HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29 <-- NEW DATE !!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29

Post by BB62 »

cashman966 wrote:
Huntinbull wrote:I am skeptical about shortening the training time for the Ohio concealed handgun license. As an NRA certified instructor and a concealed carry class instructor I see students that barely learn enough during the 10 hour classroom Instruction we currently give them. Teaching basic firearms safety before issuing a concealed handgun license would be like teaching someone the controls in the car without teaching how to use them before getting a driver's license. I believe the current 10 our classroom requirement is the minimum that I would be comfortable with
Well I suggest you stay out of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont and Wyoming if you want to remain "comfortable"
And Indiana, which also does not require training.

But as a fellow instructor I do understand where you're coming from, Huntinbull.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
slidelock15

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29 <-- NEW DATE !!

Post by slidelock15 »

Assuming I can get time off, I might be interested. There is so much more I would like to see in this bill, but agree this is an improvement. I will post when I get time off arranged or not.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

I'm interested in attending as a spectator. I'm sure I can get the time off, but I've never been to the statehouse or witnessed or been a part of any such proceedings. I'd really like to be more informed. Sometime between now and Oct. 29, I intend to partake in the free guided tours that the Statehouse offers. Can anyone recommend anything else I would need to know about attending?
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

Chuck

Could you include my post “Reciprocity” when it posts and let me know what the answer is?

Wish I could be there to ask them myself.
God bless America, and please hurry!

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
ohioborntexan

Post by ohioborntexan »

ohioborntexan wrote:Chuck

Could you include my post “Reciprocity” when it posts and let me know what the answer is?

Wish I could be there to ask them myself.
If you would like I can give you my name and other particulars.
God bless America, and please hurry!

When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If you guys who can't make it, (or those who can but don't want to speak) would write a letter to the Ohio House Committee for Policy & Legislative Oversight detailing your support for passing this bill, I will print out the required amount of copies and submit them to the committee as written testimony.

Several people have said they are doing this already, and I want to make sure the forum knows
PM me for my email address,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 8

Post by Chuck »

Werz wrote:
Morne wrote:Having violent F5s being CHL disqualifiers *** As Chuck said, let's fill the room! That said, let's not repeat ourselves. If someone testifies about the F5 disqualifier then the committee doesn't need to hear that same point hit again. That's why we're trying to split up the workload, there's plenty for everyone!
Note: That still won't prevent convicted crack cocaine and heroin dealers from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun. If that makes it through, anticipate alternative legislation (maybe penalty changes) during the next session, which will be driven by law enforcement and which will create unintended consequences.

Just sayin' ...
Werz,
If I understand you correctly, your complaint isn't that criminals who are currently prevented from obtaining a license will be permitted if the bill passes, but rather that some criminals who are falling through the cracks now will STILL be slipping through the cracks>

Do I have that right?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I was just wondering if this only about HB203? i understand HB99 is also up for a vote and I would like to speak for that.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

slidelock wrote:I was just wondering if this only about HB203? i understand HB99 is also up for a vote and I would like to speak for that.
Different committee, different room, but why not?
We are all citizens of this great state and speaking to our legislature is our right as such.

I too, want to speak in support of HB99

There is also an anti gun bill up for proponent testimony that day
HB31, it's Patmon's bill to require guns be locked up in the home if there are minors present.
Lots of stuff happening right about now

We have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to find out the committee times when they publish their official schedules for next week.
I'll be posting about it all as soon as I learn the details,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

slidelock15

Post by slidelock15 »

Will there be any meeting with the reps themselves or just committee testimony?
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

slidelock15 wrote:Will there be any meeting with the reps themselves or just committee testimony?

Thread's 2 years old. :roll:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
M-Quigley

Re: HB 203 - Statehouse Activism October 29

Post by M-Quigley »

cashman966 wrote:
Huntinbull wrote:I am skeptical about shortening the training time for the Ohio concealed handgun license. As an NRA certified instructor and a concealed carry class instructor I see students that barely learn enough during the 10 hour classroom Instruction we currently give them. Teaching basic firearms safety before issuing a concealed handgun license would be like teaching someone the controls in the car without teaching how to use them before getting a driver's license. I believe the current 10 our classroom requirement is the minimum that I would be comfortable with

Well I suggest you stay out of Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont and Wyoming if you want to remain "comfortable"
My brother lived in Indiana, and he didn't have any specific training requirement.

Got a question though, any idea what is proposed regarding lowering of hours? Lowering the hours to what?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Again, M-Quigley (can I call you Quigs?) this thread is two years old. The hours-shortening DID happen then, course time requirement was reduced from 12 hours to 8. No talk of reducing it further is on the table now. Okay?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Yeah, I know this thread is two years old, I am still asking if there will be any meetings with the reps themselves. I have some thoughts on how we can get better bang for our buck at any meetings we attend.
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Ok, I missed the date, I have been hoping we were going to have another lobby day.