Next Governor: Blackwell, Montgomery or Petro

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mark

Next Governor: Blackwell, Montgomery or Petro

Post by Mark »

I like Blackwell, can't stand Montgomery and don't know enough about Petro. What's everyone's opinion about the Republicans running for governor? To put it another way, who should be getting my contribution?

And who is running on the Democrat side, and are they Constitution friendly?
collin

Post by collin »

From my point of view. I am a fan of Ken Blackwell, but also like Jim Petro. Betty Montgomery is no better than Toby Hoover. On the Democrat's side, Ted Strickland seems pretty good on the gun issue, while Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman makes Diane Feinstein look good. Personally, I support Ken Blackwell, as he is overall a better fit for me. Jim Petro is also very good, and I consider myself a fan. I will not vote for Betty Montgomery under any circumstance, nor would I vote for Michael Coleman under any circumstance. My personal order of preference:

Ken Blackwell, Jim Petro, Ted Strickland. My nightmares are Montgomery and Coleman, in no particular order.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Good question, I know as much as you unfortunately, so I'll be checking in often to see others and their replies.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Ken Blackwell is my number one pick. He is a staunch supporter of gun rights and he also is closer in line wiht my beliefs in other areas. I really like how he has always been ready and willing to buck the RINO's in the state government on issues like raising taxes and such.

I also like Jim Petro alot. If he were to defeat Mr. Blackwell in the primary I would support and help on his campaign.

I Betty Mongomery and Michael Coleman are no better than electing Toby Hoover or Sarah Brady. If you like Rino's in the vein of Taft, DeWine, and Voinovich then Montgomery is for you.

I know that Ted Strickland is strong on guns, which is good, but I don't know enough about the rest of his platform or beliefs.

My vote is Blackwell, but I would be happy with Petro too.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Reapportionment Board

Post by rickt »

Ted Strickland may be pro-gun, but we also have to remember that the Governor gets a seat on the Reapportionment Board which draws new legislative districts every ten years. Do we want a Democratic Governor on the Reapportionment Board doing everything he can to increase the number of Democrats in the legislature?

I keep reading on various forums about pro-gun Democrats, but they seem to be a rare species. I can't help thinking about the ratio of Republicans and Democrats voting for HB 12 vs against HB 12.

20 Senate Republicans voted for HB 12 vs 2 against
5 Senate Democrats voted for HB 12 vs 6 against

57 Republican Reps. voted for HB 12 vs 4 against
13 Democratic Reps. voted for HB 12 vs 23 against
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

My guy is Kenneth Blackwell. I would support Jim Petro, if he managed to beat Blackwell in the primaries.

Ted Strickland. I'm going to have to look into him, just in case the other two fall through.

Next in line is Mickey Mouse.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Josie115

Petro

Post by Josie115 »

I am in the Petro camp. He is pro-gun, he has supported and backed up HB12- he has demonstrated his support by doing more than just required as the AG. Blackwell bothers me for some reason. I know he says he's with us. Haven't seen him actually do anything except say he supports us. I know Jim shoots and I know friends of his have been shooting with him. I do know quite a few Petro advisors and always get the same answers everytime I grill them on it. Plus..I like his ideas if he gets the seat..close down half of state government..clean house and consolidate the state departments. There is so much dead wood in govt. You could lose half of the senior management and not waste a beat. (I'd be one of them :) )
Joey
Aaron

Re: Reapportionment Board

Post by Aaron »

rickt wrote:Ted Strickland may be pro-gun, but we also have to remember that the Governor gets a seat on the Reapportionment Board which draws new legislative districts every ten years. Do we want a Democratic Governor on the Reapportionment Board doing everything he can to increase the number of Democrats in the legislature?

I keep reading on various forums about pro-gun Democrats, but they seem to be a rare species. I can't help thinking about the ratio of Republicans and Democrats voting for HB 12 vs against HB 12.

20 Senate Republicans voted for HB 12 vs 2 against
5 Senate Democrats voted for HB 12 vs 6 against

57 Republican Reps. voted for HB 12 vs 4 against
13 Democratic Reps. voted for HB 12 vs 23 against
valid point
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
netphoenix

Re: Next Governor: Blackwell, Montgomery or Petro

Post by netphoenix »

Mark wrote:I like Blackwell, can't stand Montgomery and don't know enough about Petro. What's everyone's opinion about the Republicans running for governor?
I've never had the honor of hearing Blackwell speak. According to the boss (aka wife) who's heard him twice, she's totally impressed. Apparently he's very personable. He's got the credentials, takes the stands I agree with, and is good at getting his ideas across. He's got my (our) vote and will get our money.

-Chris
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

Blackwell!
Brian_Horton

Re: Petro

Post by Brian_Horton »

Josie115 wrote: I know Jim shoots and I know friends of his have been shooting with him.
I know that Collin has been shooting with Mr. Blackwell before. (Why didn't you invite me to go you punk?) I don't know if anyone else noticed, but when Mr. Blackwell spoke at the Party in the Park last year he was wearing a black, loose fitting, untucked, button down shirt. I wonder if that means anything? Hmm. FYI, Blackwell is a limited government man too and he hates taxes.

I have been recently told that Mr. Petro is a member of the Middletown Sportsmen's Club, where I am also a member. I think the next time I go out there I will see if I can check on that. I have also spoken with Phil Heimlich, Petor's running mate for Lt. Guv. He has been a Hamilton County Commissioner for many years and I have alot of respect for him and like him alot. (in my eyes he is certainly a plus for the Petro campaign) When we talked a few months ago I found out that he and his wife had recently taken their CHL training from the same instructor that I got mine from. He told me they were both planning on submitting their applications soon.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

Brian_Horton wrote:Ken Blackwell is my number one pick. He is a staunch supporter of gun rights and he also is closer in line wiht my beliefs in other areas. I really like how he has always been ready and willing to buck the RINO's in the state government on issues like raising taxes and such.

I also like Jim Petro alot. If he were to defeat Mr. Blackwell in the primary I would support and help on his campaign.

I Betty Mongomery and Michael Coleman are no better than electing Toby Hoover or Sarah Brady. If you like Rino's in the vein of Taft, DeWine, and Voinovich then Montgomery is for you.

I know that Ted Strickland is strong on guns, which is good, but I don't know enough about the rest of his platform or beliefs.

My vote is Blackwell, but I would be happy with Petro too.
I agree with you Brian. I met Mr. Blackwell last November just before the election and heard him speak. You will never guess what jacket he was wearing. It was an NRA Life Member jacket. That says something about his support for the second amendment.
Anyway I will be meeting with Mr. Blackwell tonight at a fundraiser we are having for him locally. I will let you know how that goes.
If he does not win the primary I will support Petro. Not sure if he is an NRA member.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
mscott

Post by mscott »

Where is "petrofergov" at??? I'm sure he'll be around any minute now and educate some of us that aren't real sure.
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

mscott wrote:Where is "petrofergov" at??? I'm sure he'll be around any minute now and educate some of us that aren't real sure.
I dunno, can a Russian even vote...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

The fundraiser I attended for Mr. Blackwell went very well the other night. He is an excellent speaker and very conservative. I don't think we can get a politician that is too conservative here in Ohio, but this guy is the real deal. He is very much pro-life, pro-traditional marriage and his record shows he is a fiscal conservative. He told me that he supports reform with the conceal carry laws, especially the media access loophole. He is also endorsed by the Gun Owners of America.
Mr. Blackwell has been labeled the "Anti-Taft", which pretty much sums it all up. You can check out kenblackwell.com for more info.
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER