2015-2016 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: 2015-2016 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by JediSkipdogg »

soberbiker wrote:I wouldn't expect to get day care dropped. Much like a school with children involved it's a very tough sell IMO. I would love to see churches be allowed to think for themselves on this issue and it's probably our best chance at getting something dropped. As for government buildings...I'd love to see it but I'm not holding my breath.
Pretty much my feelings exactly.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

BobK wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:If signs are to retain the force of law, then a standardized size, wording, and location would be an improvement. I don't know what South Carolina's sign looks like, but I am familiar with Texas' sign and could go for something like theirs. The sign must contain the exact words required by Section 30.06:

Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun

in both English and Spanish, be placed in an area visible to the public, and have 1" lettering or it will not be considered a legally-binding 30.06 sign.

That makes the sign really big and ugly. What's not to like? :mrgreen:
I recommended going after similar 30.06 requirements in Ohio to the OFCC brass before the 2011 and 2013 legislative sessions. I think my words fell on deaf ears, if they were even read at all. :roll:

For those of you who have not seen one, if the Texas 30.06 sign is to have any legal force of law it is huge. Roughly 3 feet by 3-4 feet. The 1" block lettering is a key part of that requirement.

As a result, I can count the number of compliant 30.06 signs on the fingers of one hand during the last 4 years I have lived in Texas. This is most assuredly not because Texas is so gun-friendly compared to Ohio. Before the 30.06 law was passed, there were gun banning signs cropping up all over here like weeds in a garden. This law was passed to solve a problem, or having a CHL would be a meaningless right if one could not carry anywhere.

I attended a free seminar given by Charles Cotton, NRA Board member and author of the 30.06 law, earlier this month. He also refers to it as "the big ugly sign". He also commented that if too many places start posting, we will change the law to require Vietnamese in addition to English and Spanish, and change it to require 2 inch letters.

THIS ^^^^^ is the next best thing to making signs have no force of law. By no force of law, I mean you have to be asked to leave if discovered and then if you refuse, trespass.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

Atilla wrote: Just like the size of the parking spaces. Or the number and location of handicap spaces. Or the width and turning radii of the drives, or the drainage and signage in their ' private ' lots. Zoning, Fire, Traffic codes already require so called private parking lots comply with plenty. Allowing law abiding employees and customers to keep legal items in their cars is not asking too much. Sheesh.
Need a like button on here.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
Dewman

Post by Dewman »

davcar45 wrote:
Atilla wrote: Just like the size of the parking spaces. Or the number and location of handicap spaces. Or the width and turning radii of the drives, or the drainage and signage in their ' private ' lots. Zoning, Fire, Traffic codes already require so called private parking lots comply with plenty. Allowing law abiding employees and customers to keep legal items in their cars is not asking too much. Sheesh.
Need a like button on here.

+1
Allways remember when in combat your weapon was made by the lowest bidder
ddedema

Post by ddedema »

This, and I sent messages to Senator Uecker and Senator Coley : Chairman Coley, Good to meet you the past few weeks and Thanks for your support today for HB 234. Senator Uecker and yourself did a great job combating the rebuffs from the anti senators. I would like to talk to you about some progress in the next assembly. My biggest concern for Ohio gun rights is the affirmative defense in Ohio. A defendant is guilty by a preponderance of the evidence instead of beyond a reasonable doubt. Ohio is the only state in the Union that still uses this. This was post on our Ohio Carry page that I found on the internet --> "The Buckeye state remains the last in the country to retain the old model of self-defense as a true affirmative defense, keeping the burden of persuasion for self-defense on the defendant, by a preponderance of the evidence. This sad state of affairs makes Ohio a true laggard in properly protecting the due process rights of its residents." I would like to see this changed and I feel it is imperative if we continue to improve Ohio gun rights.
ddedema

Post by ddedema »

Constitutional Carry or SYG won't be {inappropriate language} without changes to affirmative defense.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Tweed Ring wrote:My area of concern is the potential for forcing employers to allow employees to store their firearms, in personal vehicles, on the employer's property. This I will fight, if proposed.
That's too bad. I hate the fact we'll be on opposite sides of the barricades on this. But it appears we certainly will be. And if OFCC as an organization chooses to either oppose "parking lot carry" or remain neutral on it, yours truly will quietly take off his OFCC hat while associating hisownself with an organization that does support it or just go out there on my own and support it. You will not change my mind. I will not change your mind. I also know that as long as a certain Senator remains in office it has a snowball's chance - that does not change my stance.

On to another issue I did not see in these eleven pages...

Section IV of the application:
YOU MUST COMPLETE THIS SECTION OF THE APPLICATION BY PROVIDING, TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE, THE ADDRESS OF EACH PLACE OF RESIDENCE AT WHICH YOU RESIDED AT ANY TIME AFTER YOU ATTAINED 18 YEARS OF AGE AND UNTIL YOU COMMENCED YOUR RESIDENCE AT THE LOCATION IDENTIFIED IN SECTION II OF THIS FORM, AND THE DATES OF RESIDENCE AT EACH OF THOSE ADDRESSES. IF YOU NEED MORE SPACE, COMPLETE AN ADDITIONAL SHEET WITH THE RELEVANT INFORMATION, ATTACH IT TO THE APPLICATION, AND NOTE THE ATTACHMENT AT THE END OF THIS SECTION.
Really folks? ...since I was 18? Hows 'bout we reduce that to something reasonable and realistic like five years? Tell ya' what - I know how legislators/bureaucrats think. So let's throw 'em a bone and say we'll settle for ten years.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I just don't see how this would infringe on property rights if your car is parked there as a employee and has anything in the car that is your private property...as long as it is concealed..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I just don't see how this would infringe on property rights if your car is parked there as a employee and has anything in the car that is your private property...as long as it is concealed..
Wai... What? Are you agreeing? ...'cause it sure sounds like you're agreeing with me.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I am...I own a property with a parking lot and I don't think it is any of my business what is in my customers cars or for that matter employees or my tenants...my rights don't trump their rights...
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

carmen fovozzo wrote:I am...I own a property with a parking lot and I don't think it is any of my business what is in my customers cars or for that matter employees or my tenants...my rights don't trump their rights...
Then I owe you an apology. I thought sure from an earlier post you were on the other side of the issue.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

carmen fovozzo wrote:TR..I agree with you on this 100%....my business is a extention of my home...
The parking lot is God's country...
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:TR..I agree with you on this 100%....my business is a extention of my home...
The parking lot is God's country...
I think it's Joni Mitchell's country. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

My parking lot is in Garfield Hts...AIN'T no paradise. Always liked the song though...

I do frown on LOUD Rap music in the parking lot.. :wink:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

NavyChief wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:My area of concern is the potential for forcing employers to allow employees to store their firearms, in personal vehicles, on the employer's property. This I will fight, if proposed.
That's too bad. I hate the fact we'll be on opposite sides of the barricades on this. But it appears we certainly will be. And if OFCC as an organization chooses to either oppose "parking lot carry" or remain neutral on it, yours truly will quietly take off his OFCC hat while associating hisownself with an organization that does support it or just go out there on my own and support it. You will not change my mind. I will not change your mind. I also know that as long as a certain Senator remains in office it has a snowball's chance - that does not change my stance.

On to another issue I did not see in these eleven pages...

Section IV of the application:
YOU MUST COMPLETE THIS SECTION OF THE APPLICATION BY PROVIDING, TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE, THE ADDRESS OF EACH PLACE OF RESIDENCE AT WHICH YOU RESIDED AT ANY TIME AFTER YOU ATTAINED 18 YEARS OF AGE AND UNTIL YOU COMMENCED YOUR RESIDENCE AT THE LOCATION IDENTIFIED IN SECTION II OF THIS FORM, AND THE DATES OF RESIDENCE AT EACH OF THOSE ADDRESSES. IF YOU NEED MORE SPACE, COMPLETE AN ADDITIONAL SHEET WITH THE RELEVANT INFORMATION, ATTACH IT TO THE APPLICATION, AND NOTE THE ATTACHMENT AT THE END OF THIS SECTION.
Really folks? ...since I was 18? Hows 'bout we reduce that to something reasonable and realistic like five years? Tell ya' what - I know how legislators/bureaucrats think. So let's throw 'em a bone and say we'll settle for ten years.
I see this as a skirmish, not a battle. We can agree to disagree. Happens all the time between my conservative Republican and my pragmatic Republican friends.

I would never presuppose to put myself out to members of the OGA as representing OFCC. Rather, I lobby on my own. I'm politically active and I tend to pick my fights.

Here's some advice. The next time OFCC citizen lobby day, try to meet with majority leadership in both houses.