HB 48: Remove some CPZs; modify affirmative defense

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: HB 48: Remove some CPZs; modify affirmative defense

Post by Tweed Ring »

rickt wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:Gutless pols removing houses of worship from the bill.. Especially after Charleston. Disgraceful!
Just another sign how weak the gun rights movement is here in Ohio.
I believe the OGA views the Ohio gun rights movement as slightly more influential than the Ohio Lepidopterists Society.

We bring little money to OGA Leadership, compared to the more influential interest groups and their lobbyists.

We are reviled by the Lewinsky media.

We do not seem to present a united front, and sometimes we demand legislation, and expend political capital which does not have a chance of becoming signed into law. We do not know how to successfully eat an elephant.

Some of us tilt at windmills.

We do not seem to have the support of the majority of Ohio voters.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Saw on 10TV that the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police and the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association are opposed. :evil:
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The bill just passed. I believe they said the vote was 63 to 25.

Now it heads to the Senate.
Last edited by rickt on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

good! does anyone have a website where it says who voted which way?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

WhyNot wrote:good! does anyone have a website where it says who voted which way?
Probably won't be available until tomorrow but ...

https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/sessio ... n-journals
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I saw that thanks. Looks like a 2 day lag, I'll live. Figured if you knew the tally you might just know who voted which way , also.

thanks!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

rickt wrote:The bill just passed. I believe they said the vote was 63 to 25.

Now it heads to the Senate.
Where it needs a lot of work to even get to the point of being anything but a school parking lot bill.
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

I would first like to thank everyone who worked towards this bill, it is much appreciated.

Secondly, I find it fascinating the dichotomy of opinions on something like this. On our forum, I read comments about how we didn't get enough, how tough ohio's gun laws are,etc. I travel for work almost every week, with San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Boston, and New York some of my most frequent areas.

We have it so good. Two weeks ago, had a drink and cigars with a customer. He lives just north of New York City in west Chester, but works in Manhattan. He used to take the train in but saw enough violence that he began to drive. He owns his home, so he's "allowed" to own a shot gun. He has tried for two years to obtain a permit just to own a handgun, and he says it'll be longer than that to maybe get a carry permit. Ohio sounded like heaven to him. I mentioned what we find to complain about are the notification requirements, how places voluntarily post, etc. he looked at me like I was crazy.

I'm not saying everything is perfect here, and certainly the battle's not over, but even in the 6 years I've been carrying we've had lots of positive movement. Transport laws are much more reasonable. Training requirements are reduced. Not having to produce your training certificate at renewal time, etc. Just thought I'd mention this in a word of thanks to those that fought to get us here so I and my family can benefit. While I think it's criminal people in those democrat strongholds are denied their constitutional rights, we should be thankful for what we do have.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Those who voted in the affirmative were: Representatives
Amstutz
Anielski
Antani
Arndt
Baker
Becker
Blessing
Boose
Brenner
Brinkman
Brown
Buchy
Burkley
Butler
Cera
Conditt
Cupp
DeVitis
Derickson
Dever
Dovilla
Ginter
Gonzales
Green
Grossman
Hackett
Hagan
HallHambley
Hayes
Henne
Hill
Hood
Huffman
Johnson, T.
Koehler
Kunze
LaTourette
Landis
Maag
Manning
McClain
McColley
O'Brien, S.
Patterson
Pelanda
Perales
Reineke
Retherford
Rezabek
Roegner
Rogers
Romanchuk
Ruhl
Ryan
Schaffer
Scherer
Schuring
Sears
Slaby
Smith, R.
Sprague
Terhar
Thompson
Vitale
Young
Zeltwanger
Rosenberger-68

Those who voted in the negative were: Representatives
Antonio
Ashford
Barnes
Bishoff
Boccieri
Boyce
Boyd
Celebrezze
Clyde
Craig
Driehaus
Fedor
Howse
Johnson, G.
G.Kuhns
Leland
Lepore-Hagan
O'Brien, M
Patmon
Phillips
Ramos
Reece
Sheehy
Slesnick
Smith, K.
Stinziano
Strahorn
Sweeney
Sykes-29
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Ole_grizzly wrote:I would first like to thank everyone who worked towards this bill, it is much appreciated.

Secondly, I find it fascinating the dichotomy of opinions on something like this. On our forum, I read comments about how we didn't get enough, how tough ohio's gun laws are,etc. I travel for work almost every week, with San Francisco, LA, Chicago, Boston, and New York some of my most frequent areas.

We have it so good. Two weeks ago, had a drink and cigars with a customer. He lives just north of New York City in west Chester, but works in Manhattan. He used to take the train in but saw enough violence that he began to drive. He owns his home, so he's "allowed" to own a shot gun. He has tried for two years to obtain a permit just to own a handgun, and he says it'll be longer than that to maybe get a carry permit. Ohio sounded like heaven to him. I mentioned what we find to complain about are the notification requirements, how places voluntarily post, etc. he looked at me like I was crazy.

I'm not saying everything is perfect here, and certainly the battle's not over, but even in the 6 years I've been carrying we've had lots of positive movement. Transport laws are much more reasonable. Training requirements are reduced. Not having to produce your training certificate at renewal time, etc. Just thought I'd mention this in a word of thanks to those that fought to get us here so I and my family can benefit. While I think it's criminal people in those democrat strongholds are denied their constitutional rights, we should be thankful for what we do have.
I agree and thanks to those working to help our cause.

Our rights were not taken in a day, it will take more than a day to win them back. I will take any victory I can get along the path, little by little until the whole is restored. Sometimes politics is a process of abrasion. If you lack the power to completely remove the obstacle all at once, you can remove it layer by layer, sanding it smooth over a long period of time, until you look around and see nothing left.

This concept is called salmi-slice strategy and it has worked quite well for the antis in the past. They never rest, never give up and are ever trying angle after angle to erode our rights wherever they can.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Somehow the seeming regularity of infringements upon citizens' RKBA over long periods of time with impunity needs to get fixed.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Ole_grizzly wrote: We have it so good. Two weeks ago, had a drink and cigars with a customer. He lives just north of New York City in west Chester, but works in Manhattan. He used to take the train in but saw enough violence that he began to drive. He owns his home, so he's "allowed" to own a shot gun. He has tried for two years to obtain a permit just to own a handgun, and he says it'll be longer than that to maybe get a carry permit. Ohio sounded like heaven to him.
I've PM'd you on this, info that might help him.
zeko

Post by zeko »

In watching the video of Tuesday's House session, I noticed a strange thing: the refugee resolution was debated extensively, as was the Planned Parenthood bill; however, HB48 had only a (relatively) short speech from Ron Maag, and NOTHING from the usual suspects (Patmon, Reece, etc.) on the other side. What happened to them?? (That they were convinced of the bill's legitimacy is simply too much for me to swallow -- these people don't seem to think ANYTHING to do with guns is legitimate, except banning them all.)

Zeko
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

zeko wrote:In watching the video of Tuesday's House session, I noticed a strange thing: the refugee resolution was debated extensively, as was the Planned Parenthood bill; however, HB48 had only a (relatively) short speech from Ron Maag, and NOTHING from the usual suspects (Patmon, Reece, etc.) on the other side. What happened to them?? (That they were convinced of the bill's legitimacy is simply too much for me to swallow -- these people don't seem to think ANYTHING to do with guns is legitimate, except banning them all.)

Zeko
The anti's probably didn't have time to modify their left over speech from when CCW itself was being debated. (cops will be dying in traffic stops by the hundreds, every little argument will end in gunfire, innocent people will be hit by CCW holders because they don't have the hundreds of hours of training a cop gets, blood will flow in the streets, the sky will fall) :roll:

I saw a woman being interviewed on the news about this subject, and she said (about day care centers) that children are naturally curious (which is true) and that this was a bad idea, because kids will get a hold of the guns and shoot themselves with them. :?: The only scenario I can think of where that might happen is if someone is purse carrying and leaves it unattended or next to a child. That type of situation could potentially happen anywhere kids are, not just day care centers.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

M-Quigley wrote:I saw a woman being interviewed on the news about this subject, and she said (about day care centers) that children are naturally curious (which is true) and that this was a bad idea, because kids will get a hold of the guns and shoot themselves with them. :?: The only scenario I can think of where that might happen is if someone is purse carrying and leaves it unattended or next to a child. That type of situation could potentially happen anywhere kids are, not just day care centers.
I'm still surprised that's in there and I suspect it'll be removed from the Senate version, or changed to "locked in the car". It's "bad optics".