NFA Trust

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mindbender14

Re: NFA Trust

Post by Mindbender14 »

FormerNavy wrote:I am finalizing my NFA Trust and have a few questions I'm hoping some experienced folks can help with...

1) How does one prove funding of the trust? Is a statement in the trust that $10 has been conveyed/tranferred/assigned to the trust sufficient? Do I need the funding listed on my Schedule A or is that only for NFA items?

2) When filing a Form 1/Form 4 using the trust, do I need to also include a Certification of Compliance (ATF Form 5330.20)? I've read things stating the ATF was now requiring this for trusts as well, but those postings are several years old.

3) Anyone have any recommendations where I can get the stripped lower engraved to ATF specifications?

4) Is it true that anyone with access to the NFA items needs to be a trustee?
I'm in the middle of researching myself and can only answer question 4. The answer is yes. I believe that's the major benefit of setting up the trust and why I'm planning on doing it no matter if any rule changes pass. If the nfa item isn't under your control/sole access then it has to be under the control of another "responsible" person.

Of course if it was in a safe where other people didn't have the key then you'd be fine because technically they don't have access.
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

FormerNavy wrote:I am finalizing my NFA Trust and have a few questions I'm hoping some experienced folks can help with...

1) How does one prove funding of the trust? Is a statement in the trust that $10 has been conveyed/tranferred/assigned to the trust sufficient? Do I need the funding listed on my Schedule A or is that only for NFA items?

2) When filing a Form 1/Form 4 using the trust, do I need to also include a Certification of Compliance (ATF Form 5330.20)? I've read things stating the ATF was now requiring this for trusts as well, but those postings are several years old.

3) Anyone have any recommendations where I can get the stripped lower engraved to ATF specifications?

4) Is it true that anyone with access to the NFA items needs to be a trustee?

Not sure on 1, i have seen the parts of the trusts that come through here have a funding part for a dollar etc. Personally I use an LLC for all of mine, cheaper to setup :)

We do not have to send in the Certificate when its a trust or LLC. The online system does not need it, however individuals must have it.

We can engrave for $40

Item 4, well basically anyone who has possession of it must be a trustee (or officer when its a corporation, or authorized employee etc). Possession is the word they like to use.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Does anyone have updates on their personal experience or recommendations for future consideration?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

bignflnut wrote:Does anyone have updates on their personal experience or recommendations for future consideration?

I now have 3 items in my trust, and am quite pleased with it.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/ar-15-p ... %EF%BB%BF/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting podcast where the trust is discussed.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Are there advantages to going with a Trust over going the direct route and obtaining CLEO sign off? Would it help with probate issues?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Klingon00 wrote:Are there advantages to going with a Trust over going the direct route and obtaining CLEO sign off? Would it help with probate issues?
It can. A well written trust will function as an estate planning tool while allowing you to avoid the hassle of the CLEO signoff. A poorly written, but passable trust will allow you to avoid the hassle of the CLEO signoff only.

The other advantage is that any trustee may have exclusive physical possession of the trust assets without you having to be around. Most commonly a husband and wife will both be trustees so that way there is never any question about possession or even constructive possession for what is in the house. I've also added my retired father as a trustee so if he wants to go to the range one day while I'm at work and take some toys he can.

Most of the time I keep all of my firearms in my NFA trust for inheritance purposes although sometimes I take all my NFA items out of the trust.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

From my experience, do NOT use KeyBank to fund your trust. They closed my account without warning, claiming that a trust cannot own firearms, guns are bad, blah blah blah.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer