Strickland taps Lee Fisher for Lt. Gov Post

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Strickland taps Lee Fisher for Lt. Gov Post

Post by jgarvas »

Congressman Ted Strickland taps Lee Fisher for Lt. Gov. (Ohioccw.org)

Earlier today Congressman Ted Strickland's campaign announced that Lee Fisher will join the ticket.

Lee Fisher spent a year in the Ohio House of Representatives in the 1980's and eight years in the Ohio Senate through 1990. He was "narrowly elected" Attorney General and served from 1991 through 1995. In 1994 he lost his seat as AG to Betty Montgomery, who has recently announced her plans to seek the seat again. In 1998 Fisher ran for Governor and lost to now term-limited Bob Taft. (source: wikipedia)

Until today, Strickland's campaign was perceived as a pro-gun Democrat ticket. Lee Fisher is anything but favorable to gun owners, which is unfortunate for Democrat voters in Ohio who own firearms.

Lee Fisher was a member of the Handgun Control Inc. Board of Directors

(see the link above for full story and quotes from 1994)
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Lee Fisher received an F- rating, the very lowest possible rating from the NRA.

So much for Strickland being a pro-gun Democrat. Or perhaps he is simply as pro-gun as a Democrat is able to be -- meaning: not very...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

So much for Strickland. I may have considered voting for him in the past.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Strickland gets an A rating from the NRA. Lee Fisher is a F-.

However, Strickland is at the top of the ticket, and I intend to register as a Dem, and vote for him in the primary.

I'll have to wait and see who wins the REP nomination to cast my pro-2A vote in the election.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

JU-87 wrote:Strickland gets an A rating from the NRA. Lee Fisher is a F-.

However, Strickland is at the top of the ticket, and I intend to register as a Dem, and vote for him in the primary.
The anti's have done well by themselves. They have a rabid anti-gunner on both sides of their primary race -- Fingerhut for gov on one side, and Lee Fisher as running mate on the other. Looks like a win-win situation for them.

I concur with your decision to support Strickland over Fingerhut. I might register as a Dem and do the same thing. The Pubby primary is now pretty much between two gun supporters, so it doesn't matter to me which one wins there.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

If Strickland sees the need to balance his moderate pro-gun position by selecting the most anti-gun demogogue in the history of Ohio I think his pro-gun views are not as solid as I thought they were. Perhaps his pro-gun stands merely reflect the district in which he has had to get elected and not his opinion.

Tom, The R primary still has Betty M. running for AG, we need your vote against her and for Grendell more than your vote for Strickland. Whoever runs against Blackwell for Governor is going to lose anyway.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

GWC wrote:Tom, The R primary still has Betty M. running for AG, we need your vote against her and for Grendell more than your vote for Strickland. Whoever runs against Blackwell for Governor is going to lose anyway.
Sorry, you guys still haven't made your case for Grendel. I've never heard of him apart from posts on this site. He may be a good guy, but I have no idea what his chances might be against a Party-supported, well-financed opponent who has instant name recognition.
TunnelRat

GWC

Post by GWC »

Then do some research. He was one of the first to push for concealed carry reform, so was his wife.
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

I was going to vote for Strickland, no matter what, but I didn't envision LEE FISHER as his running mate.

Now I suppose I'll vote Libertarian.

I just wanted to punish the OH Republican Party at all costs. It's the principle of it. Voinovich and Taft: so many wasted years.

FISHER, VOINOVICH, TAFT. All same-same to me.

I don't like playing political games. I refuse to play them.

I'll vote Libertarian or any other third party candidate.

I REFUSE TO PLAY THEIR GAME.

Karl
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
Firebrand 1971

Grendel

Post by Firebrand 1971 »

tommcnaughton wrote:
GWC wrote:Tom, The R primary still has Betty M. running for AG, we need your vote against her and for Grendell more than your vote for Strickland. Whoever runs against Blackwell for Governor is going to lose anyway.
Sorry, you guys still haven't made your case for Grendel. I've never heard of him apart from posts on this site. He may be a good guy, but I have no idea what his chances might be against a Party-supported, well-financed opponent who has instant name recognition.
TM, don't write off Grendell just yet. Do some digging and you will see he is a good choice for AG.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Sorry, if I have to "do some research" -- GWC, or "do some digging" -- Firebrand 1971, then you have proven my case for me.

Betty Montgomery has name recognition, good funding, and the backing of the state party and other major candidates. It doesn't matter that Grendel might be a good guy -- he's a no name candidate.

Could he possibly win? Sure, lots of things are possible.

What are the chances that he'll win? About the same as a snowball in a warm oven...
TunnelRat

GWC

Post by GWC »

I've heard that one before. Somehow he keeps winning. Only time will tell.

Montgomery's name recognition includes a lot of baggage. She has strong ties with Taft, who isn't on the ballot. His stink rubs off on her, and to some extent onto Petro. Lots of republicans think its time for a change.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I'm going to call Ted Strickland's office(614-857-0700) and tell them that I'm NOT PLEASED with his choice of F- rated Lee Fisher! If they want my vote in November, Fisher must drop out. :twisted:

I encourage those who will, to call also.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
ballistic

Strickland taps Lee Fisher for Lt. Gov. Post

Post by ballistic »

You do not want Lee Fisher anywhere near the Statehouse either in a legislative or an executive capacity. Years ago when Fisher was in the legislature he made it clear he would fight against legalized CCW tooth and nail. I see nothing that indicates he has changed his position.

No true gun-rights advocate would ever dream of of choosing such a virulent, anti-gun rights running mate. Strickland's aspirations for the governorship, as well as his alleged pro-gun posture, must now come under the strictest scrutiny.

If you have entertained the thought of voting for Strickland and are a gun-rights supporter, forget all about it.