NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by Tweed Ring »

whoownsyou wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:I infringed upon the First Amendment Rights (Freedom of Speech) and Second Amendment Rights (Keep and Bear Arms) of my employees all the time. What I did was exercise of sound management practices. It was clearly not illegal.
Two people entering into a consensual agreement cannot be viewed as either infringing upon the other.
Very well done, Grasshopper.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I don't know about that..My wife says I am always infringing on her rights.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Victory Bill

Post by Victory Bill »

Bianchi? wrote:
Victory Bill wrote:I'd like to see legislation that compels all citizens of Ohio, being of legal age, non-felon and not mentally disabled, to purchase a firearm and applicable ammunition and to become proficient in use of the same. Those not in compliance will be required to pay a penalty/fine (read tax) to make it all legal like Obamacare. :mrgreen:
As long as we're violating the constitution........ :|
My bad...I thought :mrgreen: meant sarcasm.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Victory Bill wrote:
Bianchi? wrote:
Victory Bill wrote:I'd like to see legislation that compels all citizens of Ohio, being of legal age, non-felon and not mentally disabled, to purchase a firearm and applicable ammunition and to become proficient in use of the same. Those not in compliance will be required to pay a penalty/fine (read tax) to make it all legal like Obamacare. :mrgreen:
As long as we're violating the constitution........ :|
My bad...I thought :mrgreen: meant sarcasm.
Actually I am not so sure that would violate the constitution. Might make an interesting supreme court case. At least it would make good theatre.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WestonDon wrote:Actually I am not so sure that would violate the constitution. Might make an interesting supreme court case. At least it would make good theatre.
Yep. As Bill said so long as the alternative to not buying a gun is a $2,000 per year fine tax then there should be no constitutional issues whatsoever. Even better would be to set minimum standards so for example a KelTec isn't good enough. You must buy at least a full frame revolver for the purchase to be considered "qualified."
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

djthomas wrote:Yep. As Bill said so long as the alternative to not buying a gun is a $2,000 per year fine tax then there should be no constitutional issues whatsoever. Even better would be to set minimum standards so for example a KelTec isn't good enough. You must buy at least a full frame revolver for the purchase to be considered "qualified."
I like your thinking. I nominate you for our next President!!!!
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

My list would be:
CHL becomes CWL
Notification disappears
Presenting a CHL/CWL negates need for a NICS check (although it seems there's a tradeoff there from earlier posts in this thread). Are there any requirements on this that would make it a poison pill/bad tradeoff that I'm not catching?
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

DaveT wrote:Presenting a CHL/CWL negates need for a NICS check (although it seems there's a tradeoff there from earlier posts in this thread). Are there any requirements on this that would make it a poison pill/bad tradeoff that I'm not catching?
The only downside I can think of (and it hasn't manifested itself elsewhere) is that an FBI check will be necessary for issuing a license, and those checks could be limited or up-charged by the Feds. Also, the license can only be good for a limited number of years which would negate the option of having a lifetime license like Indiana offers.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Thanks for the response...would I then be correct in thinking that, if this were the case, use of a valid CHL/CWL that precludes the need for a NICS check would then avoid the use of NICS as a de facto gun registration? So, you could use a CHL/CWL and avoid any delay in a purchase, and there would be no NICS record of the purchase as well?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

DaveT wrote:Thanks for the response...would I then be correct in thinking that, if this were the case, use of a valid CHL/CWL that precludes the need for a NICS check would then avoid the use of NICS as a de facto gun registration? So, you could use a CHL/CWL and avoid any delay in a purchase, and there would be no NICS record of the purchase as well?
That's correct. However in states where a CHL qualifies as an NICS substitute you still fill out all the same paperwork and the dealer retains it all the same. The only difference is that they don't have to call the FBI for approval.

If the mainstream media sources are to be believed it sounds like a group of senators are close to agreeing on requiring background check for all sales except to family members and others with a qualifying CHL. The elephant in the room is what kind of record a private seller would need to be able to prove that he lawfully transferred the firearm.
lrp3rd

Post by lrp3rd »

I'd like to see the CHL, the DL, the C & R, + the FFL combined in some way on the back of one picture ID. I've got enough cards as it is in my wallet. Sure would hush up those people who want to have background checks for the private exchange/sale of firearms between Ohio residents. Or how about just adding a NICS to the BMV requirements. Two birds with one stone say if you want to continue on to get your CHL or place a "firearms disability" right on your DL as well as a possible mental problem without being too blatant and intrusive. Flag'm early and watch from there. Most of the time problems pop up way before happenings like Sandy Hook. Yeah, I know too much gumint but what's a guy supposed to do when overwhelmed with information and can't afford a person to handle it for him.
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

lrp3rd wrote:I'd like to see the CHL, the DL, the C & R, + the FFL combined in some way on the back of one picture ID. I've got enough cards as it is in my wallet. Sure would hush up those people who want to have background checks for the private exchange/sale of firearms between Ohio residents. Or how about just adding a NICS to the BMV requirements. Two birds with one stone say if you want to continue on to get your CHL or place a "firearms disability" right on your DL as well as a possible mental problem without being too blatant and intrusive. Flag'm early and watch from there. Most of the time problems pop up way before happenings like Sandy Hook. Yeah, I know too much gumint but what's a guy supposed to do when overwhelmed with information and can't afford a person to handle it for him.
When you say it's okay for somebody to flag people, it's only a matter of time before that flag will be planted in you too. It's easy to sell a frightened public on words like mentally ill or terrorist. Once they do though, the definition of those words gets broadened until it, or other, similarly debilitating descriptors applies to anybody they see fit to apply it to.

The way I see it, if you are talking to somebody who is not behind bars, they are free to operate a motor vehicle and carry a gun. Please note the lack of mention of a license or permission. Like the descriptors above, the moment you okay punishing somebody for what they MIGHT do, the process grows to encompass us all.

You cannot prevent tragedies. You cannot stop terror. You cannot punish the innocent for the transgressions of others. In fact, excessive pushing people around tends to lead to these tragedies, from without and within.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
BobK

Post by BobK »

lrp3rd wrote:I'd like to see the CHL, the DL, the C & R, + the FFL combined in some way on the back of one picture ID.
I don't want anyone who looks at my driver's license to be able to know I have a CHL or an FFL.

Employers look at driver's licenses.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?