No back ground check?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

m-g willy

No back ground check?

Post by m-g willy »

Did I get my wires crossed in hearing that HB234 states if one has a CCW then he can buy a gun from a dealer without waiting for the background check or filling out the forms?
techguy85

Re: No back ground check?

Post by techguy85 »

If the ATF decides our laws meet the requirements, then we won't have to wait for them to call NICS every time. However the 4473 would still be completed and retained by the dealer.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

m-g willy wrote:Did I get my wires crossed in hearing that HB234 states if one has a CCW then he can buy a gun from a dealer without waiting for the background check or filling out the forms?
It truly don't think that's the way it's worded. It may be feasible, but I didn't read the words that say that.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Post by BobK »

techguy85 wrote:If the ATF decides our laws meet the requirements, then we won't have to wait for them to call NICS every time. However the 4473 would still be completed and retained by the dealer.
Correct. That is the way it works in Texas, for example. The biggest advantage is one does not need to wait for a NICS response of “proceed,” “denied” or “delayed” from the system. This is especially helpful if buying a gun at a gunshow or estate auction. You know that you can always fill out the form 4473 and walk out with the gun. If you tell the FFL that you are a licensee, the FFL also knows that. SInce it is easier and simpler for the FFL's, they also prefer to sell to a concealed handgun licensee.

Here is a current chart of the states that have this exemption:

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/fi ... rmit-chart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

There are two steps that must be completed before you can buy a gun without the NICS. The first is that BATF has to approve Ohio's law as qualifying and the second is that you have to renew your license with a NICS check. For many of us, that will be several years away.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

schmieg wrote:There are two steps that must be completed before you can buy a gun without the NICS. The first is that BATF has to approve Ohio's law as qualifying and the second is that you have to renew your license with a NICS check. For many of us, that will be several years away.
Can we not renew whenever we want?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

fyrfytr310 wrote:
schmieg wrote:There are two steps that must be completed before you can buy a gun without the NICS. The first is that BATF has to approve Ohio's law as qualifying and the second is that you have to renew your license with a NICS check. For many of us, that will be several years away.
Can we not renew whenever we want?
90 days before expiration.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Face

Post by Face »

In one of the earlier posts , it was stated all existing licenses would be ran thru NCIS.

Sorry - can't find it or remember the esteemed poster. - I'm sure it will get in here. And hope that is correct.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Face wrote:In one of the earlier posts , it was stated all existing licenses would be ran thru NCIS.

Sorry - can't find it or remember the esteemed poster. - I'm sure it will get in here. And hope that is correct.
Why does the Navy care if we are licensed, :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Face

Post by Face »

mreising wrote:
Face wrote:In one of the earlier posts , it was stated all existing licenses would be ran thru NCIS.

Why does the Navy care if we are licensed, :wink:
Damm lysdexia

Maybe for a Colt Navy :)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Go Navy! 8)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
m-g willy

Post by m-g willy »

THANKS For all the replies.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I see nothing in the bill that mandates that. Sure, a local sheriff could do that if they want, but with the large quantities of licenses and amount of time it would take, I highly doubt they would voluntarily do it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

Hopefully the OH law will qualify. For most of us, NICS is a minor inconvenience, for some that always get delayed for whatever reason it downright sucks. I always get instant approval but I know people who get delayed every time and get called back the next day or the same day to come pick up their gun.

When NICS was first started up, I used to get delayed every time. Never more than 10-15 minutes. The very first time I tried to buy a gun after the law went into effect, they called NICS and said you're delayed. Now imagine that feeling of W-T-F when you know you have had ZERO interaction with police or a court other than a speeding ticket which you paid by mail. I left that gun shop embarrassed actually.... Keep in mind this is 1994-5 nobody had much experience with this yet. I'm driving home and got a call on my cell phone, which at the time was the size of a brick and cost $39/month for 30 minutes talk time.....remember that. LOL! Anyway, come back get your gun. This happened every time I bought a gun for 2-3 years. Always delayed and I would say to the shop, I'll just hang out a few minutes they are going to call back within 15 minutes, and every time, they would. The NICS system went though some upgrades at some point to improve records or the way things were processed and after that, my approvals have been "instant" ever since.

Another benefit will be if Bloomers BS of Universal Checks ever comes to fruition, people with CHL will be exempt. If that ever happens, I predict anyone who buys guns on a regular basis will get the CHL. I hope that day never comes.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Isn't there some type of PIN that people can apply for if they get delayed?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB