2015-2016 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 2015-2016 Legislative session What does OFCC want?

Post by NavyChief »

Tweed Ring wrote:I would never presuppose to put myself out to members of the OGA as representing OFCC.
Never for a moment thought you would (unless of course you were joining us for a lobby day, which of course would be appreciated).
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

Staying with Chucks theme of being easier to strike things out of law allowing more freedom here is my list in order of importance to me.

Constitutional Carry - won't happen, but just striking out entire sections of law regarding carrying guns, transporting guns etc. That is my pipe dream. :mrgreen:

Back to reality:

-- Remove or decriminalize notification. Notify on demand I can live with. The vagueness of "shall promptly notify" I can't.

-- Remove sections making it illegal to have a loaded gun in your car. If open carry is a constitutional right and we accept that it is in Ohio, then I don't see why someone legally open carrying a firearm should have to unholster, unload and lock the firearm up in the trunk just drive from point A to B.

-- Remove CPZ status from most gov't buildings. Court House is fine, they have metal detectors. Police station is fine, lots of good guys with gun there. Jails, fine...also many good guys with gun there. Everyplace else, the .gov needs to respect the right to bear arms. Remove statutory CPZ status from churches and daycares etc

-- Stand your ground. No retreat required by law anyplace you legally have the right to be.

^^^^^ These things are law in many other states, and don't seem to be a problem in those states, not sure why it would be different in Ohio ^^^^^

-- Redefine school zones. While my pipe dream would be CHL should be fine in any school, at a minimum a person should be able to secure their firearm in their vehicle on school property. Also, exiting your vehicle while armed to help unload or load etc as long as you are in close proximity of your vehicle in the act of dropping off or picking up your child or anyone else's child should not be illegal.

Now into the weeds, more controversial stuff

-- Decriminalize private CPZ. Many believe the right to bear arms and self defense is a civil right. I am one of those. And I don't think a private business doing business with the public should be able to disarm that public with the force of law. Just my opinion and in many other states, signs carry no force of law. I've read all the various debates and opinions here and elsewhere on this topic. I understand all the arguments. And yes, if we have to make CHL holders a protected class, then so be it.

-- Some kind of parking lot protection for employees, for the same reasons as above. No person should be disarmed on their way to and from work because of their jobs no guns on company property policy for employees. I think most CHL people who work other than for themselves(self employed) just violate most of these policies out of hand anyway. I've worked at a lot of different places and when you start digging in corporate employee hand books you usually find the ole no guns or weapons on company property policy in their someplace. If for no other reason than their insurance company told them to etc. I don't care if it's McDonalds or Proctor & Gamble. I just feel like what I have in my personal vehicle is nobodies business. I work for you, you don't own me. Especially when the something you are banning is a legal product. Anyway, it's near the bottom of my list. Won't give me heartburn either way because I would just do what I've been doing, ignore company policy and deal with the consequences if I ever had to.

I'm also for much of what others have listed. The thing about getting a ticket from the postal inspector or being charged with a felony by OH LEO in the post office parking lot, stuff like that needs to be fixed.
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I haven't gone through all 12 pages yet. But I do have some thoughts. First, the Second Amendment isn't about guns, its about arms. Therefor all Knife laws should be preempted the way guns are. Second, Parking lot carry. Currently in a number of different ways Ohio businesses are required to provide a safe environment for employees and customers. I propose we require them to do so in regards self defense. If they prohibit that, the victim is entitled to triple damages. The business retains their full rights and we are enlarging a responsibility.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Let me add another. If any .gov bldg prohibits firearms they are required to provide storage on demand. I'm guessing/hoping many municipalities wont want to spend the cash for that. Defacto carry zone.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

slidelock wrote:Let me add another. If any .gov bldg prohibits firearms they are required to provide storage on demand. I'm guessing/hoping many municipalities wont want to spend the cash for that. Defacto carry zone.
It's actually not that expensive. You see them in PA courthouses a lot. For less than a thousand bucks you can get a 12 or 16 count coin locker, brand new. I'm sure you can find them used for far less. Since the law in PA says they must be provided "without charge" the guards give you a token slug.