Guns and Alcoholics

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Guns and Alcoholics

Post by catfish86 »

There are many people that can drink one or two and leave it at that. There is a certain percentage of the population that process alcohol differently than others. Some have referred to it as an illness, others as an allergy. For these people it is best not to have even the first drink because willpower doesn't matter to them once the alcohol enters their system. An overwhelming desire for more is triggered at that point for these people. However generally speaking if these people follow some program (active Christianity, AA, etc) of self reflection and connection with others, generally they can remain sober and are not "chronic alcoholics" which essentially refers to active drinking alcoholics.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

mrbone wrote:
djmac1964 wrote:Went in for a physical a few years ago, the doctor ask me if I drank. I told him I sometimes drink up to a 12 pack a week, he said I was a borderline alcoholic! :shock: Guess I need to turn in my guns!
2 day is the recomended max for men, which you are just below. I believe many medical studies have shown that men who drink 2 a day live longer than those who drink more than that, but also live longer than those who do not drink at all. So keep it up!
New meaning to the phrase 'two-a-day'
Booyah!
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Aesinsp wrote:
mrbone wrote:
djmac1964 wrote:Went in for a physical a few years ago, the doctor ask me if I drank. I told him I sometimes drink up to a 12 pack a week, he said I was a borderline alcoholic! :shock: Guess I need to turn in my guns!
2 day is the recomended max for men, which you are just below. I believe many medical studies have shown that men who drink 2 a day live longer than those who drink more than that, but also live longer than those who do not drink at all. So keep it up!
New meaning to the phrase 'two-a-day'
Booyah!
I actually never drink anything with alcohol through the work week, but come Sat, I may go through a 12 pack while we are setting around the camp fire in the evening, at the camper. Possibly a few more on Sunday evening, once we settle in. I never even pick up a bottle of beer until I know I'm done for the evening, guns are put away, and will not have to move from my chair, except to go to bed! And I very rarely ever touch anything other than beer.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

mrbone wrote:2 day is the recomended max for men ...
When consumed on a daily basis, yes. That does not mean it can be averaged out. Here is what The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism says:
Moderate alcohol consumption:

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, moderate drinking is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.

Binge Drinking:
  • NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.
  • The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as drinking 5 or more alcoholic drinks on the same occasion on at least 1 day in the past 30 days.
Generally, if you think you have a problem, there's good chance you do. The classic test is to go 30 days without drinking any alcohol. If that really bothers you, it is an issue you should examine further.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Werz wrote:Generally, if you think you have a problem, there's good chance you do.
Very true. "Normal" social drinkers don't walk around wondering whether or not they have a drinking problem.
Werz wrote: The classic test is to go 30 days without drinking any alcohol. If that really bothers you, it is an issue you should examine further.
The classic test is highly inaccurate.

The better test is for someone to attempt controlled drinking. The person should commit that they are going to drink one and only one drink per day for 30 days. An alcoholic will be unable to limit himself to a single drink every day. In short order, he will find himself drunk; possibly without even understanding how or why it happened.

The original big book Alcoholics Anonymous published back in the 1930's said much the same thing on page 31:
We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take you long to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of the jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BobK wrote:
Werz wrote:The classic test is to go 30 days without drinking any alcohol. If that really bothers you, it is an issue you should examine further.
The classic test is highly inaccurate.

The better test is for someone to attempt controlled drinking. The person should commit that they are going to drink one and only one drink per day for 30 days. An alcoholic will be unable to limit himself to a single drink every day. In short order, he will find himself drunk; possibly without even understanding how or why it happened.

The original big book Alcoholics Anonymous published back in the 1930's said much the same thing on page 31:
We do not like to pronounce any individual as alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take you long to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of the jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.
I was trying to be generous with the 30 days, since compulsion will become manifest in most alcoholics by that time. I was thinking more in terms of this:
"If anyone questions whether he has entered this dangerous area, let him try leaving liquor alone for one year. If he is a real alcoholic and very far advanced, there is scant chance of success." Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism, 3rd ed., New York: Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, 1976, 34.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Janardenz

Post by Janardenz »

And compared with gun owners who kept their firearms at home unloaded and under lock and key, those who said they sometimes carry a loaded weapon for personal protection or who keep a weapon loaded and unlocked around the house were more likely to do things like drink and drive, and to engage in what substance abuse researchers call "binge drinking."
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I learned as a teen…alcohol and firearms, and alcohol and professional fireworks just do not mix.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Alcohol and Barcaloungers, however, are a great fit.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Janardenz wrote:And compared with gun owners who kept their firearms at home unloaded and under lock and key, those who said they sometimes carry a loaded weapon for personal protection or who keep a weapon loaded and unlocked around the house were more likely to do things like drink and drive, and to engage in what substance abuse researchers call "binge drinking."
While those who keep all their firearms unloaded and under lock and key, being more reserved and secretive, are more likely to be child molesters.
-- BobK
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Werz wrote:
Janardenz wrote:And compared with gun owners who kept their firearms at home unloaded and under lock and key, those who said they sometimes carry a loaded weapon for personal protection or who keep a weapon loaded and unlocked around the house were more likely to do things like drink and drive, and to engage in what substance abuse researchers call "binge drinking."
While those who keep all their firearms unloaded and under lock and key, being more reserved and secretive, are more likely to be child molesters.
Where are you guys getting these assertions? Just curious.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Perhaps the gentle poster was engaging in sarcasm…
BillytheKidder

Post by BillytheKidder »

If I were a non-practicing alcoholic, I would not be inclined to share that information with anyone who might be keeping records; this includes physicians, who might be jotting things down in my medical records. All they need to know is that at some point, X-years ago, I did drink and that I no longer drink.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

BillytheKidder wrote:If I were a non-practicing alcoholic, I would not be inclined to share that information with anyone who might be keeping records; this includes physicians, who might be jotting things down in my medical records. All they need to know is that at some point, X-years ago, I did drink and that I no longer drink.
And, pray tell, how would that privileged communication become admissible in a court of law?
-- BobK
BobK

Post by BobK »

Werz wrote:
BillytheKidder wrote:If I were a non-practicing alcoholic, I would not be inclined to share that information with anyone who might be keeping records; this includes physicians, who might be jotting things down in my medical records. All they need to know is that at some point, X-years ago, I did drink and that I no longer drink.
And, pray tell, how would that privileged communication become admissible in a court of law?
One never knows where one might move years down the road.

There are states where a CHL licensee signs a medical release allowing the state issuing authority to review health records as part of issuing the license. The expected cases like Massachusetts wouldn't surprise anyone, but so-called gun-friendly states like Texas are also on that list. In Texas, if someone has received alcoholism treatment in the last 5 years, they cannot get a CHL. If someone has on their record that they ever received substance abuse treatment, it needs to be reviewed by the medical board. My attitude towards that: "nunya".

Also, look at the uproar that goes on every time something like Sandy Hook gets the anti-gunners pushing for new restrictions. What is legal today may not be legal 10 years from now.

Think of people in the 1980's who plea bargained a domestic violence misdemeanor, never dreaming that it could affect their ability to own firearms years later.

If I was alcoholic sober in AA, I would never admit that to a medical professional.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?