The strategic, long-term benefits of a democratic Afghanista

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

The strategic, long-term benefits of a democratic Afghanista

Post by Petrovich »

While perusing another thread..... :wink:

I came across this comment.
The strategic, long-term benefits of a democratic Afghanistan and Iraq will have an enormous global impact.
Bingo....

This is the point people are missing. This is the ultimate purpose for stabilizing Iraq, and giving Iraq to the Iraqi people.

A stable, hopefully democratic, society in Iraq will accomplish several things. The biggest beneifit will be as an example to the rest of the Middle East that they can have a good life, and a future for their children.

Instead of tyrannical governments, with the wealth going only to a few, and the masses kept ignorant and poor; everyone can have a chance at a good life.

Remember that the root of terrorism is unhappy people. Unhappy, disenfranchised, angry people are RIPE for the picking by these crazy, loonatic religious zealots.

If we can establish an Iraq where most folks are happy, and have a future to look forward to; the rest of the middle east will eventually SEE this and want it for themselves. Happy people do not become terrorists.

The war in Iraq IS a war on terrorism. It is a war on the roots of terrorism which are poverty, ignorance, oppression, tyranny, religious zealotry....the list goes on.

If we can bring Iraq in the 21st century, and make it part of the global economy, give it's people hope for their children....terrorism will begin to disappear.

Sad fact is that the middle east is incredibly important to the rest of the world....for the oil. Yes, it's about the oil.

An unstable middle east is very, very dangerous.

The first step in creating a stable middle east is creating an example country....Iraq got picked. Why Iraq??? Why not??? The timing was there; the opportunity was there...President Bush took it.

The Americans opposed to this war are doing a grave disservice with their sedition.

Yes, we have the RIGHT to speak out. However, having the right to do something doesn't necessarily mean it's right to do it.

Sedition is costing lives. I happen to think this war may have been over by now...and the kids at home tomorrow eating turkey...were it not for the likes of cindy shenanigan.

But the sedition is dragging this war out....and costing more lives. The sedition is hobbling President Bush; and the military.

I think it's high time to get behind our President; whether we agree or not, win this freegin' war and get the kids home.

Nothing {inappropriate language} me off more than some butt, burnout aging hippie freak baby boomer moron....like cindy shenanigan...saying they 'ended the war in vietnam'.

BULL....they didn't end it...they PROLONGED it.....the war couldn't be fought to win, it had to be fought in accordance with American society's approval which, unfortunatley, the loudest mouths got heard; namely the war protesters.

Tom McNoughten is absolutely right and he speaks from experience. We do a grave disservice to our military when we criticize their mission. Such comments should be kept in check...for their good. The first amendment gives us the right to speak, but we should have the common sense and decency to know when not to.
netphoenix

Post by netphoenix »

I used to be a crystal-ball manager in a prior life :wink:

The U.S. is in the middle of reshaping our globe. It's just hard to see the entire forest with all the darned trees in the way.

Failure would have the strongest impact on Europe. Their way of life would be challenged in ways unimaginable if radical Islam isn't beat back via Iraq & Afghanistan.

Iraq won't go completely stable as long as Syria and Iran have their way. I'm anxious to see us out of Iraq (when Iraq is ready) for one simple reason. Bush only has a couple of years left and we don't know who's going to be in the big chair next. He'll be in an excellent position scare the crap out of syria when we're not as committed in Iraq.

Like I've said before, dictators only respect brutal force. With our troops available, North Korea and Syria will both be a little more careful. Bush has demonstrated he'll use force.

North & South Korea will unite when the norths military leaders fear us enough to put a bullet in their "dear leader's" cranium.

Iran will see another revolution in a few short years, this time swinging democratic.

I expect a civil war in Saudi Arabia way down the road (providing democratization is taking place in the middle east). That'll be a good time to NOT be so dependant on oil :? I'd bet they'll be the last to see the changes of democracy.

We'll need another global thinker after Bush, or history will take another turn.... Condi anyone??? :P

-Chris