CHL upgrade?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DanCCW

CHL upgrade?

Post by DanCCW »

I am a truck driver, so reciprocity is very important to me. Do any of you know, if after the new HB 234 goes into effect, will there be a way to "upgrade" our Ohio CHLs? I have 4.5 years left on mine and would rather do that than get a whole bunch of non-resident permits from other states to cover my DAILY travels.
P.S.
would love to see a federal reciprocity, like we get with any other license.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CHL upgrade?

Post by JustaShooter »

It's unlikely that anything like that will happen - but the only states I know of that we will (presumably) get because of the NICS check are TX and WI, both of which would be covered by a PA license. There are several others that will happen because we will start recognizing their licenses - GA, CO, NH and if I recall correctly, ME, which won't require a license issued after a particular date. So if it were me, since you have 4.5 years to go on your OH license I'd just get my PA license.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DanCCW

Post by DanCCW »

thanks for the reply. I'll look into a PA license
BobK

Post by BobK »

I agree that simply getting a PA non-resident license is a better solution for two reasons. First, the Texas reciprocity list is updated once per year. Since the Ohio law won't be in effect until March, it won't even be considered by Texas until Jan, 2016.

Second, it is useful to have a secondary license with a staggered expiration date just in case you lose your Ohio license and have to get it replaced, or if your Ohio license renewal gets delayed.

If you are ever driving into PA, there are counties where you can be in and out of the sheriff office in 10 minutes with new license in hand.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

I had not heard about the NH reciprocity. Any source info on that? I have a PA because I have relatives on the East Coast which pretty much requires travel in PA. My mother lived in NH for at least a decade and so did my brother. Last I was up there they would recognize a PA or FL (both of which I have) license but ONLY if you are a resident of that state.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't remember where I first heard that NH would start recognizing OH once the new law went into effect, but here is the relevant NH law:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/htm ... 59-6-d.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Title XII 159:6-d Full Faith and Credit for Licenses From Other States; Reciprocity.
Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 159:6, no nonresident holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in the state in which he resides or who is a peace officer in the state in which he resides, shall be required to obtain a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver within this state if:
I. Such nonresident carries upon his person the license held from the state in which he resides; and
II. The state in which such person is a resident provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of this state.
Source. 1993, 130:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1994.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

catfish86 wrote:I had not heard about the NH reciprocity. Any source info on that? I have a PA because I have relatives on the East Coast which pretty much requires travel in PA. My mother lived in NH for at least a decade and so did my brother. Last I was up there they would recognize a PA or FL (both of which I have) license but ONLY if you are a resident of that state.
But it is legal to carry your sidearm in your car while driving through PA if you have a CHL.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark