NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

curmudgeon3

Re: NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by curmudgeon3 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I would like to see your vehicle made an extension of the home. Just as it is in Castle Doctrine. You should be able to keep your guns in your vehicle the same as in your home, no matter where the vehicle is.
So, if I drive onto the Statehouse lawn, I can still have a car-full of firearms?
In one of these you can. :D Image
That's probably the rig they'll be using for the Citizen Disarmament Program after all the guns are registered.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

As long as Ohio is an "at will" state there is no effective way to legislate carry on employer property. There are two ways to deal with the situation: Obey the rules, or carry on, shut up & take your chances.

As a retiree from a tier one automotive supplier I have been through many downsizings. When these occur many people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Invariably however someone who has irritated management for whatever reason gets shown the door also.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

jabeatty wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I would like to see your vehicle made an extension of the home. Just as it is in Castle Doctrine. You should be able to keep your guns in your vehicle the same as in your home, no matter where the vehicle is.
So, if I drive onto the Statehouse lawn, I can still have a car-full of firearms?
edited: no matter where the vehicle is legally.
Here is a State with a workable Law in the area discussed.
Parking Lot Storage: Summary of Louisiana Senate Bill 51 (Act No. 684) Effective 08/15/08
 Reaffirms the rights of law-abiding Louisianans to transport and store lawfully-possessed firearms in locked, privately-owned motor vehicles – including while traversing or parking in any parking lot, parking garage or other parking area
 States that no property owner, tenant, public or private employer, or business entity shall prohibit any person from transporting and storing a lawfully-possessed firearm in a locked, privately-owned motor vehicle
 A public or private employer or business entity may restrict the transportation and storage of lawfully-possessed firearms in locked private motor vehicles in their parking areas ONLY IF public access is restricted or limited to those areas (can be through the use of a gate, fence, security station,
http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 7
signage, etc.) AND the employer or business ALSO meets one of the following conditions: (1) the employer or business provides facilities for temporary storage of unloaded firearms; OR (2) the employer or business entity provides an alternative parking area reasonably close to the main parking area in which employees, customers or visitors may transport and store firearms in locked vehicles
 An employer or business entity may adopt policies specifying that firearms in locked, privately-owned motor vehicles parked on their property must be hidden from plain view or stored within a locked case or container within the vehicle
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

An unmovable object, and an unstoppable force, cannot co-exist in the same universe. Two rights in conflict cannot have equal value.

I believe the employer has the right, and the obligation, to dictate the terms and conditions of employment to employees. If an employee does not accept those terms and conditions of employment, then leave and find gainful employment, elsewhere.

I support the employers' rights to dictate the terms and conditions...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

quote="pleasantguywhopacks"]
jabeatty wrote:
In one of these you can. :D Image[/quote]

That's probably the rig they'll be using for the Citizen Disarmament Program after all the guns are registered.[/quote]

I have heard that a rag, bottle, and a quart of gas will remedy that problem...oh for got, you need a match..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

I'd like to see legislation that compels all citizens of Ohio, being of legal age, non-felon and not mentally disabled, to purchase a firearm and applicable ammunition and to become proficient in use of the same. Those not in compliance will be required to pay a penalty/fine (read tax) to make it all legal like Obamacare. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Victory Bill on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Big believer in choice, here. If people want to have guns, fine. If people do not ant to have guns, that's fine, too.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

carmen fovozzo wrote:quote="pleasantguywhopacks"]
jabeatty wrote:
In one of these you can. :D Image
That's probably the rig they'll be using for the Citizen Disarmament Program after all the guns are registered.[/quote]

I have heard that a rag, bottle, and a quart of gas will remedy that problem...oh for got, you need a match..[/quote]

I can see the need for a IED in the driveway!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Victory Bill wrote:I'd like to see legislation that compels all citizens of Ohio, being of legal age, non-felon and not mentally disabled, to purchase a firearm and applicable ammunition and to become proficient in use of the same. Those not in compliance will be required to pay a penalty/fine (read tax) to make it all legal like Obamacare. :mrgreen:
As long as we're violating the constitution........ :|
I've had consistently good results with ether.
expo2248

Post by expo2248 »

Tweed Ring wrote:I would like to see the notification to police be eliminated.

However, we did fight a war over, in part, property rights, and I do not want to see the Ohio General Assembly weaken the rights of property owners.
I agree. I've always thought that requirement was stupid backwards...make it a requirement that non-CHL holders notify police when stopped and carrying.
We are the good guys.
The sheep do not want the dog around--he looks too much like the wolf. He reminds them there is danger out there just beyond the relative safety of the fence. The wolf also hates the dog. He knows it's the dog that stands between him and his prey. The dog is the reason the wolf is lean and why he is forced to stalk the darkness.
: Police
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In other states, drivers, passengers, and the various levels of law enforcement co-exist peacefully, without any notification. If these other states can so act, why not Ohio, as well?
robertov416

Post by robertov416 »

Victory Bill wrote:I'd like to see legislation that compels all citizens of Ohio, being of legal age, non-felon and not mentally disabled, to purchase a firearm and applicable ammunition and to become proficient in use of the same. Those not in compliance will be required to pay a penalty/fine (read tax) to make it all legal like Obamacare. :mrgreen:
I have an Aunt and Uncle in Kennesaw, GA (near Atlanta). They have a law similar to that. Enforcement is weak, but the crime rate has gone down nonetheless, probably due to word of mouth. :wink:
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

WestonDon wrote:As long as Ohio is an "at will" state there is no effective way to legislate carry on employer property. There are two ways to deal with the situation: Obey the rules, or carry on, shut up & take your chances.

As a retiree from a tier one automotive supplier I have been through many downsizings. When these occur many people have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Invariably however someone who has irritated management for whatever reason gets shown the door also.
Typically, in a downsizing/rightsizing, there's always room for a couple of the "problem children."
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

I am sure this has been covered many many times.
And yes I understand that land owners rights should trump visitors rights.

But here is what I think on businesses

I think business if they are open to the public must allow lawful citizens to carry while on their property.
If they are open to the public I don't feel they should be able to discriminate based on whether a person is lawfully carrying.

If certain places want to have a certain dress code (like certain fancy restaurants then yes sure they can ask that their patrons carry concealed)
Businesses already have to comply with some rather strict rules that they would prefer not to deal with...
I had to correct one deli owner that they could not restrict a blind man with a service animal. (He was saying that animals were not allowed in)

This doesn't mean that the business own can't simply say you are being disorderly for those that are blatantly being unsafe. (such as a pair of good ole boys screwing around in gander mountain etc.)

I just think the blanket law for all those that lawfully carry should be done away with. or at the very least made it so you have to be asked to leave and refuse before it becomes and actual violation.
Life without music is a mistake.
Michael0317

Post by Michael0317 »

I would like to see the form 4473 requirement go away for a CHL holder, like some states already do.