CCW license question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

steelpinner

CCW license question

Post by steelpinner »

Would a conviction of aggravated menacing 8 years disqualify you from getting a CCW license? Or would you be ok because it happened more than 3 years ago? Having a hard time interpreting the questions you are asked on the application. It sounds like you would be disqualified. Thanks
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW license question

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aggravated Menacing appears to be considered 'a crime of violence' and is at minimum a 1st degree misdemeanor.

As such, it falls into the chasm between Section III questions #8 and #9.

Regarding a 'misdemeanor crime of violence', Question #8 wants a 'Yes' answer in your scenario (Have you ever...) but Question #9 would allow a 'No' answer (...within three years...).

Was this a felony instead of a misdemeanor? Also, was this conviction as a juvenile or an adult?

If adult & felony, I would recommend contacting a gun lawyer.

Otherwise, at a minimum, I would ask a couple different Sheriffs how they would process the application...but I still might contact a gun lawyer.

I use this one: http://ohiogunlawyer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
steelpinner

Re: CCW license question

Post by steelpinner »

Thanks for replying. It was a misdemeanor 1st degree as an adult, no felony. I've emailed a few people and even the state attorney asking if this offense would disqualify me getting a CCW and I haven't had a reply from anyone. Also thanks for the recommendation for the attorney.