Anti-gun HB 31 - Call for Advocacy

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Anti-gun HB 31 - Call for Advocacy

Post by Pops Fun »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I'll be there. My wife has a Dr. appt at 1pm and we should be able to get there by 3pm or shortly after.

This is supposed to be a PROponent hearing, but having a few OFCC shirts there can't hurt.
I should be there!!! See ya..
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
mreising

Post by mreising »

I can't make it but give it a good fight. I fail to see why some out of state parents should even be allowed to testify for an Ohio bill, but I know our side has done the same.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

mreising wrote:I can't make it but give it a good fight. I fail to see why some out of state parents should even be allowed to testify for an Ohio bill, but I know our side has done the same.
Actually, I do have a problem with this matter. In the case of Newtown, our law wouldn't have done anything. Besides the victims, no minors were involved. An adult stole a firearm from another adult.

In the case of Nicole Goeser, we at least brought a female that was a victim of the exact law we were trying to change.

If the proponents want to bring out of state parents that have been victims of their children or another child getting access to guns, I have no problem. But when you bring in people totally unrelated to the matter it's just a waste of time. And luckily I can't go to Columbus to speak as I would point that out even if it's tacky to do so.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Pops Fun wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I'll be there. My wife has a Dr. appt at 1pm and we should be able to get there by 3pm or shortly after.

This is supposed to be a PROponent hearing, but having a few OFCC shirts there can't hurt.
I should be there!!! See ya..
Could we get an after-action report ? Thanks.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The Oberlin area League of Women Voters president (Linda Slocum) brought up the "forgotten" deadly loaded magazine in her testimony.

Janae and BriKuz should be thrilled about that.
MyWifeSaidYes
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:The Oberlin area League of Women Voters president (Linda Slocum) brought up the "forgotten" deadly loaded magazine in her testimony.

Janae and BriKuz should be thrilled about that.
Yeah, that's gonna haunt us for years... though I have yet to see a documented case where a loaded magazine killed someone... of course, according to some Oberlin students doing a documentary, even the most anti of the group conceded that the mag is an emotional fear point, NOT an ACTUAL major safety concern... she noted that there is a large amount of emotion from the anti- side, even using statistics specifically to elicit emotional responses...
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Statehouse report on HB 31:
They had their hearing. The Sandy Hook parents told their terrible tale of tragedy and were well received by the committee. Representatives on both sides of the aisle complimented them on their courage, commiserated with them on their tragedy, and thanked them for their efforts.
Rep. Patmon got almost tearful as he compared this bill to the child's car seat law, and the Vice Chairmen also seemed a little choked up and she paid her homage to the parents.

No more hearings until the new year, they say,,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

JediSkipdogg wrote:If the proponents want to bring out of state parents that have been victims of their children or another child getting access to guns, I have no problem. But when you bring in people totally unrelated to the matter it's just a waste of time. And luckily I can't go to Columbus to speak as I would point that out even if it's tacky to do so.
Seeing as how I hate being PC, tacky works real good for me. Some people just need to have their nose rubbed in it for a good reality check.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

It's all political Kabuki theater. Non Carborundum Illegitimi. People in both parties know in advance how they will vote regardless of who presents what to whom. Leadership leads, etc.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Tweed Ring wrote:...People in both parties know in advance how they will vote regardless of who presents what to whom...
Yeah, but ideas for amendments may come up during testimony, so it's worth the trip.

Getting to hear the questions and answers that don't make it into the submitted testimony documents or the hearing minutes is priceless. It gives you some insight on how the committee members think or what they're actually after.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Both houses of the OGA have leadership. Leaders anticipate potential amendments, and give direction to their respective members.. Not a lot of secrets in Columbus, especially around the statehouse.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I disagree with you,
There are several pro-gun democrats in the House, and some republicans seem to be favoring "safe storage"

So how do you think this bill will go, Tweed?
Along party lines?
I'm getting the feeling that some republicans are considering throwing the antis a bone so they don't have to put up with their attacks while campaigning
How many times have we seen the republicans knuckle under to the left before?
This bill has a much better chance of passing than say, the ammo registry bill, although both were introduced by the same guy, I believe.

Marketing is going to be important for this one, I think.
We need to market it's down vote in such a way that the guys who vote with us can argue why they did during their next campaign.
Give them arguments they can use themselves.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

It will die an ignoble death, pretty much on party lines, if it comes up for a vote.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And with around 20 pieces of submitted proponent testimony for this bill, I would urge everyone to create and submit opponent testimony.

Write a letter about whether you support or oppose the bill, and why.

Maybe you, like me, don't want to become a criminal for simply not padlocking your handgun when your own children are home.

Maybe you don't like the idea of becoming a felon for the actions of another.

Maybe you realize that you would be civilly liable for damages if your gun was used negligently by a minor and don't think that you should have the life-long stigma of a felony dumped on top of that.

Or maybe you have your own reasons. Either way, start thinking about what you would like to say. I will be asking everyone to submit individual testimony, even each director of OFCC. I would like to see 100 or more individual items submitted.

If anyone has any questions, just ask.
MyWifeSaidYes
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Bumping this one to point out that if Oklahoma had this bad law, a woman would be dead at the hands of the man accused of molesting her children.

http://kfor.com/2014/09/24/okc-police-c ... s-stabbed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An Oklahoma City man is hospitalized after being shot multiple times by the 11-year-old girl.

Police say the suspect attacked and stabbed the girl’s mother inside the victim’s home near SE 89th and Bryant.
“He stabbed her in the eye, neck and the chest,” said neighbor Carolyn Marsee.
Seeing the violent assault, neighbors say the victim’s 11-year-old daughter grabbed a gun and shot the attacker multiple times inside the home.
HB 31 would make it illegal to store a gun in a manner "that a minor is able to gain access to the firearm". There's an exception for access "as a result of any other person's unlawful entry" which might prevent the mother from being charged under this law, but complying with the law would have gotten her killed. Instead, she's injured but alive and her attacker, who is also accused of molesting children, is in custody.

Supposed "safe storage" laws like this one criminalize the ability to protect yourself and your family from violent attackers. True gun safety comes from education, not prohibition.

At the moment there's not much action on this bill, but bills like this will keep being introduced because some people think that the only safe gun is an inoperable gun, so I wanted to add this incident to the thread.