Pending Ohio Gun Legislation

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Pending Ohio Gun Legislation

Post by Chuck »

Pops Fun wrote:Should be there..
Thank you Steve
Unfortunately, I can't be there
I hope we pack the place,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Werz wrote:
Morne wrote:HB234 and/or SB338 might well get the NICS compliance language from HB203 inserted into it. While this SEEMS like a good idea, heck I even used to like this concept, it turns out to have a bunch of tangled unintended consequences. There's a possibility that the language inserted into HB234/SB338 will be better than the mess that was in HB203 (no disrespect to that bill's sponsor, Terry Johnson, who when he realized what he had wrought said, "Wow, that's gotta go then!"). We don't (yet) have the amendment wording for this, but we do know that amendments are possible on these bills come Tuesday.
Here's what concerns me. Someone will attempt to slide the NICS compliance language into SB338, along with amendment to R.C. 2923.13 that's already there, and say, "See? We fixed it!" No, you didn't. I have already discussed that here. My response to any such claim is, "Don't pee down my leg and tell me that it's raining."
Is that what has been done with the new "sub bill HB 234"?

"Sec. 2923.125. It is the intent of the general assembly that Ohio concealed handgun license law be compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, that the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives is able to determine that Ohio law is compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, and that no person shall be eligible to receive a concealed handgun license permit under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code unless the person is eligible lawfully to receive or possess a firearm in the United States."
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
BB62

Post by BB62 »

How long will it be until some court says that various sealed expungements count against gun ownership because of the above quoted legislature's "intent"?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
rcsob657

Post by rcsob657 »

So I took a trip to Ada this Wednesday night. I went from Augusta GA, through Charlotte, up I77 through Columbus and basically two different side routes to where I had to go, okay drive foggy as hell up through WV. I left after class and almost drove through the night to get there but stopped 2 hours short because of that fog and induced fatigue. I was checking handgunlaws.us/whatever state as I passed through and realized a good bit into Ohio that not only is this law change later (which will recognize my GA permit) in the month I'm not even allowed to carry a loaded weapon in OH (despite national through travel laws). Glad I never got pulled over, and barely saw a cop at all on those roads in OH.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rcsob657 wrote:So I took a trip to Ada this Wednesday night. I went from Augusta GA, through Charlotte, up I77 through Columbus and basically two different side routes to where I had to go, okay drive foggy as hell up through WV. I left after class and almost drove through the night to get there but stopped 2 hours short because of that fog and induced fatigue. I was checking handgunlaws.us/whatever state as I passed through and realized a good bit into Ohio that not only is this law change later (which will recognize my GA permit) in the month I'm not even allowed to carry a loaded weapon in OH (despite national through travel laws). Glad I never got pulled over, and barely saw a cop at all on those roads in OH.
National travel laws have never allowed one to carry loaded through another state. They simply allow you to transport an unloaded firearm through the state and not worry about state laws in regards to possession if you are simply traveling through. Once you stop traveling through, state laws on possession come into play also. And possession does not equal carry.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.