Jim Petro Answers OFCC Survey

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ampleworks

Post by ampleworks »

I'm not sure if its been said before but the revision about aliens and the new bill introduced, was it written in the said manner so that we can bypass the NICS instant check when buying guns in Ohio?

Just bought an 870 today at Walmart since they're about $75 cheaper than any gun store around here. The shmuck took about an hour total by the time he stumbled through every question on the phone call.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

ampleworks wrote:I'm not sure if its been said before but the revision about aliens and the new bill introduced, was it written in the said manner so that we can bypass the NICS instant check when buying guns in Ohio?
[...]
I doubt it. The Brady Act mandates the NICS background check and is therefore federal law. You always have the option to purchase from a private party within Ohio, of course.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
jmwildenthal

Citizenship irrelevant

Post by jmwildenthal »

If the basis for our right to carry weapons is our (God given) right to self defense, how does being a noncitizen diminish that right?
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Citizenship irrelevant

Post by NavyChief »

jmwildenthal wrote:If the basis for our right to carry weapons is our (God given) right to self defense, how does being a noncitizen diminish that right?
Excellent question. Of course, my answer is, "It doesn't." But I'm just a crusty ol' Chief - they hardly ever consult me.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

haspelbein wrote:The Brady Act mandates the NICS background check and is therefore federal law.
I thought the Brady Act had expired, or was that only the phony "assault weapons" ban?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

TunnelRat wrote:
haspelbein wrote:The Brady Act mandates the NICS background check and is therefore federal law.
I thought the Brady Act had expired, or was that only the phony "assault weapons" ban?
It did. The most odious parts anyway, like the three day wait.

Some aspects remain...the NICS check for example. Which I happen to think is a good idea.
Jronjakoh

Aliens with CCW

Post by Jronjakoh »

Basically I see aliens getting a CCW like I did when i drove tractor trailer. To drive a Tractor trailer I spent 3500 bucks. I did 8 monthsd of books at home and 8 weeks at truck driving school to get a CDL (commercial driving licence.)
When I am on the road I am limited to 12 hrs Driving (not including working time )then a 10 hr break and go again. I have to keep logs of every minute I drive, work,break,sleep.
Make 1 little mistake one the highway and I got either Smokie Bear (OSHP) or the D.O.T. an on my backside. Our trucks get inspected just about EVERY day if the D.O.T. wants to hassle us and check it out. 1 lb overweight and a MASIVE fine I they want to give it to us.Alot of hassle to make $50,000 a year.
Ever see what the Mexican have to do to drive a truck,let alone Bush allowing thwem to cross the borders,run U.S. highways and back??
NOTHING! NADA!
Now people wonder why the Truckers of America don't want them running our highway with truck that NEVER have to be inspected for safety,No logbooks,no hrs of service either.

NOW! picture an alien getting a firearms license.
In Texas they can get a driver's License without being a citizen.

If it was my Law they would be a full bonefied U/S. of A citizen and able to pass a criminal investigation background check just like we have to.
I'm thinking VISA's would be another thing because I don't know the law on them.I HAve seen a roundup of Visa people in Texas for LONG overdue Visa's like up to ten yrs.And they were sent back to Mexico.

sorry for the long post but just the way I feel.

Carry a Kahr! Carry a Glock! But Carry. Mine is a Mean Star
SMMAssociates

Re: Aliens with CCW

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jronjakoh wrote:If it was my Law they would be a full bonefied U/S. of A citizen and able to pass a criminal investigation background check just like we have to.
I disagree, but only in the "bona fide US Citizen" arena. There are plenty of folks in the US legally who aren't citizens for some reason, and should be able to qualify (same rules!) for a CHL.

It may be impossible to verify "where did you live since you turned 18", but the background check we had to pass should catch most of the problem people, and I would doubt that a terrorist would go to the trouble of trying to obtain a CHL anyway. Too visible....

It was suggested here that a time limit be established - those who live here and enjoy our services, etc., should obtain citizenship - but that's a minor problem.

This isn't the same as just letting a truck with a Mexican driver across the Rio Grande.... Not even close....
Some aspects remain...the NICS check for example. Which I happen to think is a good idea.
Jeff:

The implementation is pretty awful. It's too easy to get on the "hold" list - almost as easy as the TSA's "no fly", and the resulting waiting period can be a serious inconvenience (say you drove up here to buy a gun 'cause my favorite dealer was offering a major incentive). The dealer should be able to use a computer to just log in and get an approval. Everybody's got 'em, and if there are security issues, dedicated terminals like VISA machines could be put out there for $100-ish.

If it's got to be done by phone, the 4473's number and the purchaser's SSN should be all that's required, with an authorization number coming back. 30 seconds.... (OK, if you don't want to supply your SSN, names will take a little longer.) None of this 30 minute hoorah....

But it beats the waiting period. Which couldn't possibly have worked anyway.... Matter of fact its too logical. We must be reading something wrong.... :twisted:

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
dan_sayers

Re: Citizenship irrelevant

Post by dan_sayers »

jmwildenthal wrote:If the basis for our right to carry weapons is our (God given) right to self defense, how does being a noncitizen diminish that right?
I wanted a gun. I wanted to carry it. I didn't just go out and do it. There were certain steps that needed to be taken to play ball fair and square and I took them. Prior to having the gun and prior to carrying it, I had other ways to defend myself. I wanted to be able to via firearm, so I went through the steps to prove I was capable and responsible enough to do so. Since we're talking firearms, I can agree with the necessity of it. If others wish to as well, get the citizenship.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

SMMAssociates wrote: Jeff:

The implementation is pretty awful. It's too easy to get on the "hold" list - almost as easy as the TSA's "no fly", and the resulting waiting period can be a serious inconvenience (say you drove up here to buy a gun 'cause my favorite dealer was offering a major incentive). The dealer should be able to use a computer to just log in and get an approval. Everybody's got 'em, and if there are security issues, dedicated terminals like VISA machines could be put out there for $100-ish.

If it's got to be done by phone, the 4473's number and the purchaser's SSN should be all that's required, with an authorization number coming back. 30 seconds.... (OK, if you don't want to supply your SSN, names will take a little longer.) None of this 30 minute hoorah....

But it beats the waiting period. Which couldn't possibly have worked anyway.... Matter of fact its too logical. We must be reading something wrong....

Oh it's definately a pain in the patootie.

I worked in a gunstore briefly so I got to see first hand how this thing works from the other side of the gun counter. It's a royal pain for EVERYONE involved. Fortunately, most people sail through it without a problem.

I can say this, however. It sure made me feel better knowing that someone walking out of that store with a deadly weapon didn't have a list of felonies a mile long.
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

SMMAssociates wrote: [...]I disagree, but only in the "bona fide US Citizen" arena. There are plenty of folks in the US legally who aren't citizens for some reason, and should be able to qualify (same rules!) for a CHL.
Legal Resident Aliens are subject to almost all the duties and obligations that citizens have, including mandatory military service when a draft is in place, just not all the rights and privileges. Our NICS background check requirements are actually stronger than the ones for US citizens. (e.g. residency verification and mandatory social security number)
It may be impossible to verify "where did you live since you turned 18"but the background check we had to pass should catch most of the problem people, and I would doubt that a terrorist would go to the trouble of trying to obtain a CHL anyway. Too visible....
Actually, that is pretty much verified by the US consulate in your country of origin while processing your application to reach permanent resident status.
And yes, I cannot see a terrorist applying for a CHL, either.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

I will NEVER vote for Petro, unless he is the lesser of 2 evils in the upcoming race

There SHOULD be a "Your home is your castle" law in Ohio

There is NO reason why ANY establishment should be able to post signs
banning citizens from entering with a concealed weapon. Other states
do not have this provision and there is no problem.

There SHOULD be a provision to allow us to enter an establishment that
serves alcohol. Other states have this and there are no wild drunken
shootouts in bars - why would it happen here?

Expunged records should be SEALED so that once a judge grants an
expungement that person can obtain a CCW

Petro is against or doing the standard politician sidestep of most questions
"I would strongly consider supporting such legislation"
Translated... I will only tell you what you want to hear so I get elected.
If he really felt stongly he would give a yes or no answer

Petro... NO WAY
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

OhioMike wrote:

Petro... NO WAY
Have it YOUR way... :wink:
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Mike -
Two of the three points you make really don't have anything to do with Petro. He was/is the AG. AGs don't make law. Yes, his answers sound like that of a politician. I wonder why that is? He's got a lot more people he's gotta convince than just the 3% or so that happen to be CHLers. Do I think others might be better choices? Yeah. But I don't think Petro'd be bad. What the heck do I care?!?! I live in Florida. True, but I retire from this canoe club in about a year and am most likely "heading home" at that point. So what happens there and now does indeed have an impact on me.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

OhioMike wrote: I will NEVER vote for Petro, unless he is the lesser of 2 evils in the upcoming race

If Petro wins the Republican nomination, he would very likely be the lesser of the two weevils running for governor.

There SHOULD be a "Your home is your castle" law in Ohio

Probably, but it's not Petro's fault that there's not.

There is NO reason why ANY establishment should be able to post signs
banning citizens from entering with a concealed weapon. Other states
do not have this provision and there is no problem.

Apparently there are a lot of people who disagree with you. I tend to be on your side in this one, but again, it not Petro's fault -- he didn't write the law.

There SHOULD be a provision to allow us to enter an establishment that
serves alcohol. Other states have this and there are no wild drunken
shootouts in bars - why would it happen here?

I tend to agree with you, but there is a significant number of people who do not. That's part of living in a democratic republic. If you instist on political candidates who agree with you 100%, you will end up sitting out most elections. Heck, it's hard to find anybody on this site who agrees 100% with either you or me...

Expunged records should be SEALED so that once a judge grants an
expungement that person can obtain a CCW

Yup, I think that would be a good idea, too. Again, what has that got to do with Petro?

Petro is against or doing the standard politician sidestep of most questions
"I would strongly consider supporting such legislation"
Translated... I will only tell you what you want to hear so I get elected.
If he really felt stongly he would give a yes or no answer

Coupla points here:
1) Petro is a politician. Before he can do us any good at all, he has to get elected. He's not gonna do that by alienating 40% of the population before the campaign even starts.
2) For a politician to say that he would "strongly consider supporting such legislation" at this stage of the campaign is frankly a fairly bold statement. I liked Blackwell's remarks better, but what Petro said isn't anything to be upset about.
3) Maybe you ought to consider how Sherrod Brown would have answered the questions. Any of the current Republican candidates are better than most Democrats. At least they don't have anti-gun legislation written into their party platform...

Petro... NO WAY

Well, that's why we have primaries, isn't it?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.