Coleman for Gov.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

Coleman for Gov.

Post by Willy P »

Don't shoot me. I just wanted your attention! Can anyone remember when he ran for council or mayor and it was brought to our attention he had a RECORD. It was a juvenile record and I think it was expunged after election. Maybe his dark heart is what causes him to want to see the worst in gun toters. I'd like to bring that up to him some time.
Scott

Re: Coleman for Gov.

Post by Scott »

Willy P wrote: Maybe his dark heart is what causes him to want to see the worst in gun toters.
That's the way it is with most liberals--as far as guns go, and many will actually admit it--they don't trust themselves; so they end up generalizing to the rest of the population.

Remember: we're dealing with a feeling and not necessarily thinking creature here.
Blip!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Hardly worth starting a new thread, but worth a read.

Post by Petrovich »

POLL ON GOVERNOR’S PERFORMANCE
Ohioans rate Taft harshly, but half don’t want him out
Monday, September 12, 2005
Darrel Rowland
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Dispatch poll
Monday, Sept. 12

Ohioans rate Taft harshly, but half don’t want him out
Sunday, Sept. 11

Central Ohioans pretty much agree that Bob Taft is a rotten governor, but they are sharply divided over whether he should resign.

Taft’s approval rating is 26 percent in a new poll for The Dispatch by Saperstein Associates, of Columbus. Even among his fellow Republicans he wins the favor of just 31 percent.

However, it’s a virtual dead heat on the question of whether Taft should step down because of his four criminal ethics convictions for failure to tell the public about dozens of gifts and favors. In the poll — which has a 5 percent margin of sampling error — 47 percent say Taft should quit, 46 percent say he shouldn’t.

Poll respondent John Reynolds, of the West Side, said the end of Taft’s term can’t come soon enough.

"I’m a Republican — not a hard-liner. I don’t think he’s been a good governor, and I think he’s let down the Republican Party," said the 59-year-old small-business owner. "I don’t think he’s done a good job."

But Reynolds doesn’t think Taft should resign over undisclosed golf outings or what he did or did not know about hundreds of millions of dollars in questionable investments at the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.

Survey participant Dionne Dillard, of Columbus, thinks otherwise. She said Taft should either resign or be impeached because of the multiple ethics violations that made him the first sitting Ohio governor to be convicted of a crime.

The 22-year-old security guard concedes Taft has done some good things in office, such as pushing for new schools. But she doesn’t agree with those who downplay Taft’s convictions as a minor matter, saying "he knows the rules."

"I don’t feel he should get any special treatment because of who he is," Dillard said.

Only 38 percent agreed with Dillard that Taft should be impeached; 56 percent opposed such a move by the legislature.

No directly comparable data exist to put the findings from the new poll of central Ohioans into context.

However, in a September 2000 Dispatch Poll, Taft’s statewide approval rating was 70 percent. In August 2001, a Buckeye State Poll for The Dispatch mirrored that finding, with 71 percent giving a thumbs up to Taft, including 64 percent of Democrats.

Fifteen months later, Taft won a second term with 58 percent of the vote, 20 percent more than his Democratic opponent.

But by last October, Taft’s statewide approval rating had dipped to 39 percent in a Dispatch poll.

The relatively dim view of Taft by GOP respondents shows the recent scandals "transcend party politics," said Martin D. Saperstein, president of the company that conducted the poll.

"So I think they’re saying in central Ohio it’s hard to support a governor who supports or allows those things to happen," Saperstein said. "For many people, being convicted is worthy of a loss of approval," if not loss of public office.

The telephone survey of 400 adults with Columbus phone exchanges was conducted Aug. 30 through Sept. 3. The results were weighted slightly to reflect central Ohio demographics. The response rate of those contacted was about 31 percent.

Respondents were split in trying to sort out the gravity of Taft’s woes along with the Workers’ Compensation scandals.

When asked whether such problems are no worse than what usually goes on in state government, each possible answer, ranging from "strongly agree" to "strongly disagree," got support from more than 20 percent.

Majorities did coalesce around the belief that the problems are due primarily to "a few bad apples" rather than systematic corruption in state government, and that the difficulties are not mainly a result of one-party rule by Ohio Republicans.

Bill Lauber, 73, a retired Ohio Bell telephone-cable slicer, said Taft’s criminal convictions are being overblown because other officeholders have done as much or worse.

"I think we’d have to put him along with most of the politicians and say what he did wasn’t that bad and it’s worth a slap on the wrist," the Gahanna resident said. "All of them have done something minor like that."

Photographer Kevin Dye, 52, of Columbus, said, "I’m not in favor of ousting him for golf outings, but the whole way the government of Ohio has handled this is just insanity.

"I think it’s disgusting. It’s horrible. Eventually, the state is going to have to replace that money. I don’t think you could say, ‘I didn’t know. Nobody told me.’ Somebody must have known."

Retired nurse Dolores Wise, 87, of Columbus, called Taft "a very good man" and added, "I don’t think he has failed as governor, but he had made mistakes."

She said Taft should not resign because of his ethics violations.

But Wise expressed concern that the recent revelations of corruption in state government are only the tip of the iceberg.

Dispatch reporters Catherine Candisky, Alan Johnson and Mark Niquette contributed to this story.

drowland@dispatch.com
Buckshot

Trafficant For Governor

Post by Buckshot »

Come on folks.

Lets spring James Trafficant from prison and install him for governor.

Built in slogan there "Lets get a good, honest crook for Governor!"

;^)

Buckshot
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Trafficant For Governor

Post by Petrovich »

Buckshot wrote:Come on folks.

Lets spring James Trafficant from prison and install him for governor.

Built in slogan there "Lets get a good, honest crook for Governor!"

;^)

Buckshot
I forget, is he a dem or Republican?
Linda

Post by Linda »

Much to my surprise, Mike Coleman was a guest speaker at the Ohio Assoc. of Realtors Convention yesterday. I just about gagged when they introduced him. :x My fellow Realtor from my office was with me. She is a Dem, but I still love her for her one fault in life! Anyhow, when they introduced him, I told her "I will not clap for that man"! Thank goodness there wasn't a standing ovation when he was done yapping, because my butt would have still been sitting down. When he was talking about the tragedy in New Orleans, all I wanted to do was yell...,"yeah their disarming those people just like you're doing to the citizens of Columbus"! :evil: I'm sure the people sitting around me noticed that I was not clapping for this guy, but the rest of Ohio needs to realize what he's doing to our fine city!

By the way Collin, were you there???? I forgot to email you to see if you were going!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
ampleworks

Post by ampleworks »

My opinion on Taft is that I hate him, flat out hate him. Should we waste more tax dollars on trying to impeach him, just shadowing more doubt on the GOP rather than just let him ride it out with a slap on the wrist.

Here we have had a President who was doing unspeakable things in office and he got away with it, might as well let a Governor get away with some shady golf games.

Even though with the rediculous CCW law we have, we've still got it and Taft signed it. We could have been stuck with a lot worse candidate - Michael Coleman. We *could* be sitting in the same situation as Illinois right now if you think about it.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Thank you Mrs. Mike Coleman!!! :D Frankie decided to tie a BIG one on overnight, hit a parked truck, and got busted for 2 counts of DUI, and a few other misc. charges! :? She blew a whooping .27!!!!!! :shock: The reporters are already saying this could put Coleman's run for Gov. in jeopardy! Mike did not look like a happy camper when he went to pick her up! :roll:

THANK YOU FRANKIE!!!!! :idea:
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Linda wrote:Thank you Mrs. Mike Coleman!!! :D Frankie decided to tie a BIG one on overnight, hit a parked truck, and got busted for 2 counts of DUI, and a few other misc. charges! :? She blew a whooping .27!!!!!! :shock: The reporters are already saying this could put Coleman's run for Gov. in jeopardy! Mike did not look like a happy camper when he went to pick her up! :roll:

THANK YOU FRANKIE!!!!! :idea:
Well, you know...it's like this. When a drunk gets behind the wheel he/she endangers everyone else on the road. It is extremely irresponsible. I feel no sympathy for ms coleman whatsoever. I understand she's had some personal problems and that is unfortunate; but endangering everyone else's lives on the road is unacceptable and I don't care how bad your personal problems are.
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Post by Ursus americanus »

I'm writing in Bill Cunningham......
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

Linda,
Was there an article on this somewhere? I haven't heard about this yet. Let me know so I can send out Emails on this.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

Never mind, I found it. Just had to look around a little more.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

"I don’t feel he should get any special treatment because of who he is,"

Exactly, which is why he won't be impeached. He did some crummy, dumb, improper things, which exposed him as a crummy, dumb, improper person. We don't impeach people for that; we just don't re-elect them.

As far as "hating" Taft, I am always bothered when something as important as representative government gets reduced to "who do I like?". I think Mr. Clinton is a cheap, smutty person with cheap, smutty habits. I did not vote for his re-election and I am pleased that he is no longer in office, but I do not "hate" him. Those mouth-breathers and merlot sippers who "hate" President Bush do no favors for themselves, their party, or their country.

As a rule I tend not to go along with those who march to "Erase Hate" because I think they want to define "hate" to mean disagreement with their social policies. However, I would agree that it is a good thing to erase hate from our political discussions.

In closing I am pleased to note that Mayor Coleman did not get the clap from a member of his audience...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

tommcnaughton wrote: I did not vote for his re-election and I am pleased that he is no longer in office, but I do not "hate" him. ...
Am I to infer you voted for him the first time? :shock:

Gasp....horror of horrors!!

I knew he was phonier than a three dollar bill when he stood in front of America and promised health cards for everyone. That was his first lie and he never stopped.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I wonder what has killed more folks in Columbus, "assault" weapons or drunk drivers? !!!!!