HB 234, as passed by the legislature

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

davcar45

Re: HB 234, as passed by the legislature

Post by davcar45 »

rickt wrote: Here: http://www.governor.ohio.gov/Portals/0/ ... 0Bills.pdf

Anyone wanting to know the effective date should be aware that the bill still needs to be filed with the secretary of state before the clock starts ticking. Here is where the effective date will be shown:

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/SOS/historic ... rrent.aspx
Great! Thanks for those links.

Jedi, agree about all the stupid stuff. I was just reading it to my wife telling her it was dumb.

From the link on the Sec of State web page:

Disclaimer: No effective date is posted until after the Ohio Secretary of State receives the bill from the Ohio Legislative Service Commission. Because of Ohio Supreme Court interpretations, effective dates posted here are not authoritative, and individuals using the effective dates rely upon them at their own risk.

So what effective date can one rely on if not the official Sec of State web site posting?
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

The Federal camel is now completely inside the Ohio RKBA tent with their adjustable background-check list of disqualifications for concealed carry and LACs get an extra 3 reciprocity states in return.
Good deal ? Time, and the current Administration's remaining lame-duck term anti-RKBA actions will tell.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The Federal camel is now completely inside the Ohio RKBA tent with their adjustable background-check list of disqualifications for concealed carry and LACs get an extra 3 reciprocity states in return.
Good deal ? Time, and the current Administration's remaining lame-duck term anti-RKBA actions will tell.
I don't think that is the case.
zeko

Post by zeko »

According to a press release at http://www.governor.ohio.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the governor signed HB234 today.

{Edited out personal information}
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

davcar45 wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:The Federal camel is now completely inside the Ohio RKBA tent with their adjustable background-check list of disqualifications for concealed carry and LACs get an extra 3 reciprocity states in return.
Which part ? Or do you mean all ?
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

I am surprised I did not see any "There will be blood on the streets!" and "Now every gun nut in Ohio can now have a machine gun!" in the local newspapers.
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
davcar45 wrote:
Which part ? Or do you mean all ?
I think the aligning Ohio law with Federal law stuff was stripped out of this bill. Yes there is a NICS check but the rest of the things that had to do with changing definitions of domestic violence and the things about restored rights being overturned by federal law etc are all gone.

The feeling among most I think is if you can't pass NICS, you are prohibited by federal law from possession or ownership of firearms. What this bill does is not going to change any of that regardless what this administration or any other does with the list of NICS prohibitions. If you can somehow be denied during a NICS check but still pass the OH CHL background check as it stands today, you are in a very small minority. You have a CHL, but you can't buy a gun from a dealer.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Owning a gun and carrying a concealed gun are two different freedoms; remember how the law was before 2004 ? Two separate sets of laws. Zippy (the camel) will now be in charge of both.
To get the complete picture, replace all the "law" words in the above paragraph with the word 'infringements'; not just the narrow legal viewpoint.
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

When were we not tied to federal law when it comes to guns? That all ended in 1968.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

curmudgeon3 wrote:The Federal camel is now completely inside the Ohio RKBA tent with their adjustable background-check list of disqualifications for concealed carry ...
The NICS requirement will not allow the federal government to expand CHL disqualifiers. Paranoia notwithstanding, the disqualifiers will remain as stated in the new R.C. 2923.125(D)(1) until it is further amended.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Werz wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:The Federal camel is now completely inside the Ohio RKBA tent with their adjustable background-check list of disqualifications for concealed carry ...
The NICS requirement will not allow the federal government to expand CHL disqualifiers. Paranoia notwithstanding, the disqualifiers will remain as stated in the new R.C. 2923.125(D)(1) until it is further amended.
Help me cure my Obama Administration paranoia :) ; are you saying after 234 goes into effect, Ohio Revised Code will preempt any changes the Fed. makes to their NICS qualification check for an Ohio concealed carry license ?
Please explain, rather than just a yes or no okay.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

curmudgeon3 wrote:
Werz wrote:
Help me cure my Obama Administration paranoia :) ; are you saying after 234 goes into effect, Ohio Revised Code will preempt any changes the Fed. makes to their NICS qualification check for an Ohio concealed carry license ?
Please explain, rather than just a yes or no okay.
The sheriff will be required to check the NICS database when performing a background check for a CHL. However, the CHL disqualifiers will be only those described in R.C. 2923.125(D)(1). Except for the definitions of "controlled substance" and "alien [not] admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa," none of the disqualifiers refer to federal law. And even to the extent that the statute refers to federal law, only federal law in effect at the time of the enactment applies; no amendment of the federal law will apply unless the Ohio statute is amended, too.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Werz, are you saying if one fails the NICS they can still obtain a CHL as long as they pass the requirements in (D)(1)? That's the way I'm taking what you are saying and I disagree as the first part of 2923.125 (it's not even labeled (A) or anything) says....

Sec. 2923.125. It is the intent of the general assembly that Ohio concealed handgun license law be compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, that the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives is able to determine that Ohio law is compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, and that no person shall be eligible to receive a concealed handgun license permit under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code unless the person is eligible lawfully to receive or possess a firearm in the United States.

Now, on curmudgeon3's concern, personally it's a non-concern. Why does one need a CHL if they legally can't possess a handgun? Could Obama and his cronies expand NICS to include any hospital visit for mental health as a disqualifier? Sure. But if he does at that point he'd be changing federal law and one couldn't even legally own a handgun then. They'd have a different battle to fight and the CHL IMO is the least of their worries.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Werz, are you saying if one fails the NICS they can still obtain a CHL as long as they pass the requirements in (D)(1)? That's the way I'm taking what you are saying and I disagree as the first part of 2923.125 (it's not even labeled (A) or anything) says....

Sec. 2923.125. It is the intent of the general assembly that Ohio concealed handgun license law be compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, that the bureau of alcohol, tobacco, firearms and explosives is able to determine that Ohio law is compliant with the national instant criminal background check system, and that no person shall be eligible to receive a concealed handgun license permit under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code unless the person is eligible lawfully to receive or possess a firearm in the United States.
Which means what? A statement of intent? Does that have more substantive value than "Committee Comments"? Are you familiar with the Due Process concept of "void for vagueness"?

The "statement of intent" was the bone they (and you know who I mean) threw out to appease Texas on reciprocity when certain mean SOBs did just about everything possible to sabotage the federal disabilities being slipped into R.C. 2923.13. It describes no substantive disqualifiers, and it has no more value than to claim that the disqualifiers under R.C. 2923.125(D)(1) comply with federal law. Attempting to enforce that "statement of intent" as an objective statement of law gets into real constitutional law issues that are beyond the scope of just reading an Ohio Revised Code provision.

And regarding the fear that da Fedz can change Ohio law by amending the underlying federal law, this ain't our first rodeo. The Ohio Supreme Court addressed this issue years before licensed concealed carry became lawful in Ohio:
"The General Assembly may adopt provisions of federal statutes that are in effect at the time the state legislation is enacted. *** [T]he General Assembly may update and revise [the Ohio statute] to incorporate amended versions of the federal *** law." State v. Gill, 63 Ohio St.3d 53, 56 (1992).
Unless the Ohio law is amended, the only federal law which can be enforced by reference is that which existed at the time.
-- BobK
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Werz wrote:
"no amendment of the federal law will apply unless the Ohio statute is amended, too."
"Unless the Ohio law is amended, the only federal law which can be enforced by reference is that which existed at the time."
It appears :? that you are saying that the Ohio Revised Code will preempt any Federal NCIS changes to the concealed carry check by the Obama anti-RKBA assaults in the future. Under those circumstances I'm all for 234 (I think :? ) in exchange for three extra reciprocity states.