What is the status with reciprocity?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

jgarvas wrote:The probelm here is that TX isn't conducting a background check at all in the process of granting reciprocity. To grant Ohioans reciprocity means that the minute you cross their border with an Ohio CHL you're as legal as if you had a TX license or permit.

I don't recall how PA is getting around it. My guess is that they're conducting a federal background check of some sort. Either NICS or when they "run" you through their law enforcement system.
Brain just clicked on.... PA isn't recognizing the OH CHL. All they do is accept it (and $20) to give us a PA license. I'm guessing that PA takes the info we send in and runs an NICS check. In short, PA is accepting our education and OH-level background, plus whatever they feel like doing, in order to issue a PA license. TX will accept that, I guess, because the final checks match their needs. I'm guessing that TX ignored the "education" requirement, which seems odd, but an OH CHL would be in excess of PA's requirements anyway.

We're asking TX to recognize the OH CHL, which means that all the checking has to be done on our end....
In Ohio you're run through the Ohio BCI unless you've been in the state for less than five years. Since the Ohio BCI isn't tapping the federal government for a background check, TX can't reciprocate unless they have a way around that. (This is the situation as I understand it).
That's pretty much the way I got it.
Now, if the Ohio process was modified to either a) include a NICS check or b) rely solely on a NICS Check (If you can buy one you can carry one), then I believe TX would be a sure bet.
Rather than issuing non-resident licenses to all comers (like FL), TX uses the same sort of rule for non-residents as PA, but backwards - "if your state has a CHL, we won't give you one; good luck on reciprocity."

I understand that the prior AG (or whatever title applies) in TX was not interested (or downright against) reciprocity, but the new one will talk about it.
I don't know if that is coming or not, but I can assure you that we're in discussions with Rep. Aslanides.
Tell him I said to get it moving or I'm siccing my Jack Russell Terrier on him.... :twisted: :lol:

The AG might be able to do this without legislation if TX could be talked into just issuing non-resident CHL's for us and running their own NICS check. We don't really need reciprocity for OH CHL's but could choose to honor TX without any problems, IMHO.
The real question in my mind is how quickly will this legislation move through the House and Senate, and what role Taft will play in this legislation moving forward or getting stuck in a veto threat.
My guess is that Taft would veto anything that lands on his desk that doesn't ban guns, but who knows. He may feel safer to go with us rather than against us if he wants that Senate job, and I think a year of general peace & quiet in terms of problems with the law - even with the poison pills - might do that. Meantime, Toby & friends have been so completely discredited by now that supporting them (Columbus City Council excepted) may not be too sharp. (Would have been nice if he'd been up for election last year.)

The only downside here is that we may be asking for too much at one time. The Columbus mess has to be killed before it multiplies, and we still have to worry about vehicular carry and the worst of the CPZ stuff, including the utterly silly restaurant carry problem. Getting all that at one time may be a problem, and Columbus may have to take priority. Getting Taft to sign off on that in Toby's face may be difficult. And, we still need the others....
In the next day or so, we'll have a new letter on our website so that folks can contact their representatives about this issue.
I'll be looking for that :D .

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
SFC Stu

Reciprocity with Missouri

Post by SFC Stu »

Someone wrote that they hoped the next state would be Missouri. Missouri and Ohio have had reciprocity for some time. SFC Stu
SFC Stu
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

SMMAssociates wrote:PA isn't recognizing the OH CHL. All they do is accept it (and $20) to give us a PA license. I'm guessing that PA takes the info we send in and runs an NICS check. In short, PA is accepting our education and OH-level background, plus whatever they feel like doing, in order to issue a PA license.
I would suspect that it's Ohio that can't recognize the PA law. The PA license is available without any class time or a fingerprint background check. It's as easy as New Hampshire. You just mail in the application. Heck, I used to have one until it expired.

There's no way PA can qualify for reciprocity with Ohio.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.