Lake county relief of disability question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jharth43

Lake county relief of disability question

Post by Jharth43 »

Hey all. When I was a young teenager, 15+ years ago, I was getting into trouble and trying to {inappropriate language} my father off.
he didn't know what else to do with me, so he stuck me in Laurelwood behavioral clinic for a week. this place is also considered a mental facility.
I called them today, the receptionist said they destroy their records after ten years. meaning, mine are gone. I couldn't get a copy if I wanted to.
There is a check box on the firearm purchase sheet, something along the lines of "have you ever been involuntarily committed to a mental institution."
Not wanting to lie, I checked yes. they cant even run my background check with a "yes".

now, is this at all like criminal cases, where anything that may have occurred as a minor is sealed after becoming of legal age?
how do I find out if I am considered to be a "mental defective"?
if so, how do I go about filing for relief from the disability if I cant even get a copy of my records?
I'm kind of stuck on what to do from here..

Thank you in advance.
Justin.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lake county relief of disability question

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Since your father put you in there and not a judge, you have NOT been "adjudicated" as a mental defective.

Also, without existing records, you have never been "committed" anywhere.
MyWifeSaidYes