school zones

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

school zones

Post by qmti »

I'm new to forum. I understand the current rules on school zones. My question is; if I go to a school function, can I lock my firearm in a lock box and lock the car in the parking lot and go in to the school function? Thanks for any reply.
pirateguy191

Re: school zones

Post by pirateguy191 »

No.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

To add to that, you may park off school property with the gun locked in your vehicle if you so wish and walk.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Welcome to OFCC. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Ehhhhh... what do you mean "school function"? There's a phrase in our state law "school building, premises, or activity." I think the first two places are pretty clearly off-limits while armed. I'm pretty sure the third category is unconstitutional. What is a "school activity"? It could be a field trip, I suppose. So if I go canoeing and there happens to be a school field trip there, does that mean that the livery is off limits to me, or just a canoe with a school child in it. Maybe the whole river is off limits. It's silly.

So my rule is this: school property is a no-go. If there's an activity on school property, don't carry. If the school has an off-site activity, that's not my problem.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

SeanC wrote:If the school has an off-site activity, that's not my problem.
I agree with you on this. I'm not running out of McDonalds just because that is where the field trip bus happened to pull over for lunch.....
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

From QMTI, Thanks for the replies. I was referring to a school activity like a ball game. If I travel 25 miles to a school activity that's 50 miles round trip without protection for my family. The law still needs some more common sense input.
BobK

Post by BobK »

fyrfytr310 wrote:
I agree with you on this. I'm not running out of McDonalds just because that is where the field trip bus happened to pull over for lunch.....
I discussed this issue with one of the attorneys who is on the NRA Civil Rights Foundation, and his take made common sense if not strict legal sense.

His view was if you are sitting in McDonalds and a school field trip stopped, continue to carry. It does not involve you.

However, if you are a parent volunteering for or chaperoning an offsite school function, such as a canoe trip or school prom at a rented hall, or the field trip that stops at McDonalds, that parent should not carry as it would be pretty simple to prove they knew it is a school function.

Lets say it was a school field trip to one of the Columbus Metro parks, for example. I think if you were a parent driving your own children you are fine to carry in your car. However, when you get out of the car to help chaperone all the other children, that is now a school function and you should be unarmed. If you have other children in the car with you (carpooling), then your car is now a no-carry zone.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:
fyrfytr310 wrote:
I discussed this issue with one of the attorneys who is on the NRA Civil Rights Foundation, and his take made common sense if not strict legal sense.

His view was if you are sitting in McDonalds and a school field trip stopped, continue to carry. It does not involve you.

However, if you are a parent volunteering for or chaperoning an offsite school function, such as a canoe trip or school prom at a rented hall, or the field trip that stops at McDonalds, that parent should not carry as it would be pretty simple to prove they knew it is a school function.
In a nutshell. Life is so much simpler when common sense is applied.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

qmti wrote:From QMTI, Thanks for the replies. I was referring to a school activity like a ball game. If I travel 25 miles to a school activity that's 50 miles round trip without protection for my family. The law still needs some more common sense input.
I agree that the law needs changed, until then, you do have the option to park off of school property.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB