Senate Bill 9

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MJK

Senate Bill 9

Post by MJK »

I just read an article on ShortNews.com that Ohio is passing it's own PATRIOT Act. All the liberals on ShortNews were really upset about it, so I figured I had better read up on it.

You can find the bill text at: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bill ... D=126_SB_9

From my understanding (which is very limited) the bill has passed the House and Senate and is awaiting our wonderful Governor's :roll: signature.

Nothing in the bill sounds too bad to me. The only thing I saw that would effect CHL was a requirement to read and sign a form stating you haven't supported a terrorist organization when obtaining certain licenses that could pose a risk to residents of the state (CHL). Now admittedly no sane person is going to say "sure, I support terrorist organizations all the time", but I don't see it as a big deal.

Oh, it will also make it law that you have to show ID to an officer at an airport and other critical transportation infrastructure site.

Anyway, thought that was interesting.
Mnemesyne

Post by Mnemesyne »

Picture this scenerio...you are at a relatives house...they live on or near the lake...so you leave your ID at their house so it isn't stolen while you enjoy a dip in the lake (I'm referring to Lake Erie, not a smaller lake)....Police officer approches and asks you for id, you can't provide it, so you're arrested...you get convicted, you loose CCW and now look like you aren't a law abiding citizen.....This law is an outrage no matter how you look at it....It also allows complete circumvention of the 4th and 5th amendments......So much for the US Constutution....... :roll:

I'd be concerned if I were you....because its one more step towards a complete police state where we might as well be issued identification papers/travel documents for every movement we dare make.....

Should good ol shaft make this into law, rest assured it will be in front of the courts in record time....

And I know some of you will throw in the debate of you should always have id on you etc...But if I'm swimming in lake erie, the last 2 items on my person will be my ID and my gun...I'll leave those locked in either my vehicle or my dad's house.....Perhaps I should look at a tattoo with my SSN now :roll: or one of those implantable ID chips........

Sigh.....

Mneme
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

If I remember correctly it will be tattooed on your forehead??

- T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
MJK

Post by MJK »

The law doesn't make it a criminal offense for not providing ID. It allows the officer to detain you until they can determine who you are. However, preventing you from leaving would appear to me to be false imprisonment?

The law doesn't mention an officer being able to stop anyone and ask for ID, it specifically mentions critical transportation sites. They also have to be checking everyone, not just randomly selecting people. So if you are at an airport, train station, or port without ID then yeah you could run into some problems.

It's another misguided law. The only parts of the law I really like are the parts that deal with immigration violations.

Anyway, I still don't see it as a huge deal. It will be challenged in the courts immediately.

The ACLU is strongly opposed to it, so I figure it must be a pretty good law. :)
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Post by Ursus americanus »

Papers please!

It's not a question - it's a demand. Do you remember or know what happened to Deborah Davis in Colorado?

You want a true patriot act? Secure the borders and support the 2nd Ammendment.
jmwildenthal

Kitchen chemicals

Post by jmwildenthal »

Don't ever say anything threatening about the government such that the prosecution could claim you had intent to manufacture a chemical, biological, or explosive weapon. All they need is possession of ONE usable ingredient and you're looking at a felony - 2909.28. Now, would rotting eggs be considered chemical or biological weapons? And don't forget all those wonderful things you can do with chemicals under the sink. Or if you're a reloader, never joke about blowing anything up.

Naturally, there are exemptions for military and LEOs.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

1. Creates Fascist council unaccountable to voters with dictatorial powers.

Just what we need to give to Boob Shaft, Beat-me Montgomery or Fingerbutt.

2. GAA aircraft owners will LOVE the tax on PRIVATE aircraft owners while commercial airlines (you know, the big planes that the terrorists try to steal so you have to be protected by removing your shoes) get to pay nothing.

This law is 'Homeland Security Light'. It is a repetition of extremely poor Federal Law already in place and is of absolutely no use to the people of this State.

It purports to protect and does nothing but increase fees and taxes.

It increases the power of the State and creates a hideous new 'fascist council' that will only grow and become another PITA bureaucracy and TAX burden.

Did the Patriot Act and Homeland security make you safer?

Are you allowed to CCW on an aircraft? Does this law give you more or less freedom to protect yourself?

It means any cop can ask you for 'your papers, please..." at any time.

Will I vote for this new 'risky tax scheme'.

NAAAAWWWWWT!!!!

Shadow

edited by jgarvas for langauge and proper formatting
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

Doh, I hit the button twice. :shock:
Last edited by Johnny45 on Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

I admit I haven't read the law but I echo "Show me your papers", sounds too much like Nazi Germany. The way to fight terrorists is to relocate them to a lower level of the earth, you don't take away freedoms from the citizens. Take away the freedoms and the terrorists have already won.
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
LSC

Post by LSC »

Ursus americanus wrote:Papers please!

It's not a question - it's a demand. Do you remember or know what happened to Deborah Davis in Colorado?

This is precisely why I support the ACLU even though I don't care much for their 2A stance.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

lscronley wrote:
Ursus americanus wrote:Papers please!

This is precisely why I support the ACLU even though I don't care much for their 2A stance.
What stance? The ACLU totally ignors 2A! To them it does not exist.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Cruiser wrote:What stance? The ACLU totally ignors 2A! To them it does not exist.
The ACLU aggressively guards portions of the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, and Ninth Amendments. For this they are to be commended. For the rest of their anti-God, anti-morality, anti-good-sense efforts, they are to be carefully watched.

The NRA is the organization that works to guard the Second Amendment, while the Second Amendment guards us all.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If the ACLU guarded the second amendment like they do the first amendment we would not need the Patriot act, or homeland security.The people could protect themselves and nobody in the world would dare come over here and start anything.Even China could not stand up to 150,000,000 armed rednecks.
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Illuminaughty
*** Banned ***

Post by Illuminaughty »

If it were decreed that everyone legally had to own a firearm, or at least 1 per household, we'd see a very interesting revolution. Anti-gunners wouldn't have a pot to {inappropriate language} in with how much crime would fall off. It'd be feasible, too. Just provide a tax break to anyone who doesn't have a gun to purchase a gun, or maybe just take the price out of the taxes they already paid and have the gov't issue them a homeland security gun.

Yeah, that'll happen. Right along with full auto/machine guns/silencer being legalized along with pot. :roll:
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Illuminaughty wrote:If it were decreed that everyone legally had to own a firearm, or at least 1 per household, we'd see a very interesting revolution. Anti-gunners wouldn't have a pot to {inappropriate language} in with how much crime would fall off. It'd be feasible, too. Just provide a tax break to anyone who doesn't have a gun to purchase a gun, or maybe just take the price out of the taxes they already paid and have the gov't issue them a homeland security gun.
Obviously, it would need a local level law enforcement provision.....a CHL would be PERFECT in this regard.

In other words.....If the head of household passed the requirements for a CHL then the option would exist for legal requirement for a defensive firearm.

An outstanding idea none the less....I'd vote for it.

I think, in this regard, the Second Amendment is being abused. Instead of interpreting it as a right to bear arms...it should be seen as an OBLIGATION to bear arms.

The way I read it....clearly.....it is an admonishment by our founding fathers that everyone has an obligation to be appropriately armed....and ready.

It's not an option folks....it is a civic responsibility.

Has it occurred to anyone why we've had no more 9/11's??? Does it make sense to anyone why we've not had any bus bombings, or train bombings or an more of this stuff??? Why was London chosen for the bombings???

In a nutshell.....these muslim pieces of camel excrement are COWARDS...they don't attack us on the street level because they KNOW many citizens are armed in this country.

The common denominator among all terrorists is cowardice....low character scum. Do not confuse ritual suicide with bravery.....it is a cowardly escape for lowlife scum who have only the delusion of a better life. Make no mistake...they have all been cast into the outer darkness.

President Bush's anti terrorism plan is working. Judge the tree by its fruit. Seriously.....many criticize President Bush.....but he's actually doing what he SAID he would do....and that is to protect the American People...he's doing it.....the domestic activity, and the war on terror are working.....seriously....LOOK.

Why won't people give this man a break??? He's doing his job in the most extraordinary way....