Ohio waiting period?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

eweeks

Ohio waiting period?

Post by eweeks »

Forgive this question, it may seem ignorant. But as I am new to Ohio, I was wondering if anyone could tell me, is there a waiting period when buying a new handgun? I am in Summit County, Akron, if it matters.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Only if there is a local ordinace requiring it. There isn't in most places.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Ohio waiting period?

Post by jgarvas »

eweeks wrote:Forgive this question, it may seem ignorant. But as I am new to Ohio, I was wondering if anyone could tell me, is there a waiting period when buying a new handgun? I am in Summit County, Akron, if it matters.
BTW: The Akron gun show is this weekend. I forgot to go this morning. Its at the Summit County fairgrounds. Since you're new to the area you'd take SR8 northbound to Howe Road, go east on Howe until you get to SR91 and turn left.

The fairgrounds should be a right turn off SR91. If you purchase from a dealer they'll do an FFL check on you at the show as usual.

-jeff
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
eweeks

Post by eweeks »

Thanks for the info. It's going to be nice living in a state that doesn't think your evil because you have fired a gun in your life. I like it here alot better than WI.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

eweeks wrote:TIt's going to be nice living in a state that doesn't think your evil because you have fired a gun in your life.
Oh, we'll think you're evil all right! We're just willing to put up with a lot... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Ohio waiting period?

Post by Petrovich »

eweeks wrote:Forgive this question, it may seem ignorant. But as I am new to Ohio, I was wondering if anyone could tell me, is there a waiting period when buying a new handgun? I am in Summit County, Akron, if it matters.
That provision of the bradybull expired on a federal level. States had the option of keeping it. Ohio didn't.

Now you're called in for a NICS check. If you pass you can purchase the firearm.
eweeks

Post by eweeks »

Well, my old state didn't "appreciate" gun owners, so they kept that particular rule. As for the NICS check, I figure if I could guard the nukes, I should be able to shoot a .45, lol.

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

Also, there is about a 10% chance to get a delay on the NICS check, which may last up to 3 days. Again, this is pretty random, and often the delay is cleared way before the three day period is over. My last firearm purchase was delayed by 1.5 hours for that very reason.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
GWC

Post by GWC »

For some reason my instant checks always go through in about 10 seconds.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

What hinders me is the fact that I'm a resident alien. Since 2002 the NICS system performs an automated query to the ICE (read: Immigration), which in turn creates an automated response containing my immigrant status. This normally means that the approval comes within the hour, but is not immediate.

I'm currently on another delay, wondering why it is taking so long this time.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"