HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29 <-- NEW DATE !!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29 <-- NEW DATE !!

Post by Chuck »

Attention gun advocates

On Tuesday, October 29, down at the Statehouse, we want to fill the committee room when the House Committee for Policy & Legislative Oversight accepts proponent testimony on HB 203.
HB 203 is known as our "Stand Your Ground" bill, and as such, it will face opposition from the antis, but it actually will do much more.

It will recognize all other states Handgun Licenses, same as drivers licenses;
Make Ohio's CHL's NICS compliant, eliminating the background check for CHL holders when buying a gun;
Shorten the training hours required to obtain a CHL;
Make it easier for service members and law enforcement to obtain their CHL;
Allows for a non-resident license for non-residents who work in Ohio
Allows sheriffs the ability to spend CHL funds on safety training as long as they maintain less than thirty days lead time for CHL application appointments;
And more.

This bill does so much that we would like to ensure that there is testimony of all parts of it, rather than everybody testifying in favor of the same two or three points
Several of you have expressed interest in attending legislative hearings and even testifying on some of these bills.
Posting your intentions here will help give an idea of what's covered and what's not

This is the big one, and we would really like to pack the room for this one.
Even if you don't want to speak, come on down and fill a seat.
Let's show the committee members that this is Ohio, and we want more personal freedom, not less, no matter what skewed numbers the antis will try to run, and the numbers I saw from the Townhall last night make this look pretty popular,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 8

Post by Morne »

I would like to RSVP to address the revisions to ORC 9.68 (statewide preemption) that are in this bill.

Other suggested topics for folks to hit up:
-Changing "citizen" to national (a verbiage technicality, but interesting)
-Reducing minimum hours of training
-Having violent F5s being CHL disqualifiers
-NICS compliance being added to part of the background check
-Keeping active duty service members, stationed outside of Ohio, license active until 6 months from discharge
-Allow nonresident permits for those who work in Ohio
-Removal of duty to retreat
-The exercise of a constitutional right is not disorderly conduct or inducing panic

As Chuck said, let's fill the room! That said, let's not repeat ourselves. If someone testifies about the F5 disqualifier then the committee doesn't need to hear that same point hit again. That's why we're trying to split up the workload, there's plenty for everyone!
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

I plan on being there...

Don't you need a written statement and so many copies of what you say??? or am I wrong.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Anyone from the Cleveland / Akron / Canton area want to car pool? I should be going.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Pops Fun wrote:I plan on being there...

Don't you need a written statement and so many copies of what you say??? or am I wrong.
One can offer either written or verbal testimony, as well as both.
They request copies of written testimony for all the committee members, I'm too lazy to look up how many that is, so I take twenty or so
They set the extras out for the peanut gallery and press on a table

You can just offer verbal testimony if you want
Read from notes or speak off the cuff if you choose,
I try to make mine around one page, regular font for the committee, and
I print my statement out with a large font for the copy I am going to read, (and an extra or two)

Whatcha' gonna talk about? :D
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

:lol: Wasn't thing of myself so much. :lol: I am more of a watcher than a talker......

Have watched for several years and was wondering exactly how it worked.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Pops Fun wrote: I am more of a watcher than a talker......
I know,,,,
Can't blame me for trying, can you?

See you down there!!
Ain't activism fun?

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Morne wrote:Having violent F5s being CHL disqualifiers *** As Chuck said, let's fill the room! That said, let's not repeat ourselves. If someone testifies about the F5 disqualifier then the committee doesn't need to hear that same point hit again. That's why we're trying to split up the workload, there's plenty for everyone!
Note: That still won't prevent convicted crack cocaine and heroin dealers from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun. If that makes it through, anticipate alternative legislation (maybe penalty changes) during the next session, which will be driven by law enforcement and which will create unintended consequences.

Just sayin' ...
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Bianchi? wrote:Anyone from the Cleveland / Akron / Canton area want to car pool? I should be going.
Scratch that. I need to be in Akron that day.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I am trying to secure the time off work for that afternoon. Once I confirm that, I will ping about a topic to testify on.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Morne wrote:
MrMagoo wrote:I talked to the committee chairman's office today and he verified that as of now it's on the schedule for Oct. 8 proponent testimony but the agenda won't be finalized till next week and is subject to change. We need to check the hearing schedule for the committee next week to verify.

Gary
***UPDATE***

The new date for hearing is 10/29.
The OP has been edited to reflect the change,,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

Huntinbull

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29

Post by Huntinbull »

I am skeptical about shortening the training time for the Ohio concealed handgun license. As an NRA certified instructor and a concealed carry class instructor I see students that barely learn enough during the 10 hour classroom Instruction we currently give them. Teaching basic firearms safety before issuing a concealed handgun license would be like teaching someone the controls in the car without teaching how to use them before getting a driver's license. I believe the current 10 our classroom requirement is the minimum that I would be comfortable with
nu3gawhat
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by nu3gawhat »

I didn't have to take any required training to get my Drivers license.....
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

Huntinbull wrote:I am skeptical about shortening the training time for the Ohio concealed handgun license. As an NRA certified instructor and a concealed carry class instructor I see students that barely learn enough during the 10 hour classroom Instruction we currently give them. Teaching basic firearms safety before issuing a concealed handgun license would be like teaching someone the controls in the car without teaching how to use them before getting a driver's license. I believe the current 10 our classroom requirement is the minimum that I would be comfortable with

Well I suggest you stay out of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont and Wyoming if you want to remain "comfortable"
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Huntinbull wrote:I am skeptical about shortening the training time for the Ohio concealed handgun license. As an NRA certified instructor and a concealed carry class instructor I see students that barely learn enough during the 10 hour classroom Instruction we currently give them. Teaching basic firearms safety before issuing a concealed handgun license would be like teaching someone the controls in the car without teaching how to use them before getting a driver's license. I believe the current 10 our classroom requirement is the minimum that I would be comfortable with
I have been involved in training adults in both classroom and physical skills for most of my career. I have been an NRA certified trainer/ chief range safety officer for close to a decade, and earning these various inside the home-outside the home certificates was expensive. Additionally, I own a company which provided training to police and criminal justice agencies.

I support the Ohio General Assembly doing away with the training (both classroom and range) requirements for adult Ohioans to carry concealed firearms and the proscription against carrying other weapons, i.e. batons, etc.