Gun store loses home insurance

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cam

Gun store loses home insurance

Post by cam »

Hello, I am Cam, I am located in central Ohio and I teach Ohio ccw classes. While doing my classes, my students ask me where to buy firearms. I usually gave them the normal answers about box stores. I decided to get my FFL and open my own store, which I did. I am a retied federal employee and an ex Marine and this fit me to a tee. We hired an attorney to set up an LLC and we assigned a separate number for the property the store in in. The county registered that address. After getting my insurance on our store, we received notice that our home insurance provider was dropping us after 35 years and no claims. The Ohio Mutual Insurance Group located in Bucyrus Ohio was very nice in dropping us but, stated they could not insure a business that sells guns, I asked why and was told the exposure such as guns blowing up or someone might shoot up the place. I was devastated. If anyone has training at their home, and has this company, they can do the same to you. We went 35 years with no claims and were dropped because we sell guns. Has anyone else had this happen? and if not, If you instruct from home, you better find out in Ohio Mutual Insurance group, will drop you or refuse to pay claims for the same reasons. Any help or advice will be appreciated. P.S. we did get insurance with Liberty Mutual and saved several hundred dollars, and that was with full disclosure. Thanks Cam
BobK

Re: Gun store loses home insurance

Post by BobK »

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME.

Sounds like a raw deal. Glad you landed on your feet.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
cam

Post by cam »

BobK wrote:I see it is your first post, so WELCOME.

Sounds like a raw deal. Glad you landed on your feet.
Thanks
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

And you "saved a few hundred dollars".......and your "upset" about this?

I'd say good ridence.....overall, I'd say you won.....you now have the ins. you want and at a lower cost! :D
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".