Am. Sub. HB 234 - As Passed by the Senate

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Am. Sub. HB 234 - As Passed by the Senate

Post by JediSkipdogg »

nick112288 wrote:Just out of curiosity what would be the purpose of getting an Ohio license for out of state workers, if Ohio is going to recognize all out of state licenses?
Well, technically an out of state CHL makes you violate the Gun Free School Zone Act.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
nick112288 wrote:Just out of curiosity what would be the purpose of getting an Ohio license for out of state workers, if Ohio is going to recognize all out of state licenses?
Well, technically an out of state CHL makes you violate the Gun Free School Zone Act.
Which means........? Sorry I just moved to Indiana recently so I don't know how the out of state vs in state rules work or apply
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pirateguy191 wrote:8 hours total time.
(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following:
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I read the online section over 100 times and just kept getting confused in the wording. I've read this bill (and all the previous versions) so many times I really couldn't tell anyone what's accurate. Too many lines. But hey, we had to pass it to see what was in it. LOL
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

nick112288 wrote:Sorry I just moved to Indiana recently so I don't know how the out of state vs in state rules work or apply
Moving from Indiana is no excuse! :lol: In all seriousness the Gun Free School Zone Act is a federal statute. Long and short of it is, with a few exceptions, carrying an uncased or loaded firearm within 1000' feet of a school is a federal misdemeanor punishable by up to five years in prison plus some fine. The only exception is if you have a license to carry issued by the state in which the school is located. Virtually never enforced absent some other situation.

I've asked about what happens in College Corner Ohio/Indiana. Nobody ever seems to have a good answer. There is an elementary school that sits on the state line. In fact, the state line is the half court marker in the gymnasium. Since the school is physically located in two states would that mean one needs a license from both states? With the mention of school employees driving the idea of allowing non-resident "work in Ohio" licenses, I can't help but wonder if this is one of those situations. Indiana also allows non-residents who work in the state to get a CHL so maybe that's us returning the favor?
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

So it even covers driving by a school?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82705 was created after the bill passed the conference committee. It makes sense to take the conversation there.

PGWP. I moved your question over to the newest thread.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!