Guns and Alcoholics

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Guns and Alcoholics

Post by schmieg »

Included in the continuing education requirements for attorneys are courses on substance abuse. Most seminars will include a portion on this to allow attorneys to meet the requirements. I was at a seminar a few years ago which had a rep from AA in as part of the substance abuse portion. He pretty much ticked everyone off as he started off with the statement that everyone was an alcoholic - they just hadn't started yet. He felt that total abstinence was the only solution. It did engender discussion which we continued at the bar after the seminar.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

djmac1964 wrote:Went in for a physical a few years ago, the doctor ask me if I drank. I told him I sometimes drink up to a 12 pack a week, he said I was a borderline alcoholic! :shock: Guess I need to turn in my guns!
That's just nuts. 1.7 beers a day?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

This is a link that I picked up from another message board that provides a fairly thorough but not burdensome analysis of how dangerous your drinking might be. It was provided by a licensed clinical social worker specializing in sexual abuse. Many of his clients are substance abusers for obvious reasons.

http://www.CheckYourDrinking.net
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Imcrazy wrote:
Jake wrote:Chronic drunk, I suppose.
Chronic makes it sound like such a negative thing I think constant drunk is a nicer way to put it 8)
How about rarely sober ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
GhostOfJefferson

Post by GhostOfJefferson »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
djmac1964 wrote:Went in for a physical a few years ago, the doctor ask me if I drank. I told him I sometimes drink up to a 12 pack a week, he said I was a borderline alcoholic! :shock: Guess I need to turn in my guns!
That's just nuts. 1.7 beers a day?
Remember that many doctors get their drinking information straight from MADD or AA, and very little of it from actual science. Also keep in mind that these are the same kinds of doctors who take Handguns Inc. seriously as well, with all of their unscientific metrics.

I trust a doctor to diagnose and treat actual medical problems and conditions. When they start preaching to me that 1.7 drinks a day is anything except medically healthy (current real science states that 2 normal sized drinks a day is actually good for you), then I consider them either ignorant or practicing an agenda and not medicine.

The problem with the law being discussed, in my view, is precisely that it hits the absurd subjective standard of "I know it when I see it". That makes it a matter of men, not laws, which is a reversal of how things are supposed to be. Reality is reality, and I understand that, it's just a shame that so much boils down to an individual pronoucement from what may be an uninformed source.
"Oh, Bother," said Pooh, as he slapped in a new magazine and jacked the slide of his 1911A1.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Get a new doctor.

If you're feeling foggy, ask him about the relationship between alcohol consumption and HDL (good cholesterol). :mrgreen:

My last two primary care docs only mention alcohol consumption in relation to drug interactions or proximity to getting bloodwork done. I am sure if I expressed concern about my drinking they would gladly help, but it is not a worry.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Two beers in the evening is my normal in the summertime.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Morne wrote:
Get a new doctor.

If you're feeling foggy, ask him about the relationship between alcohol consumption and HDL (good cholesterol). :mrgreen:

My last two primary care docs only mention alcohol consumption in relation to drug interactions or proximity to getting bloodwork done. I am sure if I expressed concern about my drinking they would gladly help, but it is not a worry.
Never went back after that! that was several years ago.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Reading some of the answers, I am a little less worried about abuse by prosecutors with unstated motives in removing guns. Although this could be abused.
God,

Gun control is racist.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

catfish86 wrote:Reading some of the answers, I am a little less worried about abuse by prosecutors with unstated motives in removing guns. Although this could be abused.
Anything CAN BE abused. The trick is to write the law making it more difficult to do so.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

With the advent of these electronic medical records and the fact that you'll show an ID when buying alcohol...it has all the potential of danger.

Australia wants to track alcohol like it tracks prescription meds. Not such a leap to say that if you're under the influence of prescription meds while carrying, you're not sober, therefore it's illegal.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

catfish86 wrote:I was having a discussion with another gentleman and he stated something about alcoholics are not allowed to have guns... Anyway, does that mean, for instance that if one regularly attends AA(Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings, that one is restricted in their rights? What exactly do they mean by chronic alcoholic?
IMO,if you,or anyone onthis board needs AA,(or NA-Narcotics Anonymous), and your attending meetings-good for you! I hope you find "tools" there for a better life.

HOWEVER-I would suggest using the 2nd half of there name: be ANONYMOUS. Don't be an "official" member. I believe that they take privacy seriously, and you can attend events known only as,say,"Cat", not Catfish86 :wink: .

Why create a paper trail for someone in the future to follow?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Reading through this because of another thread, I had some additional thoughts on AA and whether they are "scientific". As someone who has a Social Work degree and has dealt extensively with AA and the steps, many in the medical profession respect the steps and AA more so after they review the scientific literature. Keep in mind that one of the founders had received therapy from Carl Jung, the other was a medical doctor. It was not developed by a couple of guys sitting at the end of the bar after their shift at the factory. It has worked for millions because it embodies a collective experience of what works. Having reviewed a lot of studies and literature on substance abuse, I look at the 12 steps and I am hard pressed to find something to change for the better.
God,

Gun control is racist.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I don't know if AA is scientific or not. I do know the program works.
mrbone

Post by mrbone »

2 day is the recomended max for men, which you are just below. I believe many medical studies have shown that men who drink 2 a day live longer than those who drink more than that, but also live longer than those who do not drink at all. So keep it up!