Bill Would Allow Ohio Gun Safety Program Course in Schools

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Bill Would Allow Ohio Gun Safety Program Course in Schools

Post by Daniel »

HB 460 was recently introduced by Representative Ron Hood (R) in the Ohio House with twelve sponsors.

This bill would authorize all schools to be able to offer as an elective course a one-semester course in firearm safety and marksmanship designated as the Ohio gun safety program course.

This is similar to an Arizona bill passed last year.

Under the bill, the Ohio gun safety program course would include at least the following:
  • (1) Instruction on the rules of gun safety;

(2) Instruction on the basic operation of firearms;

(3) Instruction on the history of firearms and marksmanship;

(4) Instruction on the role of firearms in preserving peace and freedom;

(5) Instruction on the constitutional roots of the right to keep and bear arms;

(6) Instruction on the use of clay targets;

(7) Practice time at a shooting range;

(8) Demonstration of competence with a firearm.
Education is the key to decreasing firearms accidents. Teaching kids to safely handle firearms not only helps to demystify them, but also ensures that when a firearm is handled, it is handled in a safe manner.

We wholly support and endorse this legislation, and hope to see it passed into law.

http://www.ohioccw.org/article3555.html
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
rouger10

Re: Bill Would Allow Ohio Gun Safety Program Course in Schoo

Post by rouger10 »

This bill would be great. I fully support it.

What can we do to further this bill ???

Roger
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

It's a nice concept, however it doesn't provide any funding. Not many school districts will implement this due to lack of cash.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Actually Ohio does provide funding for the Eddie Eagle program. http://www.ohioccw.org/article2576.html I saw a report last year that showed this program to be very underadvertised and mostly unused. There is free money availble to the schools for materials and they are not using it. Would this Bill be any better?

I got ignored! Eddie Eagle is funded and Ohio schools are not taking advantage of it. What makes anyone feel that they will take advantage of another one that is not funded?
Last edited by Cruiser on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooligan

Post by Hooligan »

I agree that this is a great bill but lacks funding. Hopefully we'll eventually see something like this in our schools.
ArmorMax

Post by ArmorMax »

Ask this question. If passed, how many schools would actually take advantage of this? I remember my father/grandpa talking about how at one time the usa use to have a citizenship that was proficient with firearms because of outing to different places. Camp Perry comes to mind.
Why CCW?
New Orleans, Tacoma WA Mall, Toledo Riots, Toledo Riots take 2?... more to come
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Probably not many, especially at first. But, it is a start. And, to borrow a phrase, "if it saves the life of just one child..."
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Mark

Post by Mark »

The kids who need this the most are from the larger cities. Can't see it happening.
LSC

Post by LSC »

nevermind...
Last edited by LSC on Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

I'm sure if this bill is pass it will help a lot of schools. Especially Jr. High and High schools where they have rifle teams.
Eddie Eagle is done by the local police aand Sheriff's Dept.'s. Evet year they have to apply for grants to Buy the Eddie Eagle Costume which runs close to $2000,if they don't have one. And NOT every dept. can get one. Then they have to pay for the books and pamphlets to hand out to all the kids. Most of the Sheriff's dept.'s also give the kids "Junior Deputy Sheriff plastic badges IF they complete the 4 day course in their classroom.
It is a great program,I have seen it. And as far as we know a lot of kids have benefited from it.Some parents call the school and tell them how well the kids carried what they learned from it to home where there are firearms.
Hopefully the Bill passes. it will be a Big "yes" for all the schools .
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

quit the board - delete
Last edited by Buckshot on Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1972

Post by mike1972 »

eddie eagle had it right afterall :)