HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Post by Chuck »

Proponent testimony in favor of HB 142, Repealing Notification, is scheduled as below:

Date = Tuesday 5/16/17
Time = 4pm until all voices are heard
Location = Statehouse room #115

We encourage all who can attend to please do so, and offer testimony if so inclined.
For those who may not be so inclined, (or unable to attend) written testimony is accepted and entered into the record,
Now is the time to make ready if you plan to take part.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: HB 142 Proponent Testimony 5-16-2017

Post by Pops Fun »

That's pretty quick!!!
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Pops Fun wrote:That's pretty quick!!!
It sure is. I'm taking that as a hopeful sign.

It also doesn't escape my notice that the Chair of the Committee, Rep. Roegner, is a co-sponsor of HB142. :mrgreen:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Any chance on getting William Bartlett to either testify or give a written statement in support?
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Not going to make this, taking my sister to hospital for operation.. next time.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
zeko

Post by zeko »

It's on my calendar -- i'm hoping no network troubles a work this time . . .

Zeko
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I'm planning to come but not to testify.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Does anyone know if this bill, HB142 Duty to notify, has gone anywhere?
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The bill has had all it's committee hearings and can't seem to get a vote due to House leadership.
There are currently NINE days the house is scheduled for "session" in 2017.
2018 is an election year
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
TB

Post by TB »

I don't make a lot of comments on here but read it all the time.
It is ridiculous all the Bills that get submitted but never go anywhere in this state. It is like they don't really want us to have concealed carry but to appease the pro second amendment people they submit stuff just so they can say they have and pretend to support us. Most never make it to hearings much less a vote. I would accept a "No" vote because then at least I would see movement of a Bill.
They pass little small items that don't really matter or show they support Vets to make themselves look good, but the Bills that would make changes we need for the better of all just Die.
All politicians care about is themselves, if anyone thinks they care about the people who got them there they are vastly mistaken, they walk that fine line trying to get re-elected again by introducing bills to appease gun rights citizens but not pushing them for a vote to appease anti-gun voters.
Sorry to complain, it is just sad to see what happens in Ohio and most other states.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TB wrote:I don't make a lot of comments on here but read it all the time.
It is ridiculous all the Bills that get submitted but never go anywhere in this state. It is like they don't really want us to have concealed carry but to appease the pro second amendment people they submit stuff just so they can say they have and pretend to support us. Most never make it to hearings much less a vote. I would accept a "No" vote because then at least I would see movement of a Bill.
They pass little small items that don't really matter or show they support Vets to make themselves look good, but the Bills that would make changes we need for the better of all just Die.
All politicians care about is themselves, if anyone thinks they care about the people who got them there they are vastly mistaken, they walk that fine line trying to get re-elected again by introducing bills to appease gun rights citizens but not pushing them for a vote to appease anti-gun voters.
Sorry to complain, it is just sad to see what happens in Ohio and most other states.
Well, generally they can blame someone else for bills not moving. If I want a street named after me it's pretty easy to get a bill submitted for it. Then my legislator can say he did what he could do and he supports me so hopefully I'll re-elect him. Then once it's submitted and goes nowhere, he can say it wasn't his fault they wouldn't give him a hearing for it.

I think if we went to an EVERY bill that is submitted must have a full house vote, you would see a lot less bills even submitted. That could be good or bad. Year after year some sort of constitutional carry bill is submitted. Yet every time we are told it we simply don't have the floor votes or it would be vetoed by the governor and we don't have the votes to override a veto. So it we went to an every bill must have a vote system, and something like that was submitted, then the anti's could be praising more wins instead of bills simply dying and nobody gets to say they won.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

This bill was cruising along very nicely until the three LEO organizations (Ohio FOP, Buckeye State Sheriffs Association & Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police) testified against the bill. Then things started to get wobbly. Chuck heard a rumor the bill was going to be watered down and OFCC sent out an email blast asking everyone to contact his/her state reps. After that, the threatened substitute bill was pulled back.

Basically, the Republicans realize they are going to anger either gun owners or LEO. There is no good compromise that can make both sides happy. If the bill dies at the end of the session (as predicted by the Columbus Dispatch's state house reporter), then the LEO organizations won.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

rickt wrote:This bill was cruising along very nicely until the three LEO organizations (Ohio FOP, Buckeye State Sheriffs Association & Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police) testified against the bill. Then things started to get wobbly. Chuck heard a rumor the bill was going to be watered down and OFCC sent out an email blast asking everyone to contact his/her state reps. After that, the threatened substitute bill was pulled back.

Basically, the Republicans realize they are going to anger either gun owners or LEO. There is no good compromise that can make both sides happy. If the bill dies at the end of the session (as predicted by the Columbus Dispatch's state house reporter), then the LEO organizations won.
Well, I guess the three LEO organizations will go down as anti-2nd amendment and will despise lawful citizens from protecting themselves if the bill does die. In that case I would have to ask myself if the situation would arise; would I help a Sheriff Deputy, Police officer, or State Patrolman if he/she was in trouble? With the evening news headlines of police acting improperly with citizen stops, they are alienating the law abiding citizens they are serving.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

rickt wrote:
And no individual representative will be held accountable.

Republicans also realize that not all gun owners are concealed carriers and that not all concealed carriers care about HB142. So we are a small subset of gun owners with little cash opposed to three large organizations able to extract large sums of cash from members of the profession they represent.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

We need to figure out a way to transform our election system from 'Quid Pro Quo' to 'Pro Quid Quo'.