Stark County Sheriff's Office, Hope Steffey & Others...

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Stark County Sheriff's Office, Hope Steffey & Others...

Post by High Power »

There have been other threads on this subject. Rather than posting on each thread, I thought I would start another. I usually don't take everything that Wikipedia says as face value but thought I would pass this information along anyway. Some of you may remember the case of Hope Steffey in Stark County: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... earch&aq=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The first dozen videos are about that case.
Teenage Strip Search incident
A lawsuit was filed alleging that in May 2007, three teenage girls aged 14, 15 and 16 who were ordered by court to take a 15 minute cautionary tour of county jail were forced to participate in a strip search by guards including squatting and lifting their breasts while naked and experienced physical assault as well as verbal sexual harassment from the two male and one female guards.

Hope Steffey incident
A local woman, Hope Steffey, is suing the Sheriff's Office, claiming that male and female deputies used excessive force and assaulted her when they stripped her naked after she was arrested. Television station WKYC obtained video of the incident. Around November 2008, Hope Steffey initiated civil action against the Sheriff's Office, this action was settled in July 2009 with the settlement details confidential but reported to be favourable to the plaintiff. Additional actions against related civilian contractors remain ongoing.

Former Attorney General Marc Dann initiated criminal action in February 2008 before later resigning for unrelated reasons, the Grand Jury subsequently found "no probable cause of criminal wrongdoing" by the county deputies.

Valentina Dyshko incident
Valentina Dyshko, a Ukrainian woman with limited English capability filed suit allegeding that she was the victim of forcible and unjustified strip search by male officers at the Stark County Jail. This case was reportedly settled by the Stark County Sheriff in 2008.

Further victims and allegations
During the Steffey case, it was discovered that 128 women had experienced strip search, naked isolation or related treatment between 1999 and 2007. Privacy concerns prevented the identification of these women which led Steffey's lawyers to use the billboard to encourage other women to come forward. Following the bill board and media reporting on the incident, five women including Valentina Dyshko came forward to report similar experiences with Stark County Sheriff's personnel including "Elizabeth" (a pseudonym) who herself was employed in a medium security jail reported being accused of suicidal behaviour and strip searched after being arrested for defending herself against inappropriate touching by a sheriff deputy during a traffic stop following a lane change without indicating, the sheriff accused her of failing a breath test when her asthma prevented her from blowing sufficiently strongly during the breath test.
Full story at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_Coun ... y_incident" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What others are saying about the Hope Steffey case:
The amount of the settlement, however, is undisclosed, a rather strange thing given that it would appear that the cost of the police abuse of Hope Steffey (which had earlier been spelled "Steffi" based on news reports, but is different in this report) will be born by the taxpayers. Don't they have a right to know just how much their police have cost them? Since when does government impropriety get to be swept under the rug so that the citizens, for whom the cops exists, are left to wonder?
Full story at: http://blog.simplejustice.us/2009/07/16 ... ounty.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of Stark County's finest were upset that the media reported their names and were stressed over the public attention for their perverted act:
A group of Stark County sheriff’s deputies and corrections officers agreed Monday to drop their lawsuit against a Cleveland television station over its reports on the Hope Steffey case.

The parties had discussed a possible settlement of between $10,000 and $30,000, according to a letter filed with the court earlier this month, but attorneys for both sides avoided the word “settlement” Monday.
Full story at: http://www.cantonrep.com/news/crime/x16 ... YC-dropped" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
kentman

Re: Stark County Sheriff's Office, Hope Steffey & Others...

Post by kentman »

Nevermind... I'll just self-moderate this one.
theqbn

Post by theqbn »

Deputies Gone Wild?
[ no longer active ]
John6675

Post by John6675 »

theqbn wrote:Deputies Gone Wild?
Old post, but still relevant with the problems the country is having with police abuse across our nation. About 8 years ago I contacted all my Reps about this case, and wanted something done about it then...and now police abuse under the "color of law" has grown. Not just with the cops (gone wild) that are abusing people, but by everyone else that is helping to cover up the abuses...and this Steffey case had a LOT of people helping to cover it up, even including the media!
Mike McDonald, the head jailer, ran for sheriff and was elected, but apparently karma caught up to him and he passed away before he could assume office. I am not sure people realize just how lucky they were that he never made it to office. Although I don't see how he could have been much worse than Tim Swanson, the sheriff that retired.

After filing FOIA requests for this incident, it has really opened my eyes to reality! Investigate the justice system and you find it's all smoke & mirrors.

Chicago recently had a cop that shot at a kid 16 times...most of them while he was laying on the ground...I thought about filing FOIA requests and try sorting out just what was going on, but I don't know if I could recover from something that sicking.

Ok, done rambling....
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

If you're in Ohio and want to advocate where it can make a difference, you can probably find something to do around here

We're not into cop bashing, but Public Information requests are often requested and if you like doing that sort of thing
Hang out in the 9.68 and CPZ sub forums
Make friends with MWSY, and company

It's pretty cool,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
John6675

Post by John6675 »

Chuck wrote: We're not into cop bashing,
Neither am I if I can help it, I have relation & friends that I have worked with for years that are LEO's, but it's the ones in the news abusing their authority that makes their jobs harder, and puts them more at risk. It's a hard enough job out there without public opinion running high against them, and letting the bad ones get by with abuse only makes it worse.

The FOIA laws they brag about are full of loopholes, you can't get anything given to a grand jury...so that's why they take it to them instead of another route. A DA can refuse a FOIA request on a active case. And the Feds can redact ANYTHING in a report, and use a BS excuse to cover for it...(I know)...even as I appealed & sent them evidence that proved them wrong.

If I find anything local I usually try to get the facts behind the news...because you can't trust the media either.... :(