Am. Sub. HB 234 - As Passed by the Senate

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xpd54

Re: Am. Sub. HB 234 - As Passed by the Senate

Post by xpd54 »

The new NRA basic pistol class curriculum is going to a primarily online format. This allows for it. Still have to show up and shoot with an instructor and get a certificate from them. The law reads that the online program must be interactive. Sounds like the eOpota courses we take. There are tests/quizzes throughout the program a person must take and pass with a passing score. It documents how long it takes you to complete the course. What it doesn't do is verify who is actually on the computer.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

xpd54 wrote:The new NRA basic pistol class curriculum is going to a primarily online format. This allows for it. Still have to show up and shoot with an instructor and get a certificate from them. The law reads that the online program must be interactive. Sounds like the eOpota courses we take. There are tests/quizzes throughout the program a person must take and pass with a passing score. It documents how long it takes you to complete the course. What it doesn't do is verify who is actually on the computer.
And the actual range portion must be in person, however, I have an issue with the way it's actually worded that could give an instructor cause to not do a range portion in person and I feel it may be settled in court later on. It all deals with wording and ultimately intent.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Did non-resident licenses for people employed in Ohio survive?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

BobK wrote:Did non-resident licenses for people employed in Ohio survive?
Yes. They can apply in the country employed or an adjoining county with proof of their employment. I think the only ones that this may not-benefit is those that can't easily prove it. My second job is with the NFL. However, I'm assigned to Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati Bengals). Everything I have shows New York as my employment state. I would imagine there's quite a few companies with employees stationed in Ohio that may have a hard time proving it. Luckily for me, they take Ohio taxes out of my paycheck, so I could use that as proof that I work in Ohio. Just not so easy to proof which "county" I'm assigned to.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

xpd54 wrote:The new NRA basic pistol class curriculum is going to a primarily online format. This allows for it. Still have to show up and shoot with an instructor and get a certificate from them. The law reads that the online program must be interactive. Sounds like the eOpota courses we take. There are tests/quizzes throughout the program a person must take and pass with a passing score. It documents how long it takes you to complete the course. What it doesn't do is verify who is actually on the computer.
So it would be 6 hours on the computer and 2 hours in person, with an instructor at the range for the shooting portion or am I reading this entirely in the wrong way?
Come and get'em
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

GatorNavy wrote:
So it would be 6 hours on the computer and 2 hours in person, with an instructor at the range for the shooting portion or am I reading this entirely in the wrong way?
No time requirement for the computer. Simply just 2 hours in person at a range. Computer just needs to engage the viewer.

Homer J

Post by Homer J »

are sealed convictions still safe?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
GatorNavy wrote:
No time requirement for the computer. Simply just 2 hours in person at a range. Computer just needs to engage the viewer.
8 hours total time.
(G)(1) Each course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a), (b), (c), or (e) of this section shall provide to each person who takes the course, class, or program the web site address at which the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters may be found. Each such course, class, or program described in one of those divisions shall include at least eight hours of training in the safe handling and use of a firearm that shall include training, provided as described in division (G)(3) of this section, on all of the following:
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pirateguy191 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

GatorNavy wrote:
Ring wrote:We got:(or will when the Gov signs)

1 - OH recognizes all other states licenses and permits

2 - Sheriff does NICS - this should allow us to buy guns without having to get NICS every time.

3 - Suppressor Hunting

4 - 31 round mag = Machine Gun is gone. No mag prohibitions in OH anymore

5 - Other instructors from National Gun Advocacy groups instrcutors can give OH CHL classes. Prior this was only OPOTA and NRA Certified. This means instructors certified by USCCA will be able to instruct CHL class

6 - 45 day residency requirement is gone

7 - CHL training reduced from 12 to 8 hours

8 - Provisions to allow for a portion of training to be ON LINE

9 - And the coup d'é·tat.... Sheriffs SHALL SIGN all NFA forms presented to them that require LEO certification if the person is legally allowed to possess the items under state and federal law.

Can anyone go into more detail on #8?
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/Bill ... 4_PS_Y.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the bill as passed by the Senate in .pdf format with line numbers.

The training stuff starts on line 1115 where they crossed out 12 and wrote 8

Line 1128 talks about 2 hours in person training consisting of live fire etc

Line 1142 starts the talk about on line.

At this point it does not matter because the NRA has not told anybody anything concrete about "blended learning". We have no idea how much it cost, how long the online portion is etc. We just don't know how it will match up with OH law as it will be when this is signed. I assume the NRA on line portion will be interactive, which is a good thing. Because if it is, the way I read this the exam can be given on line and accepted by OH. John Howard of NRA training has already said the exam will be on line as part of the course.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote: And the actual range portion must be in person, however, I have an issue with the way it's actually worded that could give an instructor cause to not do a range portion in person and I feel it may be settled in court later on. It all deals with wording and ultimately intent.
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/Bill ... 4_PS_Y.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Line 1129 calls for 2 hours.... range time and live fire training

Are you talking about wiggle room in lines 1138-1141

(b) An in-person physical demonstration of competence in
the use of a handgun and in the rules for safe handling and
storage of a handgun and a physical demonstration of the attitude
necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
GatorNavy wrote:
It would seem to me, IF the NRA Basic Pistol on line portion is 6 hours then 2 hours at the range to demonstrate all the things you need to demonstrate plus live fire would meet the training requirement. We don't know because we have no idea what the time is for the NRA on line class. It may be 4 hours... If that's the case then you have to have class for 2 hours then 2 hours range.

NRA Basic Pistol as it is now is 8 hours which includes 2 hours live fire exercise. So it is very possible the online portion will be 6 hours. That will all be wonderful, if people are actually willing to pay the price then pay an instructor for 2 hours. I'm not sure how all that is going to work out. NRA training may be cutting it's own throat because if on line is $100 plus you have to pay an instructor....just say $50 for range time etc That's $150 and many instructors now only charge $100 for 12 hours. My guess, many instructors will just give their own 8 hour course pulling from basic pistol to cover what is required by statute and then add to it as they need to. Should be interesting.....
nick112288

Post by nick112288 »

Just out of curiosity what would be the purpose of getting an Ohio license for out of state workers, if Ohio is going to recognize all out of state licenses?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Anyone know when this may be signed & when it will go into effect?

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

davcar45 wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote: And the actual range portion must be in person, however, I have an issue with the way it's actually worded that could give an instructor cause to not do a range portion in person and I feel it may be settled in court later on. It all deals with wording and ultimately intent.

Line 1129 calls for 2 hours.... range time and live fire training

Are you talking about wiggle room in lines 1138-1141

(b) An in-person physical demonstration of competence in
the use of a handgun and in the rules for safe handling and
storage of a handgun and a physical demonstration of the attitude
necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner.

Line 1151-1152 states all can be online "other than the training that requires the person receiving the training to demonstrate handling abilities."

What is the training to demonstrate handling abilities? Someone told me it's lines 1127-1129 which says: Gun handling training.; (b) At least (e) A minimum of two hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training.

But wait, that doesn't say "demonstrate handling abilities" it says "gun handling training." Want to see my curveball? Lines 1120-1122 state: The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;

Those three lines use the words abilities, demonstrate, and handling all in one sentence. So, does the online portion "other than" refer to lines 1127-1129 or 1120-1122?

Yes, I know the answer and I know the intent. But why doesn't line 1151-1152 say "other than the training that requires the person receiving the training for gun handling as found in section (G)(1)(e)." To me that would make it clear otherwise, you could find someone that spends a few minutes with someone to make sure they hold a firearm properly and says they are good to go. Just me being picky on wording.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Ray wrote:Anyone know when this may be signed & when it will go into effect?

Ray
It was supposedly signed by the governor today. Now it has to be walked across the street and filed with the Secretary of State. It will then go into effect 90 days after that. My guess, sometime around March 20th at the latest.