HB 234: Allows supressors while hunting

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

HB 234: Allows supressors while hunting

Post by rickt »

Introduced yesterday in the House.
H. B. No. 234
-Representatives Grossman, Becker.
Cosponsors: Representatives Boose, Lynch, Brenner, Hood, Beck, Hackett, Retherford, Stebelton, Thompson, Maag.

To amend section 2923.17 and to enact section 1533.04 of the Revised Code to allow a person to use a noise suppressor attached to a gun while hunting game birds or wild quadrupeds
http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... 130_HB_234
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: HB 234: Allows supressors while hunting

Post by Morne »

Yup, heard this one might be coming. Good stuff.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Morne wrote:Yup, heard this one might be coming. Good stuff.
If this passes, wouldn't sheriffs (like mine) have a hard time denying signing your form 4?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
If this passes, wouldn't sheriffs (like mine) have a hard time denying signing your form 4?
If that's the case, let's amend it to add SBRs :-)
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

buckeye43210 wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
If that's the case, let's amend it to add SBRs :-)
I agree... :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Would love to see this happen. My daughter and I both have the perfect squirrel rifles, just begging for cans
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

FlyinCedar wrote:Would love to see this happen. My daughter and I both have the perfect squirrel rifles, just begging for cans
I would love to have this, we would make good use of it.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Sponsor testimony is being held today in the Agriculture and Natural Resources committee. Since every bill gets sponsor testimony, this does not indicate whether the bill will go anywhere. Further hearings will show intent to move the bill.
oldrock

Post by oldrock »

I had no idea it was not legal to use one hunting in the first place. I have one in the works and planed on using it night hunting coyotes. I have never read in the hunting regs that it was not legal. I have never seen mention of it at all. Can someone point out to me where it says you can not?
NRA Lifetime Member
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/1501:31-15-02" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (D)
oldrock

Post by oldrock »

thanks for the reply. there are all sorts of things on that page I have never seen in the regs they give you with a license.
NRA Lifetime Member
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Those are just a guide that you get with the license, and it tells you that on one of the first pages. Very important to check the actual laws
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

First off, don't take this post in the wrong way, I am not against this bill in any way, I am just looking to be educated.

Could someone please give me some of the good reasons for using suppressors while hunting, and why this is needed? I heard someone discussing this last weekend, and I couldn't come up with any good reasons for this, to add to the discussion, other than to keep the noise down, and not disturb the residents close to hunting areas. I know there are better reasons than that, but I drew a complete blank.

On the down side of the discussion, the person was saying that it is a good thing to be able to hear shots when in the woods, so you know where other hunters may be, which I don't necessarily disagree with, but I usually don't rely on gun shots to know where other people are in the woods.

Personally I would love to be able to own, and use a suppressor, but right now I am just looking for some positive reasoning to have in the back of my mind for further discussions.

Thanks! :wink:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

djmac1964 wrote:
Could someone please give me some of the good reasons for using suppressors while hunting, and why this is needed?

keep the noise down, and not disturb the residents close to hunting areas.
I believe those are reasons enough. While it perplexes me how some urban folk move out to the country and immediately think the gunfire should cease because they want it to, they are indeed out there.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FlyinCedar

Post by FlyinCedar »

Another big reason is noise at the gun, that the user is hearing. How many people actually wear hearing protection while hunting? Not that many. I know I personally dont. I want to be able to hear if anyone else is around me, or if someone needs to talk to me, whether it be to locate game, or for a safety reason. When concentrating on shooting game, I dont necessarily hear the shot as loud, but it remains the same decibel level. I pay for it later, even though I dont notice it at the time. If we were able to use a suppressor, that would be much safer, and much less of an issue.

I do understand the side of the argument that it makes it harder to catch poachers, but just like with anything else, poachers are gonna poach. Someone that has gone through the process to obtain a legal suppressor, is very unlikely going to do something that would cause them to lose it. If a poacher wants a suppressor, he is already breaking the law, he might as well just make a hasty suppressor and toss it when done.