SB 103: Allow some townships to regulate firearm discharge

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: SB 103: Allow some townships to regulate firearm dischar

Post by evan price »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
someguy wrote:This is exactly why we want to leave the city. The indoor ranges just aren't the same experience. It seems to be getting harder and harder to get "out" as people move away from the city and take there city lifestyle with them. Some of us want to use our highspeed internet while shooting targets off our back porch.
And doing it all in a bathrobe. :mrgreen:

I have the distinction of shooting junk water heaters at various ranges in my side yard while on the roof of my house wearing nothing but boxer shorts with a scoped Rem700.
My nosy neighbor made a U-turn and didn't come back for days.
Asphalt shingles burn even when it's not that hot outside.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:This has been getting worse and worse. Back in 1978, I built a house in Stonelick Township in Clermont County. Across the street from me lived a couple and their next door neighbor was the elderly aunt of the wife. A couple from the city moved in nest door to me and called the township police and the sheriff repeatedly on the aunt when she went out with a 12 gauge and decimated the gopher population that had moved into her yard. They just couldn't get it through their heads that it was legal even though the police and sheriff refused to come out.
Used to be a neighbor from Massachusetts close to the gravel pit area my friends and I shoot in outside of Xenia. Timmy would come over on his bicycle and tell us how "the sheriff's department is on its way", which was only an accurate statement once. The deputy saw what we were doing and went to have a less-than-friendly chat with Timmy, who apparently pestered the SO about all sorts of things.

Another time Timmy came over and asked to borrow a pen and some paper so he could write our licence plats numbers down and turn them all in to the police. We informed him he was now trespassing and if he wanted to beat the rap he'd better make a pretty quick departure because we were more than willing to hold him forcefully until the police answered OUR call. (No we weren't going to any of that, just wanted to see how fast he'd skedaddle.) One last desperate ploy he tried was telling us his wife was several months pregnant and she couldn't get any rest because of our Sunday afternoon shooting. A bit of investigation yielded the fact that "Mrs. Timmy" had moved back to Massachusetts several months earlier.

I honestly think the guy had (undiagnosed) mental illness. Only anti-gun nut I've seen in person with that much, uh, zeal, was the Broomhilda-looking woman up in Oberlin Ohio at their rally to "keep guns out of our parks" nonsense.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:I honestly think the guy had (undiagnosed) mental illness. Only anti-gun nut I've seen in person with that much, uh, zeal, was the Broomhilda-looking woman up in Oberlin Ohio at their rally to "keep guns out of our parks" nonsense.
Of course he had a mental illness. He had lived in Massachusetts for an extended period. My sister is further evidence of that.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
mreising

Post by mreising »

We used to use an operating gravel pit, on weekends with the owner's permission, as an alternate range for our classes. There was a neighbor of the gravel pit who apparently complained every time the gravel pit fired up the bulldozer or the gravel separator. Needless to say, he also complained about our shooting activities, said he moved out of the city to get some quiet. What kind of idiot thinks moving next to a gravel pit will give him some quiet? One day I got out my sound meter and showed him that the sound level at the boundary of the gravel pit property was 6-10 dB less than the noise from a car going by on the county road which was between the gravel pit and the neighbor's house. He still couldn't grasp the concept; I assume it was because he just didn't like guns, rather than the issue of the noise. Idiots!
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Voice

Post by Voice »

More likely than not it was just the simple matter of the human brain being *very* good at filtering out 'normal' noises, and noticing 'unusual' ones. He's used to the sound of a car driving down the road, so it doesn't stand out. He's not used to the other stuff, so his mind calls attention to it, so it *seems* louder.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Voice wrote:More likely than not it was just the simple matter of the human brain being *very* good at filtering out 'normal' noises, and noticing 'unusual' ones. He's used to the sound of a car driving down the road, so it doesn't stand out. He's not used to the other stuff, so his mind calls attention to it, so it *seems* louder.
But even after being presented with empirical evidence he wouldn't change his stance.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
welshj

Post by welshj »

I had a little different experience in the boonies out here awhile back...

While out shooting our AR's a friend and I had backed up a little more than my normal 30m range I usually plink at, after zeroing his in at 25m.
We went further into my front yard giving us... 60? meters to play for a bit.
I shoot on a diagonal line across my property so that there is nothing but open field and standing woods behind my backstop.

He was shooting, and I was spotting with binoculars when by chance I saw a shape appear at the edge of my vision.
I yelled "stop! stop! stop!"... before I remembered "cease fire!"

My neighbor had heard us shooting, and since it was something bigger than my .22, he came over to chat and hang out to watch.
He walked around the back of my house, and just so ever close to the left of the line of fire from where we were shooting...
Neither of us saw him til almost too late because of being behind the house.
five more feet might have ended him.

Only time so far in my life I have ever been scared shooting a gun.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Stuff like that is why EVERYONE owns the "cease fire!" command. Even on dedicated ranges we've had some odd situations. People coming over the backstop on 4-wheelers, deer and other wildlife walking across the range (unfortunately they were out of season :mrgreen: ), trains running behind the backstop, etc. ANYONE can call a cease fire, and the command is a red light. When it is called you stop immediately, you do not try to get in that last shot or two.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Prior to preemption, the legislature allowed municipalities to regulate firearms. They can still regulate firearm usage, hunting, fishing and trapping.

R.C. 504.04 specifically restricts townships from regulating firearms (in any way), hunting, fishing or trapping.

If a township wants to regulate these things, they simply need to be incorporated into an adjacent municipality and dissolve the township government.

No problem !!
MyWifeSaidYes