Democrats Sense Chances in Ohio for 2006 Vote

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Democrats Sense Chances in Ohio for 2006 Vote

Post by TunnelRat »

The New York Times wrote:Democrats Sense Chances in Ohio for 2006 Vote

UPPER ARLINGTON, Ohio., Dec. 1-Democrats are hard to find in this upscale Columbus suburb, home to Representative Deborah Pryce, the highest-ranking Republican woman in the House. Yet Democrats now think they can do the unthinkable: unseat Ms. Pryce in 2006.

She is not their only target. These are tough times for Republicans, and nowhere more so than in Ohio, a Republican-dominated state that has become a political crucible, testing the party's strength nationally as next year's mid-term elections approach.

The Republican governor, Bob Taft, is ensnared in an ethics scandal that has sent his approval ratings into a freefall. One House Republican from Ohio, Representative Bob Ney, has been implicated in a federal fraud investigation. Another, Representative Jean Schmidt, has been ridiculed on late night television for sharply criticizing a prominent Democrat over the war in Iraq.

With President Bush's popularity ratings dropping, Republican candidates in Ohio say they will run on their own records, not that of their party or the president. They are mindful that in Central Ohio, as in the rest of the nation, unease over the economy and the war in Iraq runs deep.
More at:http://tinyurl.com/9mgmg

This is no time to be bailing out on our friends just because they don't agree with us 100%. That's why we used to have 40 years of Democratic Party control...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

This article is mostly wishful thinking. Every Democrat I know was positive that Kerry would take Ohio in 2004, and a bunch of them said the same of Al Gore in 2000. Although things are tough for republicans in Ohio, the Ohio Democrats are always quite good at blowing any advantage they may have. As stupid as the Ohio Republican party is, the Democrats are far more stupid.

That doesn't mean it will not be a hard fought campaign, it undoubtably will be. But I think they are counting chickens, and the eggs haven't even been laid yet.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

GWC -
I don't remember the numbers for Ohio in 2000, but 2004 was kind of a near thing. Much like Florida in 2000. Both the 2000 and 2004 elections were way too close for comfort in my mind. Notwithstanding the cute red/blue county-by-county maps available from The Patriot web site, I really don't think it'd take too much for enough people to vote the other way to make us very unhappy...
Last edited by NavyChief on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:I really don't think it'd take too much for enough people to vote the other way to make us very unhappy...
Especially when a significant chunk of conservative and Republican voters are about fed up with Mike DeWine and may sit out the election, while the Dems are excited about the possibilities of their own anti-gun Sherrod Brown...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
GWC

Post by GWC »

The Senate election is the the democrat's best chance. I think they have about a 65% chance of winning that one. But the article goes on to say they might beat a bunch of US reps in republican majorty districts. Not bloody likely. The US house has less turnover than the Soviet politburo did, due to gerrymandered districts. The Democrats will be competetive in the Governor's race too, but the Republicans will win that one unless Montgomery gets the nomination ( a real possibility with three conservative candidates to split votes in the primary).

The Democrats biggest problem in Ohio is that they don't have very many good candidates to run. Tha's why you hear talk of Jerry Springer running for the Senate or Governor.

The 2004 election in Ohio was not as close the press made it out to be. There were about 10 states the Kerry won by much smaller margins than the margin in Ohio, but they were called for Kerry several hours before Ohio was called for Bush. Although the margin in Ohio was smaller in 2004 than it was in 2000, there was never any chance that Kerry was going to win Ohio. The press didn't call it earlier in the night because there was no possibility of Kerry winning without Ohio. The combination of wishful thinking and partisan bias led to the conventional wisdom of the race turning in Ohio.

While Ohio was an extremely important victory for Bush, it was clear that Bush had won the election to professional political watchers fairly early on election night.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

The only thing I forsee is that Taft's carrer in politics will be DOA.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
Henry Bowman

Post by Henry Bowman »

Especially when a significant chunk of conservative and Republican voters are about fed up with Mike DeWine and may sit out the election,
Which is why Dewine must be defeated by a pro-gun alternative in the primary!
Send lawyers, guns, and money...