Legislative Alert! - - Call to Action!!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GatorNavy

Re: Legislative Alert! - - Call to Action!!

Post by GatorNavy »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
WestonDon wrote:Does this mean I won't have to renew my PA license in order to drive through Georgia? Yaa.
That's up to George. I'm not sure why Georgia won't accept ours, but if it's merely on the basis of a NICS check, they should now accept us.
I have been away for awhile and reading this thread now, I am confused though which is nothing new with me :?
So we now have to go through the federal background check and not the check we previously had where it was Ohio doing the check? I remember awhile back some people wanted this for reciprocity with Texas and some didn't want it because it would add a new hurdle for some people?
Also is this the part where the NRA wanted it but many Ohio residents were against it? Sorry for a dumb question but as I stated I have been away due to some family problems :(
Come and get'em
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Don't be. She terminated the agreement with Utah because "an individual may apply for a non-resident concealed firearm permit despite the applicant not possessing a concealed carry permit from their home state.".
Sounds about right. 2A issues aside there's a nice recap of some of her recent blunders here. She's also refusing to defend a new state preemption statute.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

GatorNavy wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
WestonDon wrote:Does this mean I won't have to renew my PA license in order to drive through Georgia? Yaa.
That's up to George. I'm not sure why Georgia won't accept ours, but if it's merely on the basis of a NICS check, they should now accept us.
I have been away for awhile and reading this thread now, I am confused though which is nothing new with me :?
So we now have to go through the federal background check and not the check we previously had where it was Ohio doing the check? I remember awhile back some people wanted this for reciprocity with Texas and some didn't want it because it would add a new hurdle for some people?
Also is this the part where the NRA wanted it but many Ohio residents were against it? Sorry for a dumb question but as I stated I have been away due to some family problems :(
Ok....I'll try not to confuse you more.

For new and renewals after this bill goes into effect (sometime in late March) we will just be adding NICS checks onto applications. It will still be BCI only for more than 5 years in Ohio and BCI and FBI for more than 5 years. Keep in mind, Ohio's CHL is actually more restrictive than buying a firearm, many for the fact that we still prohibit misdemeanor drug violations.

So we will still have two separate fees and two separate check methods...
A) BCI + NICS
B) BCI + FBI + NICS

The NICS addition will give us some additional reciprocal states (Texas is the only one coming to mind for sure) and only be more restrictive in terms of denying those that may have mental health conditions. However, those denied a CHL by basis of a NICS denial shouldn't be in possession of a firearm anyways (assuming a legit denial.)

The reason many in Ohio were against it was actually removed from Sub HB 234. It was in HB 203 and was rumored to be included in Sub HB 234 but I think thanks to the OFCC Email blast fronting some out on it, it was not included.

Hopefully that answered your question, if not I just confused you and myself. LOL
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:The NICS addition will give us some additional reciprocal states (Texas is the only one coming to mind for sure) and only be more restrictive in terms of denying those that may have mental health conditions.
No! I realize that you're trying to be sensitive in your terminology, but if you do that, you need to be accurate. Try "mental health adjudications." Enough of our "fringe element" believe - and try to convince others - that a simple diagnosis of depression or PTSD is sufficient for da gubmint to kick in your door and take all your guns. And that is simply false, no matter how paranoid you are.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:The NICS addition will give us some additional reciprocal states (Texas is the only one coming to mind for sure) and only be more restrictive in terms of denying those that may have mental health conditions.
No! I realize that you're trying to be sensitive in your terminology, but if you do that, you need to be accurate. Try "mental health adjudications." Enough of our "fringe element" believe - and try to convince others - that a simple diagnosis of depression or PTSD is sufficient for da gubmint to kick in your door and take all your guns. And that is simply false, no matter how paranoid you are.
Not trying to be sensitive, just a slip of the terminology. Thanks for the correction.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Jedi and Werz, thank you as I am now Un-cornfused and I appreciate both of you two, hopefully I can come around more and keep up on matters
Thanks again
Come and get'em
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Werz wrote:
Not trying to be sensitive, just a slip of the terminology. Thanks for the correction.
Sorry. Didn't mean to be harsh. I was just anticipating a rant from the usual suspects.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Since the bill is passed, and reported to be signed, it makes sense to keep all conversation in the thread created after passing.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82705

I'm locking this one for clarity.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!