another question-rifles

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

m-g willy

another question-rifles

Post by m-g willy »

I seen that transporting a rifle ,,one has to make sure
(1) rifle is unloaded,,
(2)If magazine is in rifle ,mag must be unloaded.
Now my question,,,
Is it legal to have a loaded mag, that is not in the rifle?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: another question-rifles

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes. If you have a CHL, then it can even be laying beside the rifle (with action open) on the front seat. ( actually kind of like the "action open" part since with an AR or similar, that removes a step in the loading/chambering process...)

If you don't have a CHL, then the magazine must be stored separately.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Is this just OH or are these the same rules going cross country?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

gaptrick wrote:Is this just OH or are these the same rules going cross country?
Those are Ohio rules. Each state can be different. But, there is the set of rules from the Federal Firearms Owner Protection Act (FOPA) that says
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

m-g willy wrote:I seen that transporting a rifle ,,one has to make sure
(1) rifle is unloaded,,
Now my question,,,
You can have a loaded rifle in a motor vehicle if it is not "accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle."
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
BobK

Post by BobK »

SeanC wrote:
m-g willy wrote:I seen that transporting a rifle ,,one has to make sure
(1) rifle is unloaded,,
Now my question,,,
You can have a loaded rifle in a motor vehicle if it is not "accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle."
Disagree.

Review RC 2923.16(C), with emphasis on the operative AND, as is "(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, AND the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:"
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BobK wrote:
SeanC wrote:
Disagree.

Review RC 2923.16(C), with emphasis on the operative AND, as is "(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, AND the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:"
Well, the affirmative defense/prudent man language still theoretically applies to long gun transport. But what person, especially a CHL holder, would risk exercising that option at this point in time?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

BobK wrote:Review RC 2923.16(C), with emphasis on the operative AND, as is "(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, AND the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:"
Yes ... the reason for the two divisions of (B) and (C) is (B) is a fourth degree felony while (C) is a fourth degree misdemeanor. A person violating (B) actually violates both divisions simultaneously but it is possible to violate (C) without violating (B).