what would you like to see changed in current ohio ccw laws.

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I want to go to public restrooms without an ethical dilemma.

I want to stay concealed in a car.

I want to carry at the kids' gymnastics lessons at the Y (a daycare)

I want to go to Pizza Hut concealed.

I want to go to church concealed.

I want to go to shopping centers concealed.

Linda
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

I want to carry openly in public restrooms without an ethical dilemma.

I want to carry openly in a car.

I want to carry openly at the G-kids' gymnastics lessons at the Y.

I want to carry openly at Pizza Hut.

I want to go to church concealed (fair enough...).

I want to carry openly at shopping centers.

I want the law to specify that open carry is the law of this state, guaranteed by our state constitution.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Get rid of Felony Touching in vehicle. Change it to a Fourth degree misdemeaner, but only if it happens in the presance of a LEO.
mike1972

Post by mike1972 »

It is too bad that politicians do not have the same ability to reason, and logic as the members of this forum...

Great posts by all :)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Get rid of Felony Touching in vehicle
Why would I want to touch a Felon? Especially in my car?

Unless, of course, the Felon was trying to carjack my vehicle, then I'd reach out and "touch" someone. :P
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Javelin Man wrote:
Get rid of Felony Touching in vehicle
Why would I want to touch a Felon? Especially in my car?

Unless, of course, the Felon was trying to carjack my vehicle, then I'd reach out and "touch" someone. :P
You're willing to share the lead you bought with your hard-earned cash? That's so touching! :)
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

My list.

No more plain sight required
No more duty to inform

Training while not a bad thing, is not the business of the government. We don't have mandatory training to operate a motor vehicle for gawds sake. Nor do we have it to have children. Demonstrated proficiency like you do to get a DL would be fine with me.

Private property except the parking lots I agree is private property, however if the lot is posted the way it is now not even the UPS, USPS, or FEDEX truck that has guns in packages can enter or park there correct ??......and what happens when a USPS person carrying packages enters a building that is posted, with a gun in a package for another delivery? (and before you run off half cocked on that idea, look up the laws....as a C&R ffl I can ship rifles usps, legally, and there are ones that will fit in a rather small package if broken down)There is no exclusion for common carriers that I have ever seen in the law. So who is breaking it ?? the FEDEX, UPS, and USPS employee ?

I do feel we need some legal affirmation that persons and entities that DO post private property are liable for damges incurred from the loss of the right to defend.

I feel the class D exclusion should go away..it is stupid......the arguement for it is the same as the anti-s use against gun ownership period...if you can't carry and not get drunk you have a problem and should not have a CHL.

Bill
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

willbird wrote:We don't have mandatory training to operate a motor vehicle for gawds sake.
Actually we do. I don't remember exactly... is it 8 hours behind the wheel and 8 in a classroom? My Dad taught me to drive looooong before I was 16, and those classes were a complete bore except for the circa 1950's "Blood Runs Red On The Highway" movies.

Edit to add: I'm 26, so not exactly sure how it's handled now.
willbird wrote:Nor do we have it [training] to have children.
Now that's a class I'll sign up for.
Last edited by MeanStreaker on Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Willbird:

My daughter's just turned 20. Four years ago we most certainly did get involved in mandatory training for her to get her Driver's License, including something like 40 hours of driving with a parent in the car, some of which had to be at night.

The parental thing is a signature where you swear that you did it - really "honor system", but the class and field time that we had to pay for (more than my CHL class) was rather more tightly regulated. Certified instructors signing off on the course, etc.

While it probably would be impossible to determine if the parent really helped, kids showing up for testing without basic driving skills would point out a bad training situation pretty easily.

(Due to procrastination issues on the kid's part, she took her exam on the very last day of her Temporary Permit's validity. She passed, dropped me back at home, went to school, and we've barely seen her since.)

Lest this sound like a diatribe against training, it's not my intention. In times past, Grandpa or Dad saw to it that Junior didn't touch the family blunderbuss without extreme supervision until he'd pretty well satisfied everybody that he could properly handle it. That doesn't happen anymore in many families. In addition to that (or instead of that), many men learned to shoot in the Military.

Just doesn't happen anymore.... I like the idea of having to show proficiency, and having local "facilities" for training at reasonable cost. Pretty much the system we have now. What I don't want to see is the anti's defining the training. IMHO, the CHL training requirement should be locked to any of the following: OPOTA, the Military, or the NRA. (Our choice as to which training source we use.)

Back to topic:

Vehicular Carry in line with other states. (IOW, drop all restrictions.)

Castle Doctrine - the current "duty to retreat" is a little too "Russian Roulette" if you actually shoot. I can understand not being the agressor, but there's too much chance to get prosecuted (or sued in Civil Court) the way the law is set up now.

Restrictions on "brandishing" minimized - read the "CHL Indicted" thread. I contend that the NRA's famous "mere presence of a firearm" view is accurate, but sometimes you have to show the BG you've got one. That can get you into deep stuff the way things are going now.

Class D restriction gone - blissninny thinking put it there. (.08 BAC rules should, however, apply, as they do to a motor vehicle.)

CPZ's required to provide armed security in the parking lot, armed guards and detectors at the door, and lockers.

NO CPZ posting for parking lots.

NO CPZ posting for any building that I paid for, including schools and day care centers. (More blissninny nonsense.)

(Prisons, mental institutions, and courthouses can provide the necessary security and lockers.)

When I went to Columbiana County to pick up my CHL, I had a 1911 in the trunk. Figured I would be able to carry it legally when I left. As I was parking a kid walked up to me - pretty obviously a Jail trustee. The Jail is "upstairs". He asked me "Concealed Carry?".... What would my recourse have been if that gun was missing when I came back out? (Note that the SO's Office is downstairs from the Jail, and should have been secured from it, not "a prison". Worst case, lockers.... More blissninny nonsense, although I'd accept lockers at a PD or SO.

Probably a few more things if I stop to think about them.... I have no problem with "notification" (even when not carrying) - it minimizes nasty surprises, although, by now, LEO's should be used to people legally carrying....

To some degree, I'm spoiled.... I had a Commission from 1967 through about 1985. There were no restrictions for most of that period. Bars weren't a problem ("authorized" if you didn't get drunk or screw up), and schools were added quite some time later. We had to go through OPOTA to get legal, but blood didn't run in the streets. Yeah - it was a bit more training, but.... Under "Affirmative Defense", thereafter until April 2004 with the same restrictions. Blissninnies wanted to see to it that the rules were both onerous and dangerous. They appear to have succeeded....

Jim's bill will solve about 2/3 of this. I just hope the legislature will override Taft's almost inevitable veto.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

SMMAssociates wrote:What I don't want to see is the anti's defining the training. IMHO, the CHL training requirement should be locked to any of the following: OPOTA, the Military, or the NRA. (Our choice as to which training source we use.)
Can you imagine what might have happened had the former AG, anti-gun zealot Lee Fisher, been in charge of the training requirements...? The whole point of the "shall issue" law is that small-minded political considerations ought not to interfere with law abiding citizens and our right to defend ourselves.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Well the training for people under 18 to drive, I can understand that, good plan, but if you never drove a car until you were 18 you would not have to take a class as far as I know.

I agree folks ought to learn about tools before using them, but I don't approve of Govt.org playing daddy and deciding when a person is "qualified". The requirements for a class are pretty wide open, and I can LIVE with what we have....it even leaves leeway for creative class givers to offer some real enhanced training when you go back to get re-certified.

The cost of the class for two adults, and the cost of the CHL was not trifling for my Wife and I, I took the class from a friend I hadnt met before the clall, and it only cost me $150.00 for both of us...but money was wight then, and it would have been easy to not prompt my wife to take it as well.....the cost offered her a way out that I didnt let her take.

I have heard of people getting certified by NRA and giving the class for only the $8.00 cost of the books from NRA...one guy did that for members of his church...I'm not saying for a minute that the class providers don't earn their money...but when you add it up for two adults it could be a factor that would prevent people from being able to legally defend themselves........people that in fact may have more skills and as much knowledge already as the class instructer..........under current law even the darn instructer must take a class from ANOTHER instructer every 4 years........

Bill
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tom:

That's why I specifically indicated just those three "agencies" - OPOTA, the Military, and the NRA....

As it goes now (and I guess that's really a never-to-change situation), the AG could flip us to HCI for testing with the stroke of a pen.

(Well, not really, but your point....)

Willbird:

I didn't think about the "don't drive until you're over 18" thing, but that's probably impossible :D for boys. My daughter was afraid to take the test until my mom gave her a car. No choice then....

I agree that it's kind of expensive. "Volunteer" instructors might be of value in some areas. It cost me about $160 total - course, ammunition, and the $45 I gave Columbiana County. (I paid the about $40 for OPOTA in 1967 - add another $5 worth of ammunition.) I think the $100 for the class was well spent. I'd like the wife to do it too, but so far she won't. The kid's under 21.... (But a College student.... AARGH!)

Should we have to attend classes? IMHO, yes.... The current state of the law is such that you really must spend some book time on it. To do otherwise is to endanger yourself in the event of legal or civil action.

However, we need to be very specific about the course. The current setup seems to be fine. We just have to be sure that a Lee Fisher can't screw it up.

(Apologies to guys who've seen this one before, and who remember it differently - I'm old....)

Three guys are on an airplane, and there are only two parachutes. Two lawyers and a blue-collar worker. They decide that the plane is about to go down, and they would administer an intelligence test of sorts to see who gets the chutes. First lawyer is asked to name the capitol of the country the late Pope was from. He gets that right. Second lawyer is asked "approximately how many Catholics live in that city?" He gets that right. The blue collar guy is then asked "Name them...."

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

SMMAssociates wrote: Three guys are on an airplane, and there are only two parachutes. Two lawyers and a blue-collar worker. They decide that the plane is about to go down, and they would administer an intelligence test of sorts to see who gets the chutes. First lawyer is asked to name the capitol of the country the late Pope was from. He gets that right. Second lawyer is asked "approximately how many Catholics live in that city?" He gets that right. The blue collar guy is then asked "Name them...."
The way I heard it the passengers were jumping off with their chutes. When the line got down to the last two men -- a lawyer and a minister -- the lawyer turned to the minister with a quavering voice and asked:"Can you pray?"

The minister replied, "Well, of course, my son".

Then the lawyer said in a firm voice,"Good, you pray. There's only one chute left"... 8)
TunnelRat

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tom:

Great ending....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם