NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by slidelock »

I'd like to see a discussion of possible gun laws for this year. I am hoping that notification goes away. What would you like to see?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: NEW OHIO GUN LAWS 2013?

Post by Sevens »

I'd love to see parking lot protection for employees.
Mostly because it would benefit everyone who carries legally in Ohio.
Also 'cause jabeatty would die inside a little bit! :twisted: Who doesn't want that?! :P :wink:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

Taking away the power of no gun signs. i.e. not a criminal matter.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Sevens wrote:I'd love to see parking lot protection for employees.
Also 'cause jabeatty would die inside a little bit! :twisted: Who doesn't want that?! :P :wink:
That's cold, man... just cold. :)

Why not chop away all the state restrictions before we start hacking at property rights? You know, like being able to carry inside the buildings that we all paid for, or in churches that aren't posted, or at a daycare center.

You could trash the gun-specific nature of any of the privately-prohibited places and let pre-existing statutes cover the issue. Carry inside a posted piece of private property? Trespassing, nothing more, nothing less - and no diminishing of rights for the property owner.

"Parking lot protection" laws are just a way of getting "conservatives" to sign on to the idea that government has the right to dictate which privileges can be included in an employment arrangement. Once you sign on to that line of thinking, what possible argument can you have in the future when those privileges are reversed, and firearms are prohibited in *every* employee parking lot?

ETA: Or firearms ownership (or some class of it - maybe those evil black rifles) becomes a disqualifier for private employment? Nah, couldn't happen here - not unless we asked them, right?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I would like parking on and in any parking lot to be legal, no exclucions...including schools and church's for CHLH....stow it and lock it....see nothing that could possibly hurt....Why should I go to church and have to leave my gun home ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Let's try sea to sea state CHL reciprocity again, just like driver's and vehicle licenses.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

jabeatty wrote:
I've waivered back and forth on this topic, but I think Jim has convinced me of his point of view. Shocking, I know... :shock: :mrgreen:

Rather than "parking lot protection" I'd rather just see the force of law removed from the signage (minimal though it may be in some instances, particularly when it comes to parking lots). That way, it truly is an issue between the employee and employer and the state isn't involved one way or the other.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I would like to see the notification to police be eliminated.

However, we did fight a war over, in part, property rights, and I do not want to see the Ohio General Assembly weaken the rights of property owners.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Okay, you guys that want to champion "property rights", how about we support property rights: my car is MY property and no one has the right to search it, no matter where it is, without a court ordered search warrant?
curmudgeon3 wrote:Let's try sea to sea state CHL reciprocity again, just like driver's and vehicle licenses.
I'm not sure if you are asking for federal legislation (which driver's and vehicles licenses are not) or just broader reciprocity.
The more law-abiding people that have guns, the better off we are," Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said. "Because the bad guys always have guns, You look at these school shootings or church shootings, the ones that have been stopped, it was because someone there had a gun."
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

OhioPaints wrote:Okay, you guys that want to champion "property rights", how about we support property rights: my car is MY property and no one has the right to search it, no matter where it is, without a court ordered search warrant?
No problem, as long as you don't drive it on to my property.

The property owner sets the terms for ingress and egress; you come on my property, it's subject to my terms.

If I allow you to bring your automobile onto my property, I may make that permission a conditional one... much like the terms of your employment.

Of course, if you disagree with this, perhaps you'll allow me to park some of my vehicles on your property and store some items in them. Or maybe I could just put up a small storage building - it'd be my property, after all. Certainly you'd have no cause to complain!
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

sodbuster95 wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
I've waivered back and forth on this topic, but I think Jim has convinced me of his point of view. Shocking, I know... :shock: :mrgreen:

Rather than "parking lot protection" I'd rather just see the force of law removed from the signage (minimal though it may be in some instances, particularly when it comes to parking lots). That way, it truly is an issue between the employee and employer and the state isn't involved one way or the other.
I'd say I'm in agreement as well.

I have enough conviction to tell anyone wanting to search my vehicle to pound salt. In 30 yrs of working all over, I have never had anyone search or want to search my vehicle in a workplace environment.

Lets just make it a civil trespass infraction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

OhioPaints wrote:... my car is MY property and no one has the right to search it, no matter where it is, without a court ordered search warrant?
Where did you get that idea?
"[The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,] and [no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.]" U.S. Const. Amend. IV.
Two distinct clauses:
  1. Searches must be reasonable; and
  2. If you want the presumptive authorization of a warrant, here's what you must do.
That's the literal text. The so-called "search warrant requirement" is a judicially created rule, just like the so-called "automobile exception."

So regardless of whether you're a blind literalist or a follower of judicial interpretations, that argument fails.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Remove notification

decriminalize private CPZ's

Remove statutory CPZ's entirely. (At least make federal facilities only subject to federal rules.)

Expand recriprocity to any state willing to recognize ours.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

We do not want to weaken property rights at all. We may have our own battle over property rights coming soon.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

CHL becomes CWL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA