Aslanides reform bill to debut next week!

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Aslanides reform bill to debut next week!

Post by Daniel »

OFCC has learned that Representative Jim Aslanides' CHL reform bill is on schedule to be introduced next week. Rest assured that we will be posting the full text in it's entirety, along with an in-depth analysis as soon as possible.

Some key issues to be addressed are:

• Statewide preemption to prevent a patchwork of local gun laws

• Removes the plain sight requirement for a CHL holder carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle

• The license fee would increase to $55, but the license would be good for 5 year

• Renewal notices would be sent by county sheriff's as a reminder when your license is due to expire

• Affirmative defense for discharge of a firearm from a vessel or motor vehicle if the act was for self-defense

• Provides a definition for a "loaded firearm" as actually containing ammunition in the firearm and specifically denotes a firearm as unloaded if ammunition is merely near the firearm

Go to the OFCC website to read the entire story!
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Wow! Point by point it sounds like someone who knows what is going on is working to remedy the situation.

I wonder how much of it -- if any -- will make it into law... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

I didn't notice anything about the media loop hole :(
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

It also has an "opt out" type option about media access.

Also, from what I read, it seems to eliminate almost ALL restrictions on weapons for LEOs.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Aslanides reform bill to debut next week!

Post by TunnelRat »

Cable wrote:• Removes the plain sight requirement for a CHL holder carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle
Yeah, but it still requires a holster. Those of us who enjoy the ease of carry with a Hip-Grip, or a Clip-Draw, or any of the clips available for Kel-Tecs and Glocks are still out of luck. Nor can we carry in a pocket or a purse unless that pocket or purse be fitted with a holster.

Thus an unnecesary, extra, and dumb provision still remains. Why does the legislature feel the need to dictate how we carry?

But, yeah, it's better -- way better than it was.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Aslanides reform bill to debut next week!

Post by Daniel »

TunnelRat wrote:Yeah, but it still requires a holster.
I agree. It certainly isn't perfect! But, it's a good start.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

Post by Hermangotshisguns »

Yes so email your State Senator and ask for Support on this Bill. We need this one past.

http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/

You can find there email address and phone number listed on that site. Just enter in your zip and go.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Tom , you really should give up carrying that PURSE! :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Brian D. wrote:Tom , you really should give up carrying that PURSE! :lol:
Whoops! I "outed" myself.... :roll:
TunnelRat

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Here's my letter to Senator Fedor. She's not a strong supporter of firearms rights (so far as I know), so I softened the language a bit. It doesn't hurt to try to win people over, and it doesn't help to try to bowl them over...
The wise, careful, and crafty TunnelRat wrote:The Honorable Teresa Fedor,

Representative Jim Aslanides' CHL reform bill is on schedule to be introduced next week. Do please offer your support to this bill.

Concealed Carry may not be the best idea that has come down the pike, but if we're going to have it, let's at least try to do it wisely and safely. This bill seems to correct many of the more glaring difficulties and unsafe practises required by HB12.

Very truly yours,

Tom ...., J.D.
Toledo
Last edited by TunnelRat on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TunnelRat

Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

TunnelRat wrote:Here's my letter to Senator Fedor. She's not a strong supporter of firearms rights (so far as I know), so I softened the language a bit. It doesn't hurt to try to win people over, and it doesn't help to try to bowl them over...
The wise, careful, and crafty TunnelRat wrote:The Honorable Teresa Fedor,

Representative Jim Aslanides' CHL reform bill is on schedule to be introduced next week. Do please offer your support to this bill.

Concealed Carry may not be the best idea that has come down the pike, but if we're going to have it, let's at least try to do it wisely and safely. This bill seems to correct many of the more glaring difficulties and unsafe practises required by HB12.

Very truly yours,

Tom ...., J.D.
Toledo

I heard she voted for HB12. Also, that she is willing to listen
Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

Hell,
Email the GOV as well. Here is the link in where to do it.

http://governor.ohio.gov/contactinfopage.asp

If you want reform you need to get on the ball. You need to let them know and understand how bad this change needs to be made. Don't waste any time.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Hermangotshisguns wrote:Hell,
Email the GOV as well. Here is the link in where to do it.

http://governor.ohio.gov/contactinfopage.asp

If you want reform you need to get on the ball. You need to let them know and understand how bad this change needs to be made. Don't waste any time.
Folks,

If you go here:

http://www.OhioCCW.org/alet.php

Put in your information and pick a template. If you don't like the template, delete all of the contents and write your own BRIEF letter.

The system will:

1. Identify your Senator and Representative
2. Give you their telephone number (Call and tell them you're a constituent, a member of OFCC, and that you're in favor of CCW reform)
3. Send your letter.

We will:

1. Deliver it via email to their office as if it came from your email address, so if they choose to reply, you get the response.

2. Deliver it to the Governor through his website with your contact information

3. Store it for future use. We have been known to print out 3000+ individual letters from the ALET tool and hand deliver them to the House and Senate in the past.

4. We've also been known to start faxing these letters directly to Columbus, so they show up on hard paper -- with your name and address and personalized letter.

They make EXCELLENT props for testimony at hearings too, so please, hop into ALET and write a letter. If you take the time to customize it (and make it brief, these legislative aides are just going to determine where you stand on the issue and put a hash mark under pro or con).

When HB12 passed the Dayton Daily news revealed that "pro gun" forces called or wrote 11 times for every 1 anti-gun telephone call.

Lets double that momentum to get this legislation fixed.

-Jeff Garvas
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

I emailed my representatives and requested their support. I know you can find the bill's online and passed versions and other versions and who sponsored the bills. Is there anywhere to find voting records and who voted for what? That's nice when wording letters to representatives if you know they did or did not support a certain bill.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

Sent my letter off to Senator Stivers this afternoon

Senator Stivers,

Sir I would like to request your support for this legislation as it will fix many of the problems with Ohio and Columbus’s firearms laws.

I am an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran, returned March of this year, and a Concealed Carry Holder

Thank you

SFC Stephen R Mikes
Ohio Army National Guard

and attached a copy of the breakdown of the legislation from the OFCC website
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet