Jim Petro Answers OFCC Survey

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Jim Petro Answers OFCC Survey

Post by Daniel »

Ohio Attorney General, and gubernatorial hopeful, Jim Petro has submitted his responses to the OFCC candidate survey.

He follows up on his actions to defend the current CHL law and his efforts to negotiate reciprocity agreements with some strong pro-gun statements.
I believe that law abiding citizens have the right to defend their family and property. That is why I was the first and only statewide elected official to openly support the concept of concealed carry in Ohio.
Click here to view all of his answers.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
MJK

Post by MJK »

Anyone else unimpressed with Petro's responses?

I think too much of the lawyer was coming out. He seemed to avoid giving direct answers to some of the questions. His answer to question 6 was nicely worded, "I would strongly consider supporting such legislation." He doesn't say he would support it, just he would consider it. :x

I'm also very dissapointed that he doesn't support allowing me to carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. I don't drink, so I think it is an unreasonable to make me leave my gun in the car while I go to eat my steak.

I was going to vote for Petro, but I think Blackwell is looking like a much better choice. I had really been put off Petro since I heard he referred to Blackwell as an "extreme right-winger". Only a closet liberal would call someone that.

I must remove myself from Petro's mailing list...
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MJK wrote: Anyone else unimpressed with Petro's responses?

I dunno, I kinda liked them.

I think too much of the lawyer was coming out. He seemed to avoid giving direct answers to some of the questions. His answer to question 6 was nicely worded, "I would strongly consider supporting such legislation." He doesn't say he would support it, just he would consider it. :x

Well, he is in the middle of an election campaign. He has a lot of people he has to please. A wise politician has to take care of the whacko vote, too.

I'm also very dissapointed that he doesn't support allowing me to carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. I don't drink, so I think it is an unreasonable to make me leave my gun in the car while I go to eat my steak.

That is an issue that is still being debated. and it has a LOT of opposition. At this point in the campaign I can't blame him for not jumping on that question like a dog on a bone. But, yeah, I'd have liked a better answer, too...

I was going to vote for Petro, but I think Blackwell is looking like a much better choice. I had really been put off Petro since I heard he referred to Blackwell as an "extreme right-winger". Only a closet liberal would call someone that.

Or someone who is courting the closet liberal vote. This is still politics, ya know.

And miss out on the Christmas card...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Did anyone notice that Petro said that we have a right to carry a concealed weapon on question #10 :D We have him on this, it is in writing now 8)
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
MJK

Post by MJK »

Oh...there's a Christmas card? Well then, I have been persuaded to stay on his list! heh.

I still don't understand a republican politician trying to get liberal votes, it doesn't work. No liberal is going to vote for Petro when he is pro-gun and probably more importantly pro-life. So why not just please those who are likely to vote for him? At this point libs shouldn't be a concern. His competition isn't democrats, it's other republicans until the primary is done.

I just don't care for a man who compromises his values for a few votes. If he does that while he is running, what is he likely to do when he is in office?

Anyway, we should count ourselves lucky that we have several pro-gun politicians running for governor.

Additionally... I thought WE WERE the whacko vote?? :D
Last edited by MJK on Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Wayne wrote:Did anyone notice that Petro said that we have a right to carry a concealed weapon on question #10 :D We have him on this, it is in writing now 8)
Which means that something else in the "booklet" is wrong :twisted: ....

My real problems are vehicular carry, restaurant carry, and CPZ's by State (BMV, ODNR) fiat or in places that my taxes paid for.

My problem with Petro is, I think, that he could have trashed the whole vehicular carry mess with a few words: "In light of case law due to drug, weapons, and other contraband, if the Officer can clearly determine that a firearm might be present, it's visible." Just presenting your CHL or an MDT hit would be sufficient....

Restaurant carry's a hot button for the anti's - yet another way to restrict our safety. If somebody's going to shoot up a bar, he'll go out to the car and get the gun if he's left it there. Meantime, we sure can count on the signs to keep the problem folks out.... Like the Deputy Registrar in Youngstown yesterday....

Which leads to my view on CPZ's in general: If there's no armed security in the parking lot, and no "sterile entry" for all users of the facility (i.e., metal detectors and armed guards), and no lockboxes inside the building for those who don't trust the guys watching the lot, then the sign's are invalid, regardless of whether it's "Joe's Supermarket" or a State Prison.... Particularly buildings "I" paid for....

I don't think we can force private businesses to put in metal detectors - that may be an intrusion we can't justify - but we can force the anti's in Columbus to clean up the ODNR, the Deputy Registrar's "leaders", and many hospitals.

We also need to think about schools. There's no sound reason to lock out CHL holders who wish to carry. Those signs really are doing a great job of protecting our kids, or the adults - students, staff, or faculty - who are there.

Finally, it should be forbidden (I think Petro could have done this for us) to post a parking lot....

I'm going to sit on the fence for a while....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

12. Ohio is a melting pot of cultures. Many Ohio residents are classified as “resident aliens” who live in this country legally, but have chosen for one reason or another not to seek citizenship. These “non US Citizens” are permitted to purchase and own firearms, and regularly pass the National Instant Check System (NICS) when purchasing a firearm. Would you support or oppose legislation prohibiting non-US Citizens from obtaining concealed handgun licenses in the State of Ohio?

My grandparents came to this country a century ago. It was nearly a decade before they had the opportunity to become U.S. citizens. My late father told me many stories about his father who was a sportsman, hunter, and business owner. In protecting his family, he had occasion to carry a handgun even before he became a citizen, I am not sure we would want to deny legal immigrants the same opportunity.
Where can I get a "Vote for Pedro!" ... ahem ... "Vote for Petro!" shirt? :mrgreen:

Otherwise I think his answers were very carefully worded. I believe he is going as far as he can in supporting concealed carry without offendending the general population.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Otherwise I think his answers were very carefully worded. I believe he is going as far as he can in supporting concealed carry without offendending the general population.
He is a Lawyer!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MJK wrote:Anyway, we should count ourselves lucky that we have several pro-gun politicians running for governor.
Additionally... I thought WE WERE the whacko vote?? :D
Thank you. Your reply save me a lot of typing.... :D
Cruiser wrote:He is a Lawyer!
Well, yeah, he is the Attorney General... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Ursus americanus
*** Banned ***

Post by Ursus americanus »

11. Ohio law does not allow anyone other than on-duty law enforcement officers to carry a firearm into any establishment in which alcohol is being dispensed under a class D license. Would you, as governor, support or oppose legislation allowing concealed handgun licensees to carry a firearm in those premises, provided the licensee was not under the influence of an alcoholic substance, and was not consuming alcoholic beverages?

I would oppose such legislation. I think it is a reasonable restriction.
Obviously Mr. Petro doesn't believe that although I have been deemed responsible enough to carry a concealed handgun in public, I am not responsible enough to eat at Max & Erma's.

He'll have to do better to earn my vote.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Ursus americanus wrote:Obviously Mr. Petro doesn't believe that although I have been deemed responsible enough to carry a concealed handgun in public, I am not responsible enough to eat at Max & Erma's.

He'll have to do better to earn my vote.
I dunno, I suspect if the legislature gives him the bill, he'll sign it. He's just not planning to campaign on what is obviously a touchy issue.
TunnelRat

shoot2live

petro history with support of constitution

Post by shoot2live »

perhaps my memory is failing me, [EDITED FOR CONTENT, the poster cannot seem to recall Jim Petro's stand on CCW --TR]

a lexus-nexus search would clear things up...perhaps an admin. could do some homework for the board.

[EDITED FOR CONTENT -- TR]
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

If you're going to post something defamatory and negative about a politician who is currently involved in a primary, you really ought to be able to back it up with facts and quotes. Baseless slander and innuendo is absolutely not acceptable.

Let us be clear: I am not necessarily in Petro's camp. I think Blackwell may make the better candidate. However, Jim Petro has been a strong proponent of CCW. He has intervened on our side in both the Clyde and the Beatty cases. He has worked vigorously to obtain reciprocity with a number of states, announcing a new reciprocity agreement with New Mexico just recently. He came to address this past summer's OFCC gathering and has answered the OFCC candidates quiestionaire positively. He has done well by us.

We need to keep in mind that we who care for concealed carry and have gotten our CHL's are in an absolute minority in this state. We make up less than 3% of the population. We should be grateful for any politician who is willing to stick his neck out for us. Refusing our support to a politician because he doesn't agree with us 100% will only lead to having no politicians who are willing to support us.
TunnelRat

dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

MJK wrote:I think too much of the lawyer was coming out. He seemed to avoid giving direct answers to some of the questions. His answer to question 6 was nicely worded, "I would strongly consider supporting such legislation." He doesn't say he would support it, just he would consider it. :x
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. Though I first noticed it because he said "strongly consider". To me, consideration is not an analog concept.
MJK wrote:I'm also very dissapointed that he doesn't support allowing me to carry a gun into a restaurant that serves alcohol. I don't drink, so I think it is an unreasonable to make me leave my gun in the car while I go to eat my steak.
Same here. I was actually on probation a few years ago when a friend asked me if he could keep a 6 pack in my fridge for when he's over or if it was against my probate. I told him I didn't know. I've never drank, so it didn't apply to me, so I didn't bother to pay attention. Same for places that serve alcohol. I have a friend who works at a local pizza joint and now I can't swing by just because they sell a couple bottles of beer each day. Literally.

Holders are non-felons with a violence free background that have been through education that clearly outlines that you may NOT carry while any alcohol is in your system. Add it all together and you have an almost all-encompassing chance that the person isn't going to go and shoot somebody just because they're where alcohol is.
MJK wrote:Anyone else unimpressed with Petro's responses?
I was. Mostly in his answers to the alcohol thing as well as the non-residents. I won't pretend to understand immigration and citizenship issues, but if a person isn't bothered with procuring their citizenship, how does the right to bear arms apply to them at all? Not saying I believe anybody should be denied the ability to defend themselves, but join the team first, nahmsayn?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

MJK wrote:Anyone else unimpressed with Petro's responses?

Hey dude.....

It doesn't get any better. Waddayawant?

He sure didn't sound iffy or wishy washy to me. Sounds to me like he's firmly planted on OUR side.

Combine what he SAID with what he's DONE and you clearly have a Potential Governor who will advance the rights of lawful citizens.

I've been behind this guy for several years now. Wanna know why??? Because I have followed, sometimes in astonishment, how far out on a limb he's gone for us.

This guy is a POLITICIAN remember??? By definition a bottom feeder. Mr. Petro is without a doubt the exception to the rule.

It is rare to see any politician, much less one running for an office, take a firm stand for the RIGHTS of his constituency.

He has my vote...and as many more as I can rustle up for him.

I am sure Mr. Blackwell is good too, but Jim Petro has DEMONSTRATED where his loyalties lie.