HB 12 VS HB 91 OR ANY OTHER HOUSE BILL

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

williampelish
*** Banned ***

HB 12 VS HB 91 OR ANY OTHER HOUSE BILL

Post by williampelish »

In my opinion even though I do support it HB 91 will not pass. Only because it is too loose for Ohio. Other than the Vermont/Alaska style of carry I see no real advantages to it. I don't like many things about HB 12. Most people don't like the car carry ordeal. I like it myself. Perosnally I like Fla's No Duty to retreat. So, I am running this as a poll style posting. I am going to post what I would like to see done and what I feel OFCC should support.

I would like to see a bill like this

Car Carry should have an option for the person to cover the firearm or not too.

We should be able to go into resturants that serve liquor if we are not drinking.

Businesses who post the signs incorrectly should be fined 1000.00 as we could face a possible wrongful arrest.

Businesses(Owners/Corps) as well as LEO's should be required to take a course like we did which should be no longer than 5 hours. So they could better understand the rules and or how the law works.

All present laws pertaining to any type of firearm should be banned from the books like Toledo's Open Carry or Col's Assault Rifle/Weapons Ban. ( These should only be ruled by the state)

Posting Palces allowed to post should be such as this :
Courthouses
LEO Stations
Private Business who post the proper signage with the understanding of the above
Jails and or any type of Mental or Correctional facility
Public or Private schools with the provision that we can drop off our kids or be on the property so long as we do not enter the building.
Airports and Train Stations(Train stations might be questionable seeing how recent events have been working out)
Person who wish to carry must obtain a CHL and go thorugh the background check just as we all have already done. However the renewel should be more of a perm basis with random checks and or your Drvs Lis could be used if you took the option to carry when you renewed you DL. (We all know they have a way to run a background check at the any DMV/BMV) However, you have had to of passed the training course.
If you can't hit the damn paper you don't pass the course.(Training issues)

If you guys have any more idea's run them via this post.

Let face it I could go on and on on this one. However, I want to hear side on this.

Will
rhwiley

Re: HB 12 VS HB 91 OR ANY OTHER HOUSE BILL

Post by rhwiley »

I agree with most things, but I think I'd modify and/or tidy a few things up. Let's see here...

Regarding car carry, your idea sounds good - I'd also like to see something like an option for CHL holders where a LEO would be required to ask the CHL holder if there is anything he'd like to discuss outside the cruiser if he says nothing about carrying. This would give the CHL holder the option to tell the officer he's carrying and not alienate anybody in the vehicle. Really I think the whole telling the LEO about it is useless - we're not the ones they really should be worried about.

About alcohol in establishments that serve, I'd place more emphasis on BAC. Just because you wonder into a bar, and not drink doesn't mean you weren't drinking outside in the parking lot 30 minutes earlier.

Regarding CPZ's, I like to see them totally eliminated. I'd also like to see violating rules with weapons in certain areas more stringently punished.

If that couldn't be accomplished, I'd like to see maybe a requirement for training for business owners who opt to make their business areas into CPZ's. I'd also like to see mandatory wrongful-death/injury insurance for people who maintain CPZ's in the amount of the average award for a lawsuit for same.

I agree with your ideas on renewal, but I'd also like to see the requirement to carry the actual card eliminated, and replaced with a stipulation similar to what they say about driver's licenses - you have 24 hours to produce it.

Normally, with the driver's license, the LEO just looks you up, and asks you a few questions (SSN, Birthday, etc). Since the CHL is listed in LEADS, it wouldn't be difficult at all to implement. It actually wouldn't cost anything either, except maybe the paper and ink to print a bulletin to all law enforcement offices through Ohio.

I hope any updating to the law is well thought out. In my opinion, the current law is like a rough draft of a college term paper - it's functional, but many of the details really need worked out more.

Bob Wiley
Last edited by rhwiley on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

I believe in simplicity.

1. Legal adults can carry anywhere for any lawful purpose.
2. Rules are uniform across the board, including in your car.
3. No permit required for anything except for reciprocity in other states, just like in Alaska.
4. An emphasis on responsibility is highly suggested and enforced. This is where the NRA and their attorneys come into play.
5. Cops or sheriffs attempting to ramify these rights are to lose their badge permamently, and all powers of authority.
6. Citizens phoning in "man with gun" scares are to give their names. Should their be no problems at the response, the person making the prank call is busted for it.
7. Castle doctrine is in force. Bad guys, beware.
8. Carrying and being intoxicated carries public endangerment charges, that cannot be pleaded down.
9. CPZ's are forbidden.
10. Media infringement of privacy is a criminal offense, on par with public endangerment.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

Glock and dagger wrote:I believe in simplicity.

1. Legal adults can carry anywhere for any lawful purpose.
2. Rules are uniform across the board, including in your car.
3. No permit required for anything except for reciprocity in other states, just like in Alaska.
4. An emphasis on responsibility is highly suggested and enforced. This is where the NRA and their attorneys come into play.
5. Cops or sheriffs attempting to ramify these rights are to lose their badge permamently, and all powers of authority.
6. Citizens phoning in "man with gun" scares are to give their names. Should their be no problems at the response, the person making the prank call is busted for it.
7. Castle doctrine is in force. Bad guys, beware.
8. Carrying and being intoxicated carries public endangerment charges, that cannot be pleaded down.
9. CPZ's are forbidden.
10. Media infringement of privacy is a criminal offense, on par with public endangerment.

I like these. It gives plenty of good ideas. I would like to see more. Let people know what we are after. I want us all to be heard. That is why I posted this in the first place.

Will
ampleworks

Post by ampleworks »

I like the Kentucky "Ghost Buster" sign policy. While its hard to find the actual text of it in the books, interperated it means if you are carrying into a posted location that is not part of the restricted places by KY Reviced Statute, that they have to ask you to leave before they can call the law. If you leave when requested, they can't do a damn thing. If you refuse, you'll only be charged with misconduct or something along the lines of trespassing...and it will not count against the permit.

After this Kolumbus thing going down this month, it won't be a day too soon till I move south.
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

I hear ya'.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter