HB 48: Remove some CPZs; modify affirmative defense

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: HB 48: Remove some CPZs; modify affirmative defense

Post by M-Quigley »

JonasM wrote:I'm looking at the bright side - the change to the school zone rules is YUGE for me. My daughter's school is in a rural area, with a long driveway - no possible way to park outside without getting the car towed and inviting questions from every single person who sees me. If I have to go there for an event after work, then I am disarmed all day. I'll take what I can get at this point.
I agree. The current convoluted law is ridiculous.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Brian D. wrote:About the school premises prohibition: Am I the only one who, while traveling around unfamiliar parts of Ohio, turned down a road to make a U-turn or stop to glance at my map/GPS, only to realize that it was the entrance to an elementary or high school property? Yeah no harm no foul but still, my brain said "Oops, instant felon, three hots and a cot for you the next couple years". That is completely ridiculous, there are circumstances where I could maim or kill someone with the same vehicle and not get that kind of punishment.

Maybe I should just get a few of the fence sitting Representatives and Senators to take a road trips with me across the state.
Similar thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. Had a meeting with a school about FASTER Saves Lives after work and forgot to disarm before I left for work that morning. Luckily there was still a gun friendly coworker in the office when I went to leave for the school board meeting. "Here nice coworker, take this bag of mine home with you tonight and please bring it back to me in the morning!" :D

JLE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

So, here's a fun observation found on another forum:
Newly created R.C. § 2923.1210 by Sub. S. B. 199 appears to be broader in scope than applying to just employers and employees. It states: “A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person…” Would this not apply to parking lot postings at, for example, a shopping center—or an employer’s parking lot? One would just have to comply with the condition of locking it in the vehicle before exiting.
Interesting observation - and I don't see anything that would contradict that interpretation.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

JustaShooter wrote:So, here's a fun observation found on another forum:
Newly created R.C. § 2923.1210 by Sub. S. B. 199 appears to be broader in scope than applying to just employers and employees. It states: “A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person…” Would this not apply to parking lot postings at, for example, a shopping center—or an employer’s parking lot? One would just have to comply with the condition of locking it in the vehicle before exiting.
Interesting observation - and I don't see anything that would contradict that interpretation.
Hmmm. What about universities?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WestonDon wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:So, here's a fun observation found on another forum:
Hmmm. What about universities?
Well, one would think that they fall under the category of "public or private employer" , if not "“A business entity, property owner", so yeah...
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

My research skills are lacking... Does this have any bearing on county fair buildings?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

fyrfytr310 wrote:My research skills are lacking... Does this have any bearing on county fair buildings?
The Act, as passed and signed, has no effect on county fair buildings.

Unfortunately, they stripped out the provision removing government facilities from the statutory no-carry list and replaced it with a provision that political subdivisions *can* pass laws or enact rules allowing it, but we know how many will be lining up on March 20 to do so...
NRA Life Member

Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

So who has some time and would like to help with edits/suggested changes to the new version of my concealed carry guide?

http://home.earthlink.net/~simmoh/Conde ... W_Ed_4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come on, you know you want to!
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Condensed Guide to Ohio Concealed Carry Laws
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

As much as I would like to help, I simply do not have the time.
NRA Life Member

Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Thanks for thinking about it at least. I'm sure someone will chime in. I'd really like to have a second set of eyes look at it before handgunlaw.us posts the new edition on the 27th.
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
-- Samuel Adams

Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

Is OAC 128-4-02 something we should be looking to change? (G)(10) reads "(10) Weapons - with the exception of those carried by peace officers in the course of their duties and as expressly authorized under division (N) of section 105.41 of the Revised Code, firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited within the capitol buildings and grounds without the express written permission of the board." Wasn't the prohibition on the grounds removed by HB 495 back in 2013? It also seems to conflict with ORC 2923.126(B)(7).

-- Samuel Adams

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Rhino wrote:Is OAC 128-4-02 something we should be looking to change? (G)(10) reads "(10) Weapons - with the exception of those carried by peace officers in the course of their duties and as expressly authorized under division (N) of section 105.41 of the Revised Code, firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited within the capitol buildings and grounds without the express written permission of the board." Wasn't the prohibition on the grounds removed by HB 495 back in 2013? It also seems to conflict with ORC 2923.126(B)(7).
I'm sure some of our more local activists can weigh in but the board seems to know they are on shaky ground in light of ORC 9.68 and some folks at the AG's office have unofficially said so. Officially the board will say that state law allows them to make rules, ergo any rule they pass concerning weapons is pursuant to state law, thus lawful under 9.68. They will also say that the rule went through JCAR as all rules do, thus the General Assembly had an opportunity to veto it but declined to do so. However, when push comes to shove the board has quietly given permission for weapons at rallies which has the legal effect of mooting the immediate controversy. Clearly the board isn't as confident in its legal position as it likes to portray.

I can also add that in the half dozen times I've been in Columbus since this rule went into effect I've made it a point to openly carry a full size pistol across the grounds and I've never once been hassled. I've gotten (and returned) a nod from OSHP personnel once or twice.

Be that as it may I suspect there's not going to be much political will to strike this rule; it's funny how squeamish some Republicans get when it comes to the land around their office.
Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

I figured it would be something like that. Once again our legislature is too busy to expend any effort to clean up and simplify the code, despite the fact that some of their work would be easier if they did. Thanks.

-- Samuel Adams

Rhino
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Rhino »

From the legislature web site (https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... 131-SB-199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

Final analysis of SB199.

Final text of the bill as passed by the Senate.

Final text of the bill as enrolled

I'm not sure what the difference between "as passed" and "as enrolled" are. "As passed" has blank signature blocks at the bottom, making it appear incomplete, thus making me think the "as enrolled link was the latest version. But the number in the "as passed" link is higher than the number in the link for "as enrolled", making it seem as if "as passed" is the latest version. Neither document is dated. If somebody knows the difference, please enlighten me.

-- Samuel Adams

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

From the OGA website:
ENROLLED BILL
A printed version of a bill that is prepared when the bill has passed both houses in identical form. The enrolled bill
is signed by the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate and becomes an act awaiting the Governor’s
approval.
The Enrolled bill is the version of the bill that will be added to Ohio law if signed by the governor.
NRA Life Member