Question. Is there a breakdown as to whom OFCC donated to in the OGA for the last election cycle? If so, can I see it?

Morne was running that end of things, I thought. He should know.
I looked at the SoS's website. None of the OFCC money went to leadership. That's my point.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Werz wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:

We can compete in a manner which is very effective, but not in a manner which is likely to gain much traction here.

Door-to-door canvassing - with the proper script and the proper entry of answers into the computerized database - has been shown to be enormously effective. That is not my opinion. That is the opinion and finding of Chris McNulty, former Political Director for the Republican National Committee.

Who here is willing to do that? Probably nobody. I don't like it, either, but I occasionally do it.

[Morne heard McNulty say the same thing at our recent Lincoln Day Banquet, so he will probably agree.]
Door-to-door has been effective in many campaigns. I used to do it with my candidates. It does require a lot of energy and dedication.

We have state-wide issues. We'd need lots of people to mount an effective door-to-door campaign. I think we, as an organization, are better served targeting leadership in the OGA.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Tweed Ring wrote:

The subscribers to OFCC.ORG can compete by not voting for or endorsing candidates that have demonstrated anti-RKBA tendencies in the past, regardless of what they say about the subject.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:

The subscribers to OFCC.ORG can compete by not voting for or endorsing candidates that have demonstrated anti-RKBA tendencies in the past, regardless of what they say about the subject.
Again it's not only about candidates - it's also about supporting leadership. Leadership decides which proposals move from committee and are subject to a vote.I doubt the OFCC suits will support nor endorse any pol who, by word and/or by deed, espouses or votes against gun rights.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

From the Secretary of State Campaign Finance filings (1/1/14 - 12/31/14):

OFCC Contributions:
10/24/2014 - $1,000.00 - CITIZENS FOR COMMON SENSE AND FRIENDS OF STEVE KRAUS
10/21/2014 - $1,000.00 - NEWBERN FOR OHIO
10/28/2014 - $500.00 - FRIENDS OF NAN BAKER
10/21/2014 - $500.00 - FRIENDS OF DEBBIE PHILLIPS

That other pro-gun groups' contributions and expenditures:
11/3/2014 - $1,000.00 - FRIENDS OF FABER
10/24/2014 - $1,000.00 - TERRY JOHNSON FOR STATE REP
11/10/2014 - $1,000.00 - HUSTED FOR OHIO
10/28/2014 - $500.00 - FRENCH FOR JUSTICE
10/27/2014 - $500.00 - FRIENDS OF DEBBIE PHILLIPS
6/11/2014 - $500.00 - COMMITTEE TO ELECT CLIFF ROSENBERGER
6/11/2014 - $500.00 - CITIZENS FOR AMSTUTZ
10/27/2014 - $500.00 - KENNEDY FOR OHIO
11/3/2014 - $500.00 - CITIZENS FOR ANNE GONZALES
10/24/2014 - $250.00 - FRIENDS OF JONATHAN DEVER
9/3/2014 - $250.00 - BALDWIN FOR JUDGE COMMITTEE
4/21/2014 - $250.00 - KENNEDY FOR OHIO
11/10/2014 - $250.00 - CITIZENS FOR BISHOFF
10/24/2014 - $100.00 - CITIZENS FOR NIRAJ ANTANI
9/6/2014 - $50.00 - PETERSON FOR GOOD GOVERNMENT
8/28/2014 - $50.00 - CITIZENS FOR NIRAJ ANTANI
5/17/2014 - $35.00 - KENNEDY FOR OHIO

2/3/2014 - $45.00 - EVENT TICKET - CITIZENS FOR CHERYL GROSSMAN
2/26/2014 - $800.00 - EVENT TICKETS - DAVID YOST FOR AUDITOR OF STATE
4/2/2014 - $500.00 - EVENT TICKET - KASICH TAYLOR FOR OHIO
1/29/2014 - $90.00 - ANNUAL BANQUET - RON HOOD FOR OHIO
Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyWifeSaidYes