Jim Petro Answers OFCC Survey

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It is my opinion that Petro has already validated his position on second amendment rights and concealed carry. I do not understand how anyone could think that Petro is anything but pro gun. That is not to say that I think Petro would make the best governor though. At this time I am kinda leaning towards Blackwell,but that may change.
  • As far as his answers to the OFCC guestionnaire what would you expect? He is after all a politician and a lawyer,it's his job to try and appeal to everybody. :wink:
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

dan_sayers wrote:
MJK wrote:I think too much of the lawyer was coming out. He seemed to avoid giving direct answers to some of the questions. His answer to question 6 was nicely worded, "I would strongly consider supporting such legislation." He doesn't say he would support it, just he would consider it. :x
Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. Though I first noticed it because he said "strongly consider". To me, consideration is not an analog concept.
For pete's sake......what do you want???

You show me someone else who will put it more succinctly and I'll kiss your big toe.

Man...you guys are blowing my mind!

If you want a lot of word soup listen to some bonehead like fingergut.

I can't believe what I just read in this post.

You better figure out which side of your bread is buttered mister!!! :D

GO PETRO!!
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

We gotta lose this Petro vs. Blackwell nonsense.

They're both good for us.

It should be Petro OR Blackwell to the exclusion of montgomery.

I happen to favor Jim Petro because I'm more familiar with his history...so he's my main man. Mr. Blackwell certainly qualifies as my backup. They are BOTH winners. We have two shots at a decent governor. Never before has this kind of opportunity been available to us.

Let's not pit these guys in an either/or scenario. Support the one you like.

HOWEVER.....the main thing is that one of them ends up on the ballot next fall....then SUPPORT HIM AGAIN.

I'd like to see everyone pitch in behind Petro...I realize that won't happen. I DO think OFCC needs to pick an official preference. When that happens, we should all support that candidate.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Look again. I was making a semantical remark about the English language. I don't feel anything for or against the guy beyond the fact that I can legally carry and that's good enough for me. Part of the reason I don't get into politics or sports for that matter is the vehemance of a fanboy tends to blur rationality.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Wayne wrote:It is my opinion that Petro has already validated his position on second amendment rights and concealed carry. I do not understand how anyone could think that Petro is anything but pro gun. That is not to say that I think Petro would make the best governor though. At this time I am kinda leaning towards Blackwell,but that may change.
  • As far as his answers to the OFCC guestionnaire what would you expect? He is after all a politician and a lawyer,it's his job to try and appeal to everybody. :wink:
Dude....he's not trying to appeal to everybody....what do you think tubby hoover is thinking right now? How about fingerhut, and some of the other left wingers?

Mr. Petro is a very wise man. He's got the street smarts. He knows he can't come off as a fence rider....we've had 8 years of that with bob taxt. Mr. Petro knows he needs to pick a side; so to speak, in this highly polarized political environment. Obviously, he's picked the RIGHT side.

At the same time, he can't be a koo koo radical like me. He has to show some moderation. He has to make sense to people. He can't come across as a right wing extremist. I have that luxury, but he doesn't.

I tell you who I'd vote for Governor if he was running....

TR.... :shock: :D

waddayathink...is it too late to get him on the ballot?

I mean....heck, he's a dead ringer. Vietnam vet....legal background....smart but not so great looking....I'm for it is anyone else?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

dan_sayers wrote:Look again. I was making a semantical remark about the English language. I don't feel anything for or against the guy beyond the fact that I can legally carry and that's good enough for me. Part of the reason I don't get into politics or sports for that matter is the vehemance of a fanboy tends to blur rationality.
I did look again.

Thanks for the new title....vehement fanboy.....it'll do I guess...Though 'fatboy' would have been more accurate.

You dismiss a perfectly viable candidate who is clearly pro rights because he didn't come right out and say everything you wanted to hear?

On top of that you admit you don't 'get involved'? Do you vote?

Would you prefer he said, "hey dudes....drink up....and bring yer guns too!!?

I believe his response to the question of alcohol and CC was VERY sensible. To indicate otherwise would be utterly foolish.

Well, sir, the fact you can pack that new bersa of yours in your pocket legally is the result of peope who DO get involved...and politicians who ARE smart and streetwise.

If I have misunderstood you I apologize. Perhaps you should say what you mean in a way a dummy like me can understand? instead of semantics?
SMMAssociates

PetroFerWhat?

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jeff:

I don't like Petro's stand on restaurant carry. It's nonsense. If somebody's going to shoot up a bar, it doesn't matter whether the gun is on his belt or out in his car, and that sign isn't going to stop him. It will get LAC's killed - that's already happened. I can drive 20 miles or so to Sharon PA and take the wife to a decent restaurant that serves. PA trusts me....

I also feel that he could have nailed down the "in plain sight" part of vehicular carry for us. Insane as this particular poison pill is, existing case law on other contraband and weapons pretty well says that if an Officer walks by the car and smells Hoppes, the gun's "in plain sight". I just don't believe he couldn't have put that in the booklet....

(I guess he was hoping that we'd not notice, and the LEO's would ignore the whole mess.)

SO, no, no blanket endorsement from me right now. OTOH, we could do a lot worse, and may be lucky to have two candidates we could support. We also have to be very careful to avoid dividing that support and giving the nomination to a RINO....

And, let us not forget, campaign promises are pretty ephemeral.

(Maybe HB347 will make it through, but it's still going to have to override Taft's veto. Dunno....)

Now if we can please get focused and back to Naked Twister.... :twisted:

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: PetroFerWhat?

Post by Petrovich »

SMMAssociates wrote:Jeff:

I don't like Petro's stand on restaurant carry. It's nonsense. If somebody's going to shoot up a bar, it doesn't matter whether the gun is on his belt or out in his car, and that sign isn't going to stop him. It will get LAC's killed - that's already happened. I can drive 20 miles or so to Sharon PA and take the wife to a decent restaurant that serves. PA trusts me....

I also feel that he could have nailed down the "in plain sight" part of vehicular carry for us. Insane as this particular poison pill is, existing case law on other contraband and weapons pretty well says that if an Officer walks by the car and smells Hoppes, the gun's "in plain sight". I just don't believe he couldn't have put that in the booklet....

(I guess he was hoping that we'd not notice, and the LEO's would ignore the whole mess.)

SO, no, no blanket endorsement from me right now. OTOH, we could do a lot worse, and may be lucky to have two candidates we could support. We also have to be very careful to avoid dividing that support and giving the nomination to a RINO....

And, let us not forget, campaign promises are pretty ephemeral.

(Maybe HB347 will make it through, but it's still going to have to override Taft's veto. Dunno....)

Now if we can please get focused and back to Naked Twister.... :twisted:

Regards,
I can't argue with your logic. It makes perfect sense to me.

I am sure Mr. Petro likely feels the same way.

I'm simply pointing out that it is a mistake to rule him out on a couple details.

Look at what he's DONE....put that in context with what he SAYS...it'll give you a clearer picture.

He's got to win an election. That isn't going to happen without showing some moderation.

Think of it from another perspective.

Let's say Mr. Blackwell publically states that Ohio law should be changed to allow CC in a bar. Or, let's say he states he wishes to change Ohio law to model vermont's laws (yeah, don't we wish? :D ).....what's that gonna do to his chances?

Rome wasn't built in a day. These ridiculous gun laws aren't going to change overnight either. It will take ongoing administrations, and probably a couple lifetimes, to get what we want.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Petrofergov wrote:Dude....he's not trying to appeal to everybody....what do you think tubby hoover is thinking right now? How about fingerhut, and some of the other left wingers? (These are not everybody...they are nobody) :arrow:

Mr. Petro is a very wise man. He's got the street smarts. He knows he can't come off as a fence rider....we've had 8 years of that with bob taxt. Mr. Petro knows he needs to pick a side; so to speak, in this highly polarized political environment. Obviously, he's picked the RIGHT side. (He knows who butters his bread) :arrow:

At the same time, he can't be a koo koo radical like me. He has to show some moderation. He has to make sense to people. He can't come across as a right wing extremist. I have that luxury, but he doesn't. ( So true) :arrow:

I mean....heck, he's a dead ringer. Vietnam vet....legal background....smart but not so great looking....I'm for it is anyone else?
(TR gets my vote) :D
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Wayne wrote:
Petrofergov wrote:Dude....he's not trying to appeal to everybody....what do you think tubby hoover is thinking right now? How about fingerhut, and some of the other left wingers? (These are not everybody...they are nobody) :arrow:

Mr. Petro is a very wise man. He's got the street smarts. He knows he can't come off as a fence rider....we've had 8 years of that with bob taxt. Mr. Petro knows he needs to pick a side; so to speak, in this highly polarized political environment. Obviously, he's picked the RIGHT side. (He knows who butters his bread) :arrow:

At the same time, he can't be a koo koo radical like me. He has to show some moderation. He has to make sense to people. He can't come across as a right wing extremist. I have that luxury, but he doesn't. ( So true) :arrow:

(TR gets my vote) :D
Great post....is there a point?
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

While I haven't as yet made any decisions regarding my political future, I do plan a listening tour of the OFCC website...:wink:

Political contributions gratefully accepted, as well as any extra ammo you can spare.... :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

...but will you sign an SF-180?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:...but will you sign an SF-180?
I believe my record is clear on this point: unlike my opponents, I don't read Science Fiction, and I won't turn 180 degrees. That question has been answered many times. Can't we all just move on now...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
MJK

Post by MJK »

TunnelRat: We need to keep in mind that we who care for concealed carry and have gotten our CHL's are in an absolute minority in this state. We make up less than 3% of the population. We should be grateful for any politician who is willing to stick his neck out for us. Refusing our support to a politician because he doesn't agree with us 100% will only lead to having no politicians who are willing to support us.
I don't buy that we are a minority, we are part of the conservative majority. Unless of course you actually buy into the liberal propaganda that we keep stealing the elections. :lol:
dan_sayers: I won't pretend to understand immigration and citizenship issues, but if a person isn't bothered with procuring their citizenship, how does the right to bear arms apply to them at all? Not saying I believe anybody should be denied the ability to defend themselves, but join the team first, nahmsayn?
I actually became a U.S. citizen last year so I have a pretty good understanding of the process. The only reason I have any sympathy for non-citizens is there is a waiting time before you can become a citizen. I moved to the U.S. based upon marriage, so I only had to wait 3 years before I was eligible to apply. If you move here for another reason the wait is 5 years. Once you are eligible there is a long tedious process that will likely add another 2 years. So many people are looking at 7 years to become a citizen, even if they are motivated and apply right away. I actually didn't apply right away, because there is a lot of paperwork involved and that in itself takes time to organize. I am NOT however in favor of allowing permanent-residents to carry if they choose not to become a citizen.
Petrofergov: Hey dude.....
I'd prefer it that you didn't refer to me as dude, but I will try to understand that some people weren't taught manners as a child.

I haven't been saying that Petro is a BAD candidate by any means. I think he will make a very reasonable governor, just as he has made a very reasonable attorney general. I just didn't care for his responses. I was much more impressed by Ken Blackwell's responses.
Wayne: As far as his answers to the OFCC guestionnaire what would you expect? He is after all a politician and a lawyer,it's his job to try and appeal to everybody.
It is not necessarily a politicians job to try and appeal to everybody. There are many different strategies for winning votes and one of those is to appeal to your base. If Petro wants to appeal to the base, he needs to give stronger more direct statements. Now if Petro wanted to try and get the center vote and ignore those who lean slightly more right, that would be fine by me. That may very well be his strategy, but I don't think he can do that effectively. He is already too right-wing to appeal to those who are slightly on the left of the spectrum. Besides which, he is doing it all at the wrong time. A more effective strategy would be to appear right-wing now to win the primary, and then shift more to the center during the election. (not necessarily what I believe he should do, but it would be more effective)
petrofergov: You show me someone else who will put it more succinctly and I'll kiss your big toe.
Ken Blackwell put it more succinctly. However, I don't want my big toe kissed by another man, but whatever turns you on. :roll:
petrofergov: We gotta lose this Petro vs. Blackwell nonsense.

They're both good for us.

It should be Petro OR Blackwell to the exclusion of montgomery.
Yes, they're both VERY good for us. You're missing something though, there is a thing called a primary. The very nature of that means that Petro and Blackwell will be competing with each other for our votes. It was designed to be that way. I'm just pleased we have a choice. Once the primary is over then we can throw our support behind the winning candidate and become more unified.

OK, I'm done. :D
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

@P4G: The reason I suggested you're a fanboy is because anything said that YOU PERCEIVE as speaking out against what you believe in and you take it personally. Look a third time. I was pointing out that a person cannot say "strongly consider" because the process of consideration is either present or not; there are not varying levels of consideration. I was teasing the words he chose and in doing so NOT saying anything about HIM. I feel I've been very clear on this point.

When I said I don't get involved, I meant that I don't allow my opinions to sway over one instance of anything. "A man's life cannot be summed in one moment." I've always been more of a casual observer. I've never believed in voting, but as you've pointed out, the fact that I'm carrying DOES mean I'm involved. As such, I DO feel like getting involved and that includes educating myself about those poised to make the decisions that will shape my rights. If I do get around to expressing an opinion on a person, I'd expect you (and everybody else) to respect that that's my decision to make. If you'd like to make a counterpoint you don't believe I've considered, help yourself. Doing so in a manner that might actually garnish favor would be the way to do it though, not act like the person is an idiot. Especially when an opinion was NOT the case and it was just being me being a smartass with the English language.

Why does everybody keep saying Petro or Blackwell? What happened to Draganic? He's the one with the answers that ran most persuant to my own beliefs.