Ohio suppressors...

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dedhed

Ohio suppressors...

Post by dedhed »

Hello I was told by someone I know, which I don't normally believe, two things that I think are outrageous. I would like conformation to the truth on these two subjects. I have tried searching for the answers on a lot of different avenues with no success.
1. That a bill is somewhere in the Senate or House (Ohio) that will allow the purchase of suppressors in the State of Ohio with just a backround check i.e. just like purchasing a firearm. I believe this to be complete BS because you need a Federal Tax Stamp. So how would the State policies be lesser than the Feds? I understand the whole marijuana thing in Cali and Colorado, that it's still illegal federally wise but the States did it anyway.

2. Upon passing of this so called bill you will NEED to have a suppressor in order to hunt state game lands and/or municipality controlled hunting areas where they deem necessary. Whether your small game, turkey, deer, waterfowl, etc., etc., hunting. Then I threw out to him,"well what about muzzleloaders." He said don't matter. Once again I think this is complete BS, would just like to hear if this was even talked about or where this person got this crazy info. Thanks
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ohio suppressors...

Post by Stryker74 »

dedhed wrote:Hello I was told by someone I know, which I don't normally believe, two things that I think are outrageous. I would like conformation to the truth on these two subjects. I have tried searching for the answers on a lot of different avenues with no success.
1. That a bill is somewhere in the Senate or House (Ohio) that will allow the purchase of suppressors in the State of Ohio with just a backround check i.e. just like purchasing a firearm. I believe this to be complete BS because you need a Federal Tax Stamp. So how would the State policies be lesser than the Feds? I understand the whole marijuana thing in Cali and Colorado, that it's still illegal federally wise but the States did it anyway.

2. Upon passing of this so called bill you will NEED to have a suppressor in order to hunt state game lands and/or municipality controlled hunting areas where they deem necessary. Whether your small game, turkey, deer, waterfowl, etc., etc., hunting. Then I threw out to him,"well what about muzzleloaders." He said don't matter. Once again I think this is complete BS, would just like to hear if this was even talked about or where this person got this crazy info. Thanks
I see this is your first post - so welcome!

HB234 passed last year, was signed by Gov. Kasich, and goes into effect March 23rd 2015. What that bill did in terms of suppressors was a couple of main things.

1) It will allow for the use of suppressors for hunting purposes, but does not require them.

2) It declares that the county sheriff will sign as the Chief LEO for all ATF forms that are presented to his/her office - so long as the person can pass the same background check criteria that exists for a CHL. In addition, they will be required to pay the fee for the background check.

That does not mean you have to use your county sheriff. If you are in the jurisdiction of a local police department (like Columbus for instance), you can still present the forms to that departments chief. However, they do not have to sign them whereas the new law will make a county sheriff sign the form after the passage of the background check.

So, your friend has his/her information confused. The federal laws still apply for a tax stamp for suppressors. You will not be required to use a suppressor for hunting.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dedhed

Post by dedhed »

Thanks Stryker although I am familiar with HB 234. I was just perplexed to hear about no tax stamp or the required use of suppressors on State lands. Thanks for your reply. Once again his ignorance is not a defence, especially since I tried to tell him different.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

What if nearest Class 3 dealer is 67 miles away in another County. Where would the buyer need to get his ATF forms signed.
Sounds like a few round trips would be involved!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cruiser wrote:What if nearest Class 3 dealer is 67 miles away in another County. Where would the buyer need to get his ATF forms signed.
Sounds like a few round trips would be involved!
As I understand it, only your CLEO will do as far as the BATFE is concerned. So, you'll need your Sheriff to sign them, regardless off where you buy the suppressor.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The way it always worked with me is I go to the dealer and buy the item. We fill out the Form 4 and he gives it to me to mail. If I was buying as an individual I'd have to get them signed back home and mail them on. Since I've done my purchasing using a trust I just go home and print off a copy of my trust and head to the post office. When the Form 4 is approved it's actually sent to the dealer, not me. He calls me and says come pick up your toy.

The location of the dealer (as long as it's in my state of residence) is irrelevant.