Political Affiliation?

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

What Party Do you Align With?

Libertarian
18%
Republican
69%
Democrat
No votes
Other: Please Specify
13%

Total votes: 71

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

pniemeyer wrote:
Sure, there are many things about the law that I do not like and do not make sense but this current law must be viewed as a beginning. It can be modified over time to be more "user friendly". Look at other states that have had lawful CCW longer than Ohio; they are still working to revise their laws. Arizona, I believe, has been working on allowing license holders to carry in establishments that serve alcohol. Georgia was doing the same last Fall.
You got that right! Ya gotta start somewhere! Ya gotta fight fire with fire. The anti's use incremental techniques to try to take away our freedoms. We use incremental techniques to get them back.
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

And his entire despotic party is proof that democracy and democratically elected republics are bad.
And you would propose what? A monarchy? A dictatorship?
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

I nominate John McCain for President!! This man works with both parties and gets the job done.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I voted "other". As in...Bull-Moose Party, or perhaps Keg Party! :wink: Much as I lean Libertarian, I also realize that such views presume that folks can and will take responsibility for themselves. Afraid too many people nowadays couldn't cope with that kind of society, and we'd have to let them die from their own irresponsibility/ineptitude.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

EclecticBuddha wrote:
I usually end up voting Republican because their candidate is usually the one that is closest to my views that actually has a chance of winning
I'm sorry. I'd rather vote for someone who agrees with me than someone who doesnt but might win. Remember, in the last 2 presidential elections 50% of americans "lost".
ElectricBuddha, I think you misunderstood my statement. What I meant is that while I may agree with the libertarian candidate on 95% of the uissues and I agree with republican candidate with 85% of the issues, the libertarian candidate will only get 0.3% of the vote and the republican candidate can actually win the race, so I will vote for the republican candidate. If I thought the republican candidate was going to win or lose by a landslide I would vote libertarian to prove my point. But in a close election I want to make sure my vote counts.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Brian_Horton wrote:
I may agree with the libertarian candidate on 95% of the uissues and I agree with republican candidate with 85% of the issues, the libertarian candidate will only get 0.3% of the vote and the republican candidate can actually win the race, so I will vote for the republican candidate.
Brian has a very valid point. The Libertarian philosophy of "Limited Government" is something that is more closely linked to the Republican Party than the Democratic Party. I believe that more people who would vote Libertarian end up voting Republican because they know that the Libertarian candidate does not have a realistic chance of winning and if enough people vote Libertarin instead of Republican, the Democratic candidate will win.

I know that on the Federal level, the Republicans have not done a good job of reducing the size of Government over the last few years; but in all honesty, I can not recall a Democrat even suggesting that Government might be too big. I keep thinking back to former Senate Majority and Minority Leader, Tom Daschle's, comments about airport screeners. "You can not Professionalize unless you Federalize". All he did was succeed in taking the same employees that were part of the Private Sector and making them Government employees. So now, instead of individual companies paying the employee's wages and benefits, we, the tax payers get the opportunity to pay these costs.

Also, I tend to hear more Democrats championing new legislative rules and regulations to restrict the freedoms of individuals and businesses moreso than Republicans. I am not saying that Republicans do not propose legislation that redueces individual freedoms. It's just that Democrats seem to do it more often and this seems to be something that appeals to Liberal Democratic voters that would not appeal to Libertarians.

All in all, if every voter in Ohio that had a Libertarian leaning voted Libertarian in the 2004 Presidential Election, we would most likely be talking about President John F. Kerry now. While I do not agree with everything President Bush does, I believe he is a man of integrity, who says what he truely believes and does wht he thinks is in the best interest of the United States. With some of the pandering that John Kerry did on the campaign trail (going duck hunting in Ohio and asking in his best redneck drawl, "Is this where I can get me a Huntin' License?") I do not think I could say the same about him.
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

I nominate John McCain for President!! This man works with both parties and gets the job done.
With all due respect to your opinion, I must ask what campaign finance "reform" accomplished. It certainly did not get money out of politics.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I would like to vote Libertarian, but I feel that if I did and a DemocRAT won, I would be partly responsible.
PowerMac

Post by PowerMac »

Libertarian.
d906670
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by d906670 »

I vote for the least of the two evils.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

d906670 wrote:I vote for the least of the two evils.
Why not vote for the most evil? :twisted:
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Only two viable political parties

Post by TunnelRat »

I took the test and came out about 95% Libertarian. However, though I favor limited government and individual rights, I just cannot bring myself to go along with much of the nutball Libertarian rhetoric. Maybe that makes me a "little L" libertarian.

Otherwise, there only seems to be two viable political parties. One seeks to undermine decency, morality, humanity, family, religion, and constitutional government in all its forms. The other doesn't do much of anything at all. I usually vote for the one that doesn't do much...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
EclecticBuddha

Post by EclecticBuddha »

I'm not quite sure how you agree with 95% of Libertarian Planks while still agreeing with 85% of COnservative views sonce by default libertarians disagree with 50% of conservative views (restrictions on businesses).

"And you would propose what? A monarchy? A dictatorship?"

It's cliche time... "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding on dinner." Every human has the rights to property and personal protection. Everything in the constitution stems off of those principles. The problem with democracy, especially our democracy, is that for some reason it is left to the people to decide how mugh we are allowed to exercise our rights. Rights cannot be taken away... they can be made illegal and a crime but rights are inherent and eternal. If all men are created equal then who is anybody else to tell me that I can't carry a firearm. I dont care if the vote is 100,000,000-1. Those people have no place in telling me what I can do. This is why taxes and government programs are so out of control. Because it is voted to be ok to hurt everyone a little bit with taxes to help the few then we say ok and deal with it. This is too damn rambly and long and I hate posts like this.
My father has a .30-06 that has been sitting for probably 20 years or more in a closet. It has probably been fired less than 50 times and has been sitting clean and from the outside looks like new. Should it be ok to fire after all this time or would there be a problem. I'm not sure if tension has been off the firing pin or not so i'd imagine the spring might not work so well. Basically am I risking doing any damage by oiling it up and firing it or should I or someone better schooled in guns give it a once-over.
The pro-liberty part never stops here at the Free Talk Live BBS http://bbs.freetalklive.com
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

EclecticBuddha wrote:I'm not quite sure how you agree with 95% of Libertarian Planks while still agreeing with 85% of COnservative views sonce by default libertarians disagree with 50% of conservative views (restrictions on businesses).
You may have a point. Perhaps that's why I didn't say I agree with 85% of Conservative views.

The primary political difference between Liberals and Conservatives is who they want to put in the concentration camps....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

EclecticBuddha wrote:
My father has a .30-06 that has been sitting for probably 20 years or more in a closet. It has probably been fired less than 50 times and has been sitting clean and from the outside looks like new. Should it be ok to fire after all this time or would there be a problem. I'm not sure if tension has been off the firing pin or not so i'd imagine the spring might not work so well. Basically am I risking doing any damage by oiling it up and firing it or should I or someone better schooled in guns give it a once-over.
As a milsurp collector (cruffler) I fire old guns all the time. Generally, I completely disassemble them, clean and inspect all parts. This is critical since most of those old battle axes were stored with a metal protector called cosmoline.....basically it's axle grease...just a lot more sticky!

As the piece is reassembled I look for any kind of damage. If I find none, and the bolt SN matches the receiver I fire it. After firing I look for any kind of pressure problems which might show up on the case.

What is the maker and the model of this rifle?

My suggestion would be to disassemble the rifle and give it a thorough cleaning. Obviously, scrub the bore good and look for any obstructions or bad spots. Check the crown for damage. If you find some you might need to have the crown freshened. It's a do it yerself job that you can buy the tools for and still have less in it than to pay a smith. If the gun goes to battery without problems, and it feeds and ejects correctly; I'd say you are alright. Inspect the bolt carefully for damage, particularly the locking lugs. You didn't mention if this gun is a bolt, semiauto, or pump. I don't suggest removing the firing group (all those little parts in the receiver) if it is a semiauto or pump. I also don't recommend disassembling any parts from the bolt, unless you happen to have a mauser....they're easy...I can walk you through that.

Just hose out (or soak) the small part assemblies with a solvent. An automotive parts washer is ideal for this. Blow out the gunk with compressed air.If the gun was stored as you say, there shouldn't be much. Follow up with a LIGHT oiling. If your gun is a Remington semiauto, I'm thinking there are O rings in it. I'm guessing here because I've never stripped one. The Remington semi shotguns had/have O rings. These might deteriorate with age. A bad one won't cause a kaboom, prolly just feeding/ejection problems.

As far as springs go, if you have a weak one, which I doubt, it will not create a hazardous condition. Most likely the gun will fail to fire, eject or some other problem like feeding. I wouldn't worry about a kaboom.

Not to insult your intelligence or anything; and it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway so someone on here doesn't try to make me look stupid.....use factory ammo at first, of the correct caliber.

You can take it to a smith...good luck finding one; but he/she will pretty much do the same I just described. He isn't going to fix anything unless there's a problem, and many problems only show up after firing.

If you decide to have the work done professionally it might be easier/better to send the rifle to the armory if it's a company still in business. They are equipped with the right tools and the techs accustomed to working on their own products.

I learned the value of this with smith and wesson. I bought an older mod. 10 that was mechanically sound, but in serious need of a tuneup and a new finish. I sent it back to S&W and they replaced the hammer spring, cleaned the gun, applied a beautiful matte finish, replaced the grips and test fired it. Cost me 165 bucks. It is just like a new revolver as it wasn't used/fired much in the first place...just dirty and ugly.